F-18 vapor, trails, and visual fx massive fps drop

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

no

Brief description of the issue:

de aparecer los efectos visuales de vapor mis fps se van a pique. Esto no ocurre con ningun otro efecto como polvo o contrail que aparecen en otros aviones. Solo ocurre con el F-18

clear

volume_up

246 / 5,000

Resultados de traducción

Every time I do a high G maneuver with the F-18 at the moment the vapor visual effects appear my fps goes down. This does not occur with any other effects such as dust or contrail that appear on other planes. It only happens with the F-18

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

high G manouver

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

SU9

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Yes

Contrary to the original report this issue does affect other aircraft. The SU-57 and the Mig Fulcrum (both by Deimos) also have this issue. I get a drop from 60ish to approx. 14 FPS with all 3 of these aircraft.

DC/SC Designs aircraft F15/F16 do not have this problem.

In addition it should be noted that the vortex effects do not need to be onscreen for the FPS to drop, sitting in the cockpit and doing a high G manouvre will cause the same drop in FPS.

2 Likes

Yes.

My system: windows 10, 5600x + rtx 2070s + 16GB (dual channel, 3600MHz).

Like @Spook1234567890 mentioned, this happens as well in cockpit view where the new f18 visual effect is not even rendered, so likely not a GPU-side problem, more like CPU side.

3 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/r/flightsim/comments/ud3j0i/new_f18_visual_effects_destroy_fps_in_sim_update_9/?sort=new Someone reported the same issue on reddit as well.

1 Like

DC Designs and SC Designs have just updated the F-14 and F-16 respectively to include the new effects. Unfortunately both of these aircraft now show the same behaviour as the F/A-18. Now I have 5 broken aircraft. Great!

In DC Designs changelog 0.5.0 “Added Asobo special effects for G vapour, contrails etc”
In SC Designs changelog 1.03 “New Asobo visual effects added for G vapour, contrails, Mach cone”

Any chance of a hotfix as this is causing so many aircraft to be completely unflyable?

45,000 feet, clear skies, over middle of the ocean, online functionality off, graphics on standard ultra DX11, drop in FPS from 70s to 14.

5900X, 3080, 32GB Ram, SSD

Both Deimos and DC/SC Designs have been most responsive but unfortunately believe it to be an Asobo problem. Their aircraft are using the new effects as per the F/A-18. The effects seem to have broken not only their own aircraft but all third party aircraft as well that use their high G effects.

Hopefully Asobo will look at this ASAP.

2 Likes

Same problem on my system. The Wilson cloud on the back of the F-18 causes a massive FPS drop. Problem is reproducible.

Windows 10 21H2, Nvidia RTX 3080Ti @4K WHQL Driver 512.59, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32 GB DDR4-3200, WDBlack 500GB NVMe M.2.

If desired, I can also private message DxDiag.txt to a developer.

apparently all of us who have this problem use AMD cpu :thinking:

3 Likes

@SebTajtaj You could be correct.

Default F18,
10600K,
6800xt, 22.3.1
= no drop in fps at any alt, external or internal view.

1 Like

I use the ROG Strix X570-E Gaming Motherboard with UEFI 4204. This UEFI contains AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.6b.

I made a Video about it: FPS-Drop on F-18

1 Like

I did a complete uninstall/reinstall today. The reinstall is currently just the mandatory install which includes the F/A-18.

On ultra I get FPS in the 80s over the ocean which drops to a steady 15 FPS when high G effects are instigated. On low settings I am getting FPS in the 120s and this also drops to 15FPS when high G manoeuvres are used.

Having the same issue with all the listed aircraft. Did a fresh reinstall and no effect. Running a Ryzen 5800X, EVGA 3070, and ROG strix mobo.

1 Like

YES

Any higher G manouver causes a massive loss of FPS. GPU use drops instantly to 10-20%, CPU use is also still under 30%. Only seems to affect the F-18 and since the vortex effects were added, none of the other standard aircraft affected. I also have FBW A320, Bf109, H135 and no issues with any other aircraft (although none would feature vortex effects)

AMD 5600X, RTX3070Ti, 32GB RAM.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Any update on this issue from Asobo? I was the one that reported it on Reddit a while back and haven’t seen anything new.

1 Like

No, I tested the latest game version after world update 9, issue is still there :upside_down_face: This issue needs more votes. @ROMILOWITZ

Also experiencing this Issue. I play in VR so I didn’t get exact performance but it tanks to unplayable when I pull high G’s in the FA-18
Asus ROG X-470-F Gaming
Ryzen 7 5800X
Asus RTX 3070
16 GB DDR5

The issue appears to have been fixed in the Top Gun: Maverick update. Reddit Post.

This has certainly NOT been fixed for me, still exactly the same massive slowdown as soon as I pull up even the slightest bit.

2 Likes

Oh man, that sucks. I wonder how others will fare with this update? I haven’t changed any settings and it magically seemed to work for me.

I have exactly the same issue.
AMD System Ryzen 7 5800 and GTX 3080 graphics card. Massive FPS drops when F18 trails are kicking in. Basically unplayable…