Famous Flyer V: Antonov An-2

Some abbreviated procedures I’ve figured out based on the Polish flight manual:

Engine settings (RPM/Manifold pressure in mm hg) T/O 2200/1050, METO 2100/900, cruise 2030-1670/830-619

Max headwind 30, crosswind 10 kts

Mag check at 2030, propeller governor excercise at 1900

Vfe 150

Normal takeoff: METO power, no flaps, accelerate in ground effect to 140 then climb

Short takeoff: METO or T/O power as reqd, flaps 25-30, at 50m and 120 kph raise flaps to 5 and climb out at 140. Max headwind 19 kts

Climb at max cruise, METO only if necessary

Landing with flaps 30, more if STOL required, glide speed 120, touchdown 70-85. In crosswind make landing without flaps, Vapp=140. Approach at high RPM/low pitch (exactly OPPOSITE to what the manual says)

Mixture must be leaned by feel

11 Likes

Very excited about this one, looks really well made. Does it come with an autopilot, at least in the modern avionics version? Has already someone checked this?

No, no AP. It’s kind of a joke not to even put a wing leveler in the aircraft. Can’t even edit the systems.cfg to add one because they still encrypt it for some silly reason.

3 Likes

For best results you need the Drzewiecki Design “EPKK KRAKOW” scenery :slight_smile: It actually has the airport from the recording.

2 Likes

Sorry but what’s is METO?

Maximum Except Take Off. It’s an older term that’s been replaced by “maximum continuous power”, but they both mean the exact same thing.

On the topic of the AN-2, the model, and sounds are great, as is most of the flight model, but there’s nowher near enough drag for the flaps.

As it is now, the airplane basically acts like a clean jet on descent, and generally refuses to slow down (even with full flaps), which shouldn’t be the case for something with that much frontal area.

10 Likes

Jeez this thing takes off in little more than the length of an airliner.

Add drag with Wear and Tear.

Edit: I just bought it and tested it, didn’t have any issue slowing down even without Wear and Tear.
Granted it was crosswind ~7K ft, so I might have been side slipping a bit which added some drag.

It’s a very good deal for ~$10! Nicely done.

1 Like

Ok that’s what I thought it might have been, just couldn’t think it the wording.

As for the lack of flap drag, I’m starting to think that is more a sim issue that an individual Flight model.

Any idea if the AN-2 is using CFD.

I was accustomed to believe that METO is for piston, and MCP for turbine engines

1 Like

I believe it will be possible to affix the autopilot mod like for the Caribou. I’ll try to jury rig it somehow later

3 Likes
1 Like

METO can have a time limit. E.g. in the Super Constellation I believe TO power is limited to 1 minute and METO to 5 minutes.

1 Like

You can also download the AT Simulations manual from their website:

It’s for the FSX/P3D version, but it’s pretty much the same. Bottom of the page

4 Likes

Then METO is correct here, since this power setting is limited to 1 hour in An-2

This plane is a lot of fun.

Unfortunately, I miss the possibility of damaging the engine. The engine also seems to start a bit too easily. Taxiing could be simulated more realistically. Taxiing is too easy, you don’t need to use the brake to turn like in a real airplane. Pity.

Fortunately, it flies very well. (:

1 Like

Instant buy for me since I fly one (right seat) once in a while IRL!

Gave it a quick spin, with some thoughts:

• some quirks around things not animating when thry should (throttle, mixture, some buttons etc). Seems to happen only from C&D, and it changes each time you load a flight
  • the model is very very well done! Cabin and cockpit in VR feel like being in the real thing (to the point of my brain smelling the real plane!)
  • almost every switch is functional!
  • it is not billed as study level, and that is certainly ok. There are a fee things however that are so fundamental to flying this plane that they could be modelled a bit better…:
    • mixture has no noticable effect on CHT, where the real thing is very sensitive to mixture changes (you move the mixture lever by a millimetre or so, to get to right around 215C on the CHT)
    • carb heat has no real effect, at least not on the carb temp gauge (one of the primary jobs of the FO besides navigation, radio, and vomit bags is to monitor this and keep it above 8C)
    • flaps seem to have detents where in the real thing they are continuous (could be a binding thing on my setup though)
    • oil shutters and Cowl flaps seem to have no noticeable effect, albeit i need to test this more
      These are all crucial to the AN-2 experience which is a very visceral machine and requires constant attention, so it would be great to have some of them improved
  • it is far too easy and too quick to start :slight_smile: the real thing when cold requires a lot of nudging and a lot of experience, and takes an enormous amount of time and fiddling with fuel wobble pump and throttle to get all cylinders firing

Flight model is plausible I think, rate of turn and roll, trims required, etc. all are what I’d expect
the perf settings we use IRL give plausible results in the sim too. If anything it is a tad bit too slippery

The very best bit about it though, is the sound!!!
The real thing makes a hell of a racket even with ANR headphones, and it is extremely well captured in the sim!! If you ever wondered what an AN-2 sounds like, this is it! (The sim volume is what you’d hear with the very best ANR headsets though, the real thing is brutally loud)
All the cockpit interactions make the right kind of noise, and you have to try the wipers!!! The little squeek they make is just wonderfull :slight_smile:

Overall, 4 out of 5 stars (once the animation bugs are sorted)!
Sound, 5 out of 5!!! Fantastic!

I’ll have to fly it a lot more to tease out the fine points, but for 9.99 this is a must buy!

32 Likes

And I forgot about the lighting which is really good too. All the UFO and movable lights work, turn, and have the perfect light colour and feel. Same for the panel and floor and all other lights (the AN-2 has a surprising amount of lights) are faithful to the real plane, very well done!
(The fans work too :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

The one thing though that is unfortunate about having this in a sim is that Simmers will never be able to really get the feel for what these things are like IRL…
They are brutally loud thirsty oily smelly dirty rattling vibrating monsters of old soviet technolgy vintage…
they are very raw and visceral machines to fly that require enormous amounts of surprisingly delicate maintenance and upkeep
they look, fly and feel in a way that is very pure aviation, and it is a fantastic experience!!!

Unfortunately none of that really transpires in any sim really… if you get a chance to fly in one, do it! (Bring hearing protection though)

6 Likes

What do you think about landing behavior?
I have a hard time getting it to slow down.
With zero throttle, full flaps. Pulling back it wants to climb again. Releasing the yoke it is speeding up again.

2 Likes