F/A 18 nose wheel steering

HI all,
Thought I had it figured out but nope - I mapped the nose wheel steering to my joystick rudder axis, and taxi’d the F/A 18 - The steering is very very subtle - doing 5 to 10 knots. What have I done wrong?
Thanks
PaulyFSPauly

Nosewheel steering on the F-18 has to be activated. If you map the “Set NWS to Limit” command to rudder axis, aren’t you continually inputting that activation/toggle command every time you use the rudder?

Hi @DashingLeper
I have no idea! Sure doesnt work though.

So - any advice please? I still dont know how to ground steer the F/A 18.

Thanks
PaulyFSPauly

1. Bind “SET NOSE WHEEL STEERING TO LIMIT” in your control options

2. Bind “SET G LIMITER” in your control options

3. When ready to taxi, press the “SET NOSE WHEEL STEERING TO LIMIT” button that you just assigned. You should see “NWS” in the center right of your HUD. This button is a toggle, it toggles between “NWS”, regular Nose Wheel Steering, and “NWS HI”, Nose Wheel Steering High which allows your nose wheel to turn to a higher degree.

4. When you are lined up on the runway and ready to begin your takeoff roll, press the “SET G LIMITER” to disable Nose Wheel Steering.

10 Likes

Thanks for that @akfouronesix

1 Like

Anyone have any suggestions on what button combos to use on an Xbox controller? Before take off the Hornet steers fine using the triggers. After takeoff and landing they no longer steer the plane. I can’t bind the triggers to work as it does before takeoff.

EDIT: I bound the Nose Wheel Steering Axis to Left Stick. Then bound the Steering to Limit to Right Stick click + Y and the G limiter to Right Stick click + B

It’s working well enough I suppose.

There is a button on the front of the stick to activate nose wheel steering. Problem is, I cannot figure out how to see that button to activate it. The only way I have been able to do so is via the checklist.
Thanks
Pat

Stick over to right and press the set steering button

Simple easy quick F/A 18 nose wheel. No change to controllers or flight sticks.

Roughly half way down the left side of the yoke is nose wheel steering switch. It does not light up it just becomes labeled. It is tricky but be patient when finding it.

Rough area of location. Also, play with zoom to find it. Sometimes works far away and other times works up close. This my first post, hope it helps. If you click on paddle switch, it will disengage the nose wheel.

Just tested it out. High is for carriers and low is for airports.

Tried to send a picture hope it works.

3 Likes

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.