Favorite Single Engine Prop for VR?

I normally fly the C172 Classic “steam gauge” as that is a little easier to see in VR compared to the 172 G1000. I spent a bit of time flying around in the various single engine props today to see what was a good “modern” airplane for VR. I do like the “steam” gauges but I also appreciate modern systems. Specifically for the VR experience, what are your favorite single engine props?

Extra 330LT - OMG, the view! The throttle response! The single seat (McLaren like) configuration also helps with VR and being close to the gauges/screens. But it feels a bit more exotic than something I’d realistically encounter. Did I mention the throttle response?

Pilatus PC-6 - I couldn’t get it started with the checklist. It looks fun, like the interior is made from a combo of thrift store finds, Home Depot parts.

Cirrus SR22 - VR clarity is good for both the legacy gauges (right in your face) and the big Garmin screens help. Also the last airplane I actually got to handle. It feels the most like a classic prop while having modern touches. I think an A320 pilot would feel at home. The forward visibility is a bit reduced. Also, the parachute lever doesn’t work. :frowning: Was told not to touch that on my flight! The pilot said the FAA was concerned too many pilots were using it as option 1.

Diamond DA40NG - Very clean interior, almost feels like a modern automobile, just turn the key. Classic gauge airspeed, horizon and altitude are how I wish the Cessna G1000 were setup. Copilot screen gets blurry and no AP buttons on the pilot side.

The Robins - I found them fun but just a little too “odd/different/Euro”?

I’m kind of liking the SR22 but it may be a little too fly by wire? It’s also not terribly popular in the community

2 Likes

I enjoy flying the Cessna Grand Caravan 208B.
I use it mainly for Neofly and allows me to have short landings and takeoffs/ high load carrying capacity and a good speed.

2 Likes

my favorite stock aircrafts (in no specific order) :
Cessna 208 Caravan
Cessna 172 Skyhawk
Pitts S2S
Pilatus PC-6
CubCrafters XCub

there are a bunch of third party ones I really like to use in VR too, but I don’t know if you wanna hear about that, the list might get a bit long :smiley:

The Bonanza

1 Like

Kodiak, love it.

3 Likes

The robin DR400 Cadet.

The bubble style cockpit gives a sense of vulnerability combined with the small airframe. Easy to fly and probably the closest flight model to real world there is in the sim.

Great plane for VFR.

1 Like

Just Flight Arrow III. Steam gauges and great flight model, all you need in VR.

About the Extra 330 and the Pitts, they are my least favourite aircraft in the sim. I really hate how incredibly twitchy they are so I uninstalled them and promised myself never to fly them again. It’s a shame, cause I really like the looks of the Pitts.

1 Like

For VFR - Savage Carbon - Savage Carbon - STOL Realism Mod » Microsoft Flight Simulator

For IFR - TBM + WT G3000 + Mugz mod
Working Title G3000 - Intro
TBM930 Improvement Mod » Microsoft Flight Simulator

Zenair CH701: large windows, analogue gauges, most buttons and switches big enough to manipulate (sometimes with one eye closed though).

I have the majestic MadFlight’s SP-30 for X-Plane, which basically is CH701, and while it’s quite easy to fly, you still have to actually control it, one can’t just turn the AP on and enjoy riding the air railway.

I think all new planes should have basic VR compatibility, otherwise they shouldn’t appear in the MS Store. At the beginning of my X-Pla** time I just bought planes because I thought they all supported VR. I was taught better and my money was gone. Since then I rarely buy planes. Usually only if I like it and have seen a YT video. Ultimately, all the planes I fly in VR all the time were freeware (Zibo, DC-3, etc.).
I haven’t bought a single plane from the MS store yet as I can never be sure if it will work in VR. At the moment I mainly fly TBM (mod), A32NX and Vertigo. I was really looking forward to the new DC-3, but the support said it doesn’t support VR (I wrote to them about it)…

2 Likes

I didn’t think it was possible to not support VR in the sim. It it that they are too blurry or don’t function?

The developer said they don’t have anyone in the department who knows about VR. That’s why I shouldn’t buy the DC-3 (as a precaution) so that I won’t be disappointed afterwards.

For me, the most perfectly modeled aircraft in VR are the JustFlight Arrows. They perfectly match my seat height, my yoke and throttle set-up, and they simply feel immersive and real.
My only problem with the Bonanza is when I turn my head around and look inside the cabin. The seats. They’re more like floor cushions with back rests. It’s a big immersion breaker for me. The Baron likewise.

1 Like

My first favorite was the TBM 930. Then I fell in love with the Bonanza + Turbo mod. Now I am using the Cessna 208B Caravan for most of my flights. It’s a real gem :slight_smile:

1 Like

My fav single engine GA is any of the Just Flight Pipers…. Arrow III, Turbo Arrow and Warrior II…. :slight_smile:

Classic aircraft with steam gauges and the GNS750. What more could you ask for? :slight_smile:

It could in theory still work. Button and instrument visibility is what gets tough. On the G1000 equiped side the SR22 works out nicely given the control panels are on the center console.

I haven’t looked to see if it’s possible to have a co-pilot view quick toggle.

I’ve been wanting to get a DC-3! I used to watch them fly out all the time to the Bahamas and LatAm in my childhood.

Just tried the VL-3. It has amazing visibility and the touch screen is helpful in VR.

It’s easy to fly but a nightmare on the ground. I don’t think it has an auto-pilot either, at least that I could find.

I think I’m starting to fall for the Diamond DA40NG. It has a blend of amazing visibility, easy to see gauges and the Garmin screens are large enough to resolve in VR. With the visibility, I’m seeing things I never saw before. The one thing I don’t like is the lack of a good checklist. Also, the throttle feels “weird” like it’s 100% up till 30-40%. MSFS phoned the checklist in.

It was confused at first about why it sounded like a turbo diesel pickup truck! Then I didn’t some deeper research.

The SR22 is nice too from a VR perspective. But all those non-functioning buttons bother me. They also roughed up the interior a bit. That airplane has seen some abuse.

If I had money for a real airplane, I think I’d be going for a canopy like in the Extra or Diamond.

I’m always torn between steam gauge setups and the modern tech. For that, the C172 Classic is a nice compromise.

I still need some time for the Bonanza.

1 Like

Hands down the JustFlight Turbo Arrow P28, easy

3 Likes

I haven’t ventured down the 3rd party airplanes yet. I’m sure that’s a whole other world!