F/A 18 TopGun Landing Challenge Missing

Are you on Steam or Microsoft Store version?
Steam

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?
No

Brief description of the issue:
New F/A 18 Landing Challenge missing. I have 32+ hours in flight, only ever done a very brief amount of “Discovery” flying. Mostly World Map.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:
Version: https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1871804141026823175/EE937FEACC94FC6DC3D0A8BE4A79FD79DA253043/?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false
Homepage: https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1871804141026822870/3E08A67555203D5ECF522DCCE8897D8D97CC858C/?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false
Flight time: https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1871804141026823010/9C7AEEFF5C85BA4118199E8C9B7F1AD23C3BE77D/?imw=2048&imh=1152&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=true

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:
Start Game.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up of relevant:
DS4 Controller.
I7 8700k + 1080ti + 32gb Ram + 1TB nvme SSD

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:
Latest build (GOTY 1.21.13.0)

I am led to believe that if you do a couple of discovery flights, the basic handling and airliner training activities then there is a good chance it will show up.

@Raynen might be able to shed more light on this based on some experiences he has had with this.

1 Like

From the patch notes;

4 hours of existing flight time in a non-Discovery flight (free flight, landing challenges, bush trips, etc.) are required to display the event on the homepage, which replaces the Discovery Flight shortcut.

Though I believe the Free Flight is not tracking correctly for that, or it refers to something other than starting flights via the World Map. In my experience you need 4 hours cumulative of landing challenges, bush trips, and/or flight training before it adds the Miramar Landing Challenge.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions.

From the patch notes;

4 hours of existing flight time in a non-Discovery flight (free flight, landing challenges, bush trips, etc.) are required to display the event on the homepage, which replaces the Discovery Flight shortcut.

I just completed the Airlines training and still not showing. Pretty sure I am pushing 4 or more hours in the challenges etc. It is just not showing for whatever bugged reason.

I am surprised no one else has mentioned this issue, surely I can’t be the only one.

1 Like

@uniflare Check your messages.

1 Like

Hey Raynen,

The community comes through again.
Thank you, I followed the steps and when launching the game the space was blank, so I replaced the files with the original and relaunched the game and now I can see the MCAS MIRARMAR challenge.

I don’t know if it was forcing some kind of refresh by removing and replacing that section, or if it something else triggered it (convenient timing), but now it works!

Thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am having the same issue with over 80hrs on my logbook of flight time. Could you shine some light on the solution that worked?

You need at least 4 hours of flight time from the “Activities” section. The next time you start the simulator after that’s done you should see the challenge.

2 Likes

I have 88 hrs logged in game (update broke recording flights a year ago) and 500+ hrs according to steam and this doesn’t show up for me either.

You will want to PM Raynen, he gave me a workaround that fixed it for me.

Hi Raynen, can you share the solution? I have more then enough hours, did training… nothing on the home screen ;(

Seeing as this has still been problematic, this is an available workaround

This will give you access to the landing challenge while waiting for the sim to see you’ve ‘met’ the requirements.

Go to your main MSFS folder->Official->OneStore->fs-base->widgets and make a backup of WidgetsHomepage.xml.
Open WidgetsHomepage.xml and delete the following;

Then go to this line and change “FALSE” to “TRUE”

and it will give you access to the challenge.

Once you meet the regular conditions though, that section of the home menu will simply go blank, at that point just delete the modified file and restore the backup file.

1 Like

tnx this works !!