Favorite Approach in MSFS?

I definitely recommend a rnav 23 into queenstown with a A320. It has to be hands down, one of THE most spectacular approaches in the world as you weave in and around terrain hugging approach. There is also Rotorua airport onto 36 as well!! Not the same but it’s my local and it’s a scenic approach

2 Likes

The last world update triggered my attention for the nordics, they have so many amazing sceneries / approaches / airports:

• ENAL
  • ENVA
  • ENCN
  • ENBR
  • ENAT
  • EKRN
  • ENSB

Make sure to download / buy sceneries.

1 Like

I’m not a kiwi, but recently thoroughly enjoyed the Queenstown (NZQN) RNAV 05 approach. It is spectacularly scenic and quite a challenge in an A320 (or PMDG 737 when that is released). Enjoyed it so much, I’ve repeated it several times over. In fact, the entire South Island is magnificent to fly around in.

1 Like

Years and years ago, you could just park in that building on the top and watch the planes coming in. Later they had a small parking lot ( called the cell phone lot) right along the fence, where you could watch the planes. Now it is all gone. There is a new cell phone lot, but you can’t see the planes from there.

Did a VFR approach to Sparrevohn LRRS on Sunday that I’ll definitely have to perform again. Has great potential for a challenge.

Youtube of an Approach into LRRS:

Everts Air Cargo DC-6 winter landing at LRRS:

3 Likes

Wow, what a cool approach. Guessing there aren’t many options for a go-around? Great seeing that old DC-6, thanks for posting.

Okinawa, Naha (ROAH) and GCXO RWY30, both are absolutely incredible during the day, GCXO usually has clouds reducing visibility while the rest of the island is sunny, so it is an added extra fun!

3 Likes

I like Gibraltar runway 27, great view of the rock and obviously the road in the middle of the runway which is unique.

Also runway 27 someone has already mentioned San Diego had a go for the first time last night was great with the proximity to the downtown area and also a little challenging for a newbie.

3 Likes

Reading the Other Remarks listed for this approach in SkyVector, they list ‘Takeoff on Runway 16 only, approach from South Land Runway 34 only; Successful Go-Around Improbable; daylight operations only’. I think the only reason they say a go-around is improbable is because there is a report of a C-130 barely making a go-around without crashing into the hillside. There is also a 200-foot elevation difference between the South and North ends of the runways listed.

No idea what this approach is but it’s an amazing tour of NYC.
Pilots Landing (POV) over Hudson River/ Downtown NYC to La Guardia Airport - YouTube

Landing at Catalina.

It always changes for me as I enjoy flying into unfamiliar airports. Most recent one I could think of would be RJCN:

Secluded little airport in Hokkaido, Japan with a couple of volcanoes in the vicinity. Pretty fun approach in a 747. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for starting this topic, OP! Great idea.

Shooting approaches is one of my favorite things to do in the simulator. If I’m tight on time, I’ll just set up and fly approaches.

I really like the way that you broke down the approach and explained the sequence. I’m gonna give that one a try as soon as I get some Sim time.

I’ll definitely revisit this topic often😊

Thanks again!

4 Likes

LFSZ Samedan, both rwy 03 and 21. Especially now after WU6 this region looks gorgeous. There’s also an excellent freeware scenery of Samedan airport on flightsim.to that I can only recommend. Here’s some impressions.
RNAV rwy 03:
LSGG_LSZS22

Runway 03 (even slightly more spectacular):

7 Likes

Descent into KLAS from the east is always cool. KMDT Harrisburg is a nice one.

2 Likes

Passenger view of an approach into KLGA. Amazing views of the NYC skyline, really gives you a feel for how big that city is. Assuming it tied into the RWY 31 Visual Approach, no idea what the STAR was or if the plane was just being vectored but I’m definitely going to fly this one in the CRJ!

Landing in LGA with Amazing Views of NYC 4k - YouTube

This is a bit dated, and I forget how I found this. Sometimes I’ll go through this list to find “interesting” approaches and airports. Maybe you all will find something you like.

https://fsims.faa.gov/wdocs/opss guidance/specialpicqualairportsmay2017.htm

1 Like

My other favorite is Alliance Nebraska and Rochester NY’s 22 approach because you come right in via Xerox approach on the 320 and right before you get to Rochester harbor channel you turn to final

LOWI RW08 Y approach via ELMEM hands down best valley approach ever.

Hi,
For me it is also LOWI, but from the other side via RTT and the LOC/DME EAST approach followed by circle to land on runway 08.