F/A18E Fuel System Overhaul - Aka "I heard you all want more gas?"

Enough changes to separate this out from the Fuel Sequencing bug thread going forward.

F/A18E Fuel System Overhaul » Microsoft Flight Simulator

F/A-18E Fuel System Overhaul 1.1.1

Installation: Based on desired configuration, copy folder “f-18e-ferry-mode” or “f-18e-clean-config” to your Microsoft Flight Simulator Community folder.

Release Notes: Version 1.1.1

Rebuilt Fuel System from scratch
-Utilized Engine Driven Pumps to better simulate Motive Flow Pumps
-Added Motive Flow backup pumps from Tank4->Tank3 and Tank1->Tank2 in case of electric pump failure
-Add Fuel Imbalance Valves between Tanks 2 and 3

Release Notes: Version 1.0.1

Added folders to chose either Clean Config without external tank fuel or Ferry Config with external tank fuel

FUEL DDI
-Adjusted FUEL DDI page to display current Bingo Value instead of static value of 3500
-Adjusted FUEL DDI Page Internal Value to only show internal tanks when using Ferry Config
-Adjusted FUEL DDI Page Total Value to update based on total quantity instead of capacity

Release Notes: Version 0.8.1

Removed unused references to B748i fuel system

Added Feed Tank Fuel Line
-Connected Tank4 to Feed Tank Input Line
-Connected Tank2 and Tank3 to Feed Tank Output line

Increased Wing Tank Gravity Flow to better simulate Motive Flow Pumps
-Adjusted Wing Tank Balancing Triggers to prevent issue where 0 Gal imbalance can cause both Wing Tank Valves to close

Redirected Tank1 transfer pump to Tank4
-Adjusted Tank1 transfer scheduling to maintain optimum CG

Added Centerline and Inboard Drop Tanks (code only, no external models)
-Added

Adjusted FUEL DDI Page to properly display fuel levels of Drop Tanks

6 Likes

Thank you!

This Mod works perfectly to correct Fuel Flow from the tanks and to give the F/A-18 accurate Fuel Flow behavior - as well as the additional Endurance from the external tanks - in the sim.

Bravo.

2 Likes

Thanks very much for this much needed feature.

Can I request another feature?

ILS & DME tuning would be highly beneficial (if you’re willing and capable).

Raynen,
Please clarify for an idiot - when you go Flaps Full, Gear Down and start the transition down to AOA PA - what’s the deal with Stick Pitch commands and actual dialing in Trim?
They appear to conflict with one another. From YT I’ve watched some say you should be OFF Pitch Inputs almost altogether - just relying on Speed Decreases and Trim Up and Throttle inputs.
Please talk an old fool through the difference between the two and the hireachy in the sim between Trim and stick inputted Pitch commands - below, say 220 KIAS.
Forgive me for saying but in your excellent Tutorial in the Advanced Pilot Guides I find it’s a little ambiguous what Inputs you are saying are performing Trim and Pitch functions after FCS expiry at Full Flaps/ Gear Down/ KIAS below 250 - and establishment of PA.

PA(Powered Approach) mode will activate once you’ve met the following 3 criteria ;
Landing Gear down
Flaps Half/Full
Airspeed below 250 KIAS

Now that you’re in PA mode the FCS will constantly be adjusting Pitch Trim to maintain AoA. For example if you’ve not touched anything during this process it currently will be targeting around 2.5 AoA. So now as you continue to slow down, the AoA naturally starts to increase, so the FCS will trim the nose down to maintain 2.5 AoA.

If you give one click of Nose Up trim input, the target AoA will now be changed to 2.6, if you give a click of Nose Down it would change the target to 2.4. For landing purposes you want approximately 7.5 AoA.

While you get used to it, it’s best to slowly adjust the target as the jet slows, because if you set it to 7.5 while still zooming along at 200+KIAS the FCS is pointing your nose up to the moon to try to hit 7.5 AoA.

