F18 super hornet afterburner

Anybody have any idea how to engage the afterburners? Using TCA airbus throttles. Have the same settings I use for the A320.

1 Like

According to the release notes the afterburner needs its own key binding so I guess you’ll have to create one.

2 Likes

Since the A320 doesn’t have afterburners you 'll have to dive into the settings of the controls and create a specific profile for the F-18
Currently 14% into the mandatory update so I’m not able to help you atm…

2 Likes

You half to press the throttle to 80 percent Hit X if your on xbox on both throttle or you could do what I did go into controls>instruments and systems>engine instruments>toggle afterburner 1&2 bind A or whatever you prefer this way you can control the full afterburner hope it helped

Oh it’s X on the controller, thank you, I was going into cockpit view and activating them manually. It wasn’t really practical.

I’m not home to test but what exactly does this key bind do? Afterburners are usually just a detent on the full throttle range, so does this keybind just enable max AB, or does it enable a second axis of sorts beyond normal throttle? This sounds like a really poor implementation.

1 Like

Thank you all (I solved it)!! Anybody have tips on braking after landing. Is the key continuing to flare?

Speedbrake

3 Likes

I’m out of town for work until tonight, so I won’t get a chance to see what this does until then or tomorrow. While I flew in the S-3B Viking (which is not afterburner equipped) and not the Rhino, being an aviation nerd I have looked through the NATOPS and have a .pdf of an old version of the flight manual portion from the VRS Superbug for FSX IIRC. If I’m understanding it correctly, the F/A-18 throttle has finger lifts that need to be pulled up to go into the afterburner range of the throttle forward of the MIL detent if you have weight-on-wheels and either the arresting hook or the launch bar down, otherwise you just push through the MIL detent; the finger lifts also keep you from inadvertently going from IDLE to OFF when pulling back the throttles.

I’m not sure if the afterburner key binding is supposed to represent the finger lift interlock, though I’m not clear on the throttle arc ranges in that case, but it’s also possible that different aircraft have different afterburner controls that I’m not familiar with. I’m aware that the F-16 throttle has a lifting/tilting action that you do to go into the afterburner range, and a similar action plus a sort of pinky paddle/trigger is needed to go from IDLE to OFF, but there may be some aircraft with something noticeably different.

One point of note is that the Rhino is a carrier aircraft, and for carrier aircraft we don’t flare landings either landing on the ship or at a normal airfield unless there is some sort of abnormal/emergency procedure so that we don’t have to build two different habit patterns. Just fly meatball, lineup, AOA all the way down to the deck. (Someone should mod in some field OLS systems at Navy airfields.) Carrier aircraft have the big beefy landing gear designed for that (compare photos of landing on F-14 and F/A-18 vs. on F-15 and F-16 to see what I mean).

For shorter roll-out distance, use the speedbrakes as previously mentioned, and you can also try raising the flaps to increase the down force on the tires.

2 Likes

“Press X to pay your respects to the Need for Speed”.

What lol? Not sure what you mean there lol

and

:grin:

Is there a way to lower that arresting hook?

Still very much lost friend lol

And when you retire from the Navy, you all go fly for Southwest.

1 Like

Good point re not flaring the F/A-18 on landing. I did so intuitively last night and was back in a climb immediately.

Hitting X on Xbox engages the brake.

I had to make a new binding and cancel what was there. I used the small button in the middle right (three boxes) which had set to bring up main screen menus. But I can do that by the big white Xbox X home button .
Anyways, now have afterburners

As @TinManNFO pointed out, flaring is for the airforce pilots, the navy does it its own way:

First you see an F-16, after that an F-18. Notice the difference!

Wow the second plane :astonished:
Was that a landing or a crash? :smirk: