F/A-18E Arresting Hook - Too High in Down/Extended Position

Please tag your post with pc and/or xbox. PC

Are you on Steam or Microsoft Store version? Steam

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it? No

Brief description of the issue:
Currently on the F/A-18E the arresting hook/tailhook when lowered stops with the end a few feet above the ground. The hook should hang below the plane of landing gear ground contact points in flight and should drag on the ground when on deck. (The latter is necessary to engage short field/long field/overrun arresting gear if field arrested landing is directed for various emergency procedures.)

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:
Is:

Should Be:

Detail steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

1. Complete “Before Starting Engine” and “Starting Engine” checklists.
  2. Click Tail Hook handle to move downward into extended position.
  3. Select external/chase camera.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up of relevant: not assessed as relevant

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue: SU7

On mine when sitting level on the ground, when I lower it, it will touch the ground. And if your landing with it, your going to be in a nose up position, which of course would make it level with the main gear.

So maybe its just a bad animation, check it in a couple of different locations and circumstances and see if it doesnt change.

Thanks, I tried it at a few different airports, as well as temporarily moving everything out of the Community packages folder (it was just Working Title G3000, a 787 livery, and a handful of scenery items), and there was no change.

Curious, what exactly are you grabbing with the tail hook?

Nothing yet, but it would become more relevant when the Top Gun DLC eventually gets released with supposedly working aircraft carriers, etc. Just going by the whole crew resource management (CRM) thing in that it’s better to communicate early if you see a potential issue when it might be easier to fix than at the last minute…

1 Like

I’d assume that if they are going to model working arresting systems, they’ll notice that the hook isn’t working…