Favor Please. Step by step guide to setting up Oculus Rift S

I’m very new to the Oculus Rift S and would really appreciate some kind soul posting a simple list of steps to enable VR with my Oculus Rift S. I’ve read through dozens of posts and most people seem to be way ahead of me and are only solving resolution or stuttering issues. I’ve also searched YouTube videos. I frankly just want to fly and not diddle with the computer instead of flying.

MSFS Ultimate downloaded from Microsoft Store. Oculus software loaded on my computer but not configured yet.

I am a very experienced professional pilot with CFI, CFII, and MEI plus a couple of business jet type ratings. I will be pleased to repay the kindness by perhaps answering questions from others on real world flying challenges.

System specs if it matters:
Windows 10 Professional (x64) Version 2009 (build 19042.685)
3.60 gigahertz Intel Core i7-9700K
64 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080ti

Thank you in advance,

Mack

1 Like

The universal oculus steps are following the Known Issues (launching the sim - no updates) section here and the performance guide here. Then, you should test with both Nvidia Game Ready latest drivers and the 456.xx version (latest has a big performance increase but has stuttering for some people). Important, go to Nvidia Control Panel and try to match the settings here, while reading the first two posts
here, which is a pretty complex guide made the most active and perhaps knowledgeable person of this forum, which I wish I could say is me but I’m like in 30th place in the VR Nerd in VR MSFS forum list :slightly_frowning_face:

Unfortunately there’s no universal guide, but I have gotten playable results on a 1060 following all of these as best as I can

4 Likes

Hi, hope the following helps you, and anyone else with similar specs. Mine are:

i7-7700k, overclocked to 4.8
Nvidia 1080Ti
32gb DDR 3000 RAM
Oculus Rift S
MSFS through Microsoft Store (not Steam)

First,you need to folow Nomagno’s advice about the Registry edit. Make a backup of your Registry first, in case things go wrong!

Suggest you also switch to the Oculus Beta within Oculus.

In terms of settings, I’ve played around a lot over the last 5 days, and these seem to work best for me:

Suggest you download and install the OpenXR Developer Tools from the link given at:

In the Developer settings, set:

Use latest preview OpenXR runtime - on
Custom Render Scale - ticked on, and at 100%
Motion Reprojection - always on

Download Oculus Tray Tool (if you don’t already have it), and change the following settings:

Default Super Sampling - 1.3
Default ASW Mode - 30Hz (this is important for stutter-free play)
Adaptive GPU Scaling - Off (this works better for me than on)

Keep Oculus Tray Tool running while in MSFS. You can set the Visual HUD to ‘Performance’ if you want to see the fps in VR. With these settings and hardware it should give about 27.5 fps.

In terms of in game graphics settings, these give me an acceptable trade-off between performance and graphics:

Is it perfect…?..No, and I doubt it will be without much more Asobo optimisation. Is it fun…? Hell yes!! With these settings, I’m pretty much smooth and stutter free with GA steam gague aircraft in non-intensive environments… but that’s all I fly right now, as the airliners need a lot of work. It may struggle in densely built up areas, though, or with custom scenery ripped straight from Google Earth without being optimised, but we can’t have everything… I’m looking forward to being able to get my hands on a 3080 and crank some settings up! :grinning: In the meantime, if you struggle with these settings (but you shouldn’t with your specs), you can have a look at the post below, and dial back in game on some of the biggest fps killers.

1 Like

Thank you both for your kind and detailed replies. I will try those settings this Wednesday and report back on my results.

Mack

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.