F/A-18 Random Engine Out - Incorrect Fuel sequencing

Gladly! I´ll setup a project in github later and share my cfg and a scheme i made to facilitate my understanding of the fuel system (or maybe you already have one?)

1 Like

Only some very badly drawn diagrams with notes - already stained by the coffee cup bases.

Just wanted to say you guys are doing great work. Can’t wait to get this problem fixed. Hopefully this is the start of some great modding down the road. There is lots of potential here and I can guess that Asobo won’t have much time to spend on improving this much at least for now. Maybe since it’s not a premium deluxe plane I will be pleasantly surprised. But anyway, I pretty much only fly the F-18 in DCS and my expectations for this E model were pretty low. I was actually surprised that it looks good and is decent to fly. I know it has problems but for me at least I am happy with it. I’m not looking to use weapons anyway in MSFS. I just want to fly low-levels and training flights out to MOAs and cross countries with it. And carrier ops when we get there. Thanks for your great work and Happy Thanksgiving.

My files are here: GitHub - CBGonzalez/MSFS-F18-Fuel_System: A correction to the stock MSFS F18
As it is now, the cfg file CRASHES THE SIM! I´m just sharing a work in progress to all. Use (or not) as you please :slight_smile: .

The PDF is just a crude diagram (as it is now, then as I think it could be. The second slide is a representation of the cfg file (or should be hehe).

1 Like

Excellent for doing that cgb, Have added to Favorites.

That should become the Focus of this Mod for the F/A-18 E - and, perhaps others . . .

I’ve had a frustrating day discovering that the Thresholds don’t hold over Initial Fuel Loadings - so that - if you push the Sliders up to 100% on all tanks then my Mod doesn’t dispense fuel correctly across the tanks. Similarly, if you chose to load less than 50% Fuel - it fails too.

I know it’s to do with the Triggers and Thresholds - but by Jimmminy - that darn tank 2 just refuses to accept fuel unless conditions are exact - and we can’t expect simmers to load OUR Fuel amounts when the sim gives you a Slider to randomly fill the Overall tanks as much as your whimsical Flight Plan dictates.

Oh well, I’m done with today. Tomorrow’s another opportunity to grapple with the code.

I feel your pain, hehe. Frustrated here that a bad cfg file even crashes in developer mode (when i put my version replacing the default one and do a resync).

I wonder how the commercial folks are doing it… it can´t be one change - CTD - another change -CTD etc

you can test these changes:

Line.1  = Name:LeftWingTankToLeftWingTransferValve#Source:LeftWingTank#Destination:LeftWingTransferValve#GravityBasedFuelFlow:10000
Line.2  = Name:LeftWingTransferValveToCenterTank4#Source:LeftWingTransferValve#Destination:CenterTank1#GravityBasedFuelFlow:10000
Line.3  = Name:RightWingTankToRightWingTransferValve#Source:RightWingTank#Destination:RightWingTransferValve#GravityBasedFuelFlow:10000
Line.4  = Name:RightWingTransferValveToCenterTank4#Source:RightWingTransferValve#Destination:CenterTank4#GravityBasedFuelFlow:10000

Wing tanks valve fuel flow increased 100 times, left wing tank linked with CenterTank1 (before both feed CenterTank4). Still fuel system does not seem to be accurate, also cross feed valve is broken - left engine goes out earlier than right (on 9% of total fuel level). Fix will be included into Warrior mod v3.0

2 Likes

Been finally making some sense of the SDK, getting the wing tanks working was easy enough, they just left out the triggers to actually open the valves…

Keeping an eye on the other solutions, but so far have wing tanks that feed tank 4 and can keep up with afterburner flow. Looking into getting the left engine not flaming out while the still having over 1000lbs of gas in the jet and CG balancing tanks 1 and 4 a bit more, then will see about crossfeeds.

Hi chaps. Sorry AWOL today doing major boring real world stuff - you know how that gets in the way!

What news - what’s happening?

A glance at above looks like we’ve all arrived on the same rather frustrating page; i,e; Wing tanks pumping like champs to fill center tanks. Tank 3 staying pegged at 100% even with afterburners in but that darn’ tank 2 emptying - even though being supplied by the same method for tank 3.

Do we have a bug somewhere outside the flight_model.cfg that we just ain’t going to squash?
Hugely disappointing if that’s the case.
Oh well, weekend’s here - time to get covered in JP-4 from the F/A-18’s fuel lines.

1 Like

Will be a bit before I get to dig some more, have the wings feeding tank 4, and tank 1 feeding tank 2 whenever I want it. The issue now has been getting tank 4 to feed both tank 2 and 3, so that I can start working on a tank 1 schedule to maintain CG balance. I’m thinking I might just have to give the pump more juice, but need more time to tinker.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s fine tinkering isn’t it? I’ll have a look in the morning too - to get Tank 2 to fill like tank 3. I really hope it’s not a problem elsewhere.

1 Like

So I was able to get tank4 filling tank2 and tank3 at the same time. Now working around the following issues once the fuel scheduling opens the tank1 valve. Either tank4 overpowers tank1 and nothing flows out until tank4 is empty, which defeats the whole purpose of fuel scheduling. Or I turn off the feed from tank4 to tank2, and if using afterburner tank2 is drawing fuel faster than tank1 can keep up at that point.

Worst case scenario I may look at option 2 as “good enough” first release, then look into rebuilding the fuel system from the ground up.

The sad part is, after a little cleanup, the only reason the wing tanks don’t work in the stock jet is because the gravity flow was set too low, the rest of the code works as is.

1 Like

I also was having issues with the fuel systems in thFA-18E, so I made a modified flight_model.cfg that added pumps for the main tanks as well as correcting the fuel flow between tank 4 and tanks 2 and 3. I currently have it at flightsim.to if anyone wants to have a look, and if you have any suggestions let me know.

Roughrider

Sooooo Asobo, can we please have a centerline, and wing tanks for the F-18, would be nice to be able to fly the jet longer than an hour without having to add fuel…

Voted. Mostly for the aesthetic. I like my F/A-18s thicc

2 Likes

Yes, please add the tanks…

2 Likes

Please !!!

for me external tanks make all ac are ugly, no excludes, but i voted, because this good stuff for most of users, and this is optional of course

As it happens the Asobo aircraft doesn’t actually even use all the loaded fuel. There are errors in the .cfg

A great thread discusses the issue. Really worth reading.

Okay . . .Thread starter here - we’ve had a bit of a bish Thread Merge here which has put 4 day old Threads ahead of what was happening on this Thread just a few hours ago.

TO CLARIFY;
Raynen has posted an excellent manual fix to the flight_model.cfg if you want to follow that. . .

Raynen’s Manual Fix:

Do this to your .cfg (at your own risk);

“The trick was to create a new junction. Then setup inbound lines from tanks 1 and 4, then outbound lines to tanks 2 and 3. Tanks 1 and 4 feed the junction, then the junction feeds tanks 2 and 3 at the same time. The bugger is trying to schedule the tank 1 and 4 feeds to keep them within about 80gals for CG purposes. I tried setting up triggers to open and close the tank1 valve as needed, but it tends to ignore the trigger and do what it wants.”

AND RoughriderTM has posted his FIX here; (and also, do this at your own risk)

Now - F/A-18 E/F Pilots - report your findings please - and most importantly - report how much fuel you had, AND IN WHAT TANKS the day the Music died. . . i,e; the Engines went out and Report which Fix you were using at the time.

Nice One Centurions.

2 Likes