So - if you’re inputting TRIM Inputs - as the KIAS decreases - what are you doing with the Stick? - are you still doing Inputs on the Stick to maintain FPV?
I’m confused - because it seems Stick Inputs are conflicting - almost fighting - against the Trim Changes at this point (below 230 KIAS) and counter-acting each other - causing wild Nose-Up/ Nose-Down Pitch movements - leading to rapid departure from Height, etc.

Once trimmed out, roll inputs only.

At what point should you be fully Trimmed Out?
What’s the picture on the HUD?
So, as you say - Stick Inputs become a moot point?
Weather seems to move the Ball Park quite a lot, so do other factors-Fuel Amount, etc.
How do we make sure it’s Roll Inputs Only down to the Carrier or the concrete?

You should be fully trimmed out by mid downwind, it should look roughly like this

ebracket

1 Like

Okay. I have a busy day tomorrow doing this.
Thanks Raynen.

Mod updated with the following changes, new version is already live at flightsim.to using the link in the first post.

Release Notes: Version 1.0.1

Added folders to chose either Clean Config without external tank fuel or Ferry Config with external tank fuel

FUEL DDI
-Adjusted FUEL DDI page to display current Bingo Value instead of static value of 3500
-Adjusted FUEL DDI Page Internal Value to only show internal tanks when using Ferry Config
-Adjusted FUEL DDI Page Total Value to update based on total quantity instead of capacity

I will likely be leaving things at this point for now, any further changes are beyond what I can easily implement.

1 Like

Minor update uploaded to flightsim.to

Release Notes: Version 1.1.1

Rebuilt Fuel System from scratch
-Utilized EngineDriven Pumps to better simulate Motive Flow Pumps
-Added Motive Flow backup pumps from Tank4->Tank3 and Tank1->Tank2 in case of electric pump failure
-Add Fuel Imbalance Valves between Tanks 2 and 3

2 Likes

G’day Raynen,

1.1.1 both modes, default FA18. I’m unable to shut down the engines.
Both throttles will move into off position but engines do not shut down. Fuel not cutting off?
(Left mouse hold, right click)

Removed 1.1.1 and shut down is possible/normal.

Tested:
-No other mods, external load or Comm folder.
-Throttle(s) mapped on 3d Pro Stick; as engine1 and 2 but also tried as throttle axis.
Throttle(s) working fine as always, both mappings. Stick sucks but warthog system on the horizon…
-Cold/Dark start & runway ready to go.
-Also reinstalled all FA-18 Asobo, just in case.

-I didn’t keep 1.0.1 or earlier, so couldn’t retest those, however never had any issues.
Do you still have 1.0.1 available so I can check on my sys?

Side note and not related to your mod.

I just noticed this only because always run cold/dark.
-If auto start is used w/ default S.Hornet, the batteries can not be turned off.
Creating an auto off key mapping does not shut down either.
I’ll drop a zendesk on this one.

I’ll take a look into that, I believe I still have the old version somewhere as well.

1 Like

Sorted it out, the engine cutoff sends a command to close a specific Valve#, since those were no longer the LeftEngineValve and RightEngineValve it wouldn’t shut down. I’ve adjusted the offending Valve#'s and re-uploaded the file.

1 Like

Thank you, that’s incredibly fast fix !
Unexpected and appreciated.

Between SU8 and the newest version of the Super Warrior, this mod may be pretty redundant now. SU8 has a very functional fuel system, and even updated the FUEL DDI to display the correct BINGO value. And the Super Warrior mod has drop tanks with 3d models, the fuel scheduling is a little funky, but functional. So this will likely be the end of my work on this jet, as anything else I’d like to do is well beyond my current skillset.

1 Like

Thought that may happen, but thanks for the hours of fun at our end.
It was appreciated !

1 Like

Between no fuel tanks in the Top Gun Maverick DLC, and SU9 putting the Super Warrior mod in limbo, I’ve started working on some compatibilty updates to this mod for SU9. Will hopefully have something uploaded in the next 1-2 days.

1 Like