F-35 Landing Difficulties

I am having a tremendous amount of difficulty landing the F-35, conventional. No issues with ANY other aircraft including the F-18, citations, several GA aircraft…

Pretty much no matter what I do when I’m over the numbers and set up to flare, the plane becomes almost non-responsive then suddenly wants to sink and then is very difficult to flare mostly resulting in it slamming down or bouncing.

I’ve tried multiple speeds, angles of attack, flare heights, I’ve got no wind set to practice proper approaches and it doesn’t matter. I’ve watched videos and read what the real F-35 V ref and AoA should be and it ain’t happening with the sim.

Anyone else notice the same? Any advice? It’s actually so ridiculous that I’m close to ignoring the purchase and moving on. I know it’s a game but the most technologically advanced 5th Gen $190 million jet is not this hard to land… something is wrong with the logic of this aircraft in the sim.

Thanks for any insights.

1 Like

Hi! I’m having the same issue with all 3 variants of the F-35. Did you ever find a solution to the problem?

Have you tried lowering the flaps? Which disables FlyByWire and trim at or under 180kts

It’s not a flaps issue. At about 50ft off the deck, the nose points down and it takes a lot of pull to pick the nose back up. It’s a mess trying to land it. Has nothing to do with speed or AoA. Once it reaches 50ft or so, it plummets. It happens about 95% of the time on all 3 variants.

In addition, on takeoff, I can get off the deck and then suddenly it pitches up hard. Same with the F-18. Don’t know why that happens either.

It’s a Flaps/FBW “issue” that needs some understanding as to how it works.
See manual:

2 Likes

Thank you for this, and the other commenter was correct, too. I never would have looked for this, so thank you!

2 Likes

No problemo, it’s a complex aircraft.
Recommend always reading the manual if a developer has gone to the effort to create one.:ok_hand:

CGAviator also has some useful videos:

I did. Disable the FBW by actuating the flaps. It’s really not doing anything with flaps rather it overrides FBW with manual control.

I can land the aircraft very nicely in this config. IRL the F-35A land between 140-170 IAS and 13deg AoA but that’s really not achievable per the current sim flight model.

1 Like