F14 in the top gun expansion?

I have been thinking about buying the F14, but is it already part of the Top gun 2 expansion coming in May?

I’m pretty certain its not. Its based around Top Gun 2, not the original movie.

Unlikely. The current F-14 by DC Designs is very nice, and I do recommend it. I suspect if there’s another one coming for the Top Gun launch, it will come from Asobo.

1 Like

I would definitely wait and see, since we already have the F18 which will be the hero plane from the new movie, and the Tomcat is even more iconic to Top Gun. But we do not yet know.

If anything I’d expect to see the FA-18F two seater.

Back before the movie release got delayed and the Top Gun DLC, there was talk the DLC would include more than the F/A-18 we got; there would (supposedly) be a yet-to-be-revealed futuristic miljet of some sort as well. Don’t know where that talk started but the discussion threads had folks talking about it as if it was a done deal.

BTW, the DC Designs F-14A and B are tons of fun - well worth picking up.

1 Like

I just went back to the reveal trailer and it shows 2 types of planes:
The F18 and futuristic looking unknown aircraft.

But not an F14, so I will go for the 3rd party version :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m sure we’ll get an updated F-18 (with optional fuel tanks hopefully). The futuristic plane in the trailer is apparently a super secret hypersonic spy plane Maverick has to test and fly in the movie. Should be fun to fly in the sim.

I’m most interested to see how the new aircraft carriers work. Can we control them? Do they move? Do they have working lifts etc?

I’d sort of forgotten this release isn’t very far away now. Presumably we’ll start to hear a bit more about it soon.

We pretty much know, actually. The Top Gun expansion - together with the movie - were supposed to be released last year. The new aircraft being featured in that expansion (and the „star“ of the movie) was already announced to be the F/A-18.

Asobo decided to still release that airplane last year, but withhold the rest („carrier landings“ and everything else related to the Top Gun II movie).

Maybe the plan was (is) to release yet another aircraft from the new movie - but highly unlikely.

If anything I’d expect to see the FA-18F two seater.

That would be nice, as the description currently says something to the effect of “F/A-18E/F Super Hornet.” Are variants of aircraft, e.g. floats/skis/wheels, done like liveries of one aircraft type or as separate aircraft?

They typically show up in the Aircraft Selection screen as separate aircraft, listed adjacently. Just look at something like the C172 or the Junkers as an example. Other planes I have that are like that include the new Aerosoft Twin Otter (SO. MANY. VARIANTS!), and new Big Radials Grumman Goose.

EDIT: Or perhaps a more relevant example, the DC Designs F-14A and F-14B are separate aircraft, as are their F-15C, D, E and I models, and the SC Designs F-16C and D models as well.

the rest („carrier landings“ and everything else related to the Top Gun II movie)

While I was thinking about this, I wonder if the reason why there’s no default airfield for NAS North Island (KNZY) is that it was supposed to be added in the expansion or something. (I’ve been having to use julysfire’s addon IIRC when I fly from there.) While I don’t believe F-14s or currently F/A-18s normally flew/fly out of there except when the air wing is doing pre-deployment work-ups off San Clemente or on cross-country flights, NASNI seems to play a prominent role in the film, and many of the trailer scenes show or are filmed at the airfield. (I actually saw the two-seater painted in the movie paint scheme sitting on the flightline between the VRC-30 and VR-57 hangars while I was there for a reserve drill weekend back in 2019, IIRC; I can post a picture later if I remember.) One note is that the shot in the movie trailer that shows Maverick on his motorcycle stopping at the base main gate (the VADM Stockdale Gate) is CGI modified to show an F-14 there because the plane that’s actually there in real life in an A-4 Skyhawk like what Stockdale flew when he was shot down over Vietnam.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.