Favorite VFR flights

I often read about all the hightec stuff found in Jets.
Long discussions about autopilot, computers, GPS etc.
But there was a time a pilot would climb into a plane and actually fly by hand.
MSFS is a great platform for this VFR flying. So I thought it might be nice
to have folks contribute their favorite short VFR flights.
I think these should be no longer than 30 minutes tops and typically
be for a 172 or a 208B or such smaller planes like. I think most folks have such favorite flights
they do often.
Here is mine as an example:
Flying from HOPE Canada (CYHE) to Vancouver Intl (CYVR)
You start at CYHE in the Rocky mountains and fly down the valley towards Vancouver.
Should take no more than 20 - 30 minutes but lovely scenery.
Initially you will steer 210 degrees ending up eventually around 240.
No need to go higher than 4000ft. Enjoy the scenery.
You will leave the mountains behind and eventually fly over the flatlands approaching Vancouver.
CYVR has two runways in parallel either side of the Airport.
They will be straight in front of you in line of your flight direction.
just select either one.
You can pick up the localisers yo guide you in.
here are some numbers:
26R 111.95 elevation 7ft CRS 263
26L 110.70 Elevation 11ft CRS 263

To pick up to localiser and glidepath early enough drop to 1400 ft
as you start to leave the mountains behind.

HINT: from take off just follow the river it will lead
you to the airport. It is as easy as that.
Lovely VFR flight in a small plane.
I do this and others like it without ATC. No need.

9 Likes

I highly recommend Alliance Nebraska to Lincoln Nebraska during sunset and flying anywhere over the Ozark’s is good fun, I love doing vfr flights with the twin otter, the Great Lakes is a real challenge around this time of year because you don’t know what weather your going to face just don’t fly around the Great Lakes between Groundhogs Day up to Valentines day on live weather because we always have gotten a snowstorm around that period of time.

1 Like

Takeoff from KSBA and turn north and fly over mountians. Turn east and follow the valley to the east then to the south landing in Oxnard or Point Magu airport. I like this flight in the morning with the sun coming over the mountains.

2 Likes

any localizer frequencies etc? Or is there no preferred runway?

KAST to KPDX to 4S2 Astoria to Portland to Hood River
It’s longer then 30 minutes but you’ll be flying up the Columbia River - from Ocean to the head of the Columbia River Gorge. From rain forest to high desert.
https://skyvector.com/airport/AST/Astoria-Regional-Airport
https://skyvector.com/airport/PDX/Portland-International-Airport
https://skyvector.com/airport/4S2/Ken-Jernstedt-Airfield-Airport

KCZK is another fun stop in the gorge along that route!

Pretty much doing anything in SoCal is a lot of fun for me.

One of my fav short hops is Lanjut Airstrip to Tioman island (WMBT), Malaysia. Its just under 80km its a quick but fun flight. The approach needs a bit of a tight right turn, hills all around, runway right by the sea.

Skip to 7:00 for this one:

Another

From the ground Dash 7

2 Likes

I have flown there IRL in a Cessna 150, the number of airports is so dense that if you are high up and the engine fails theres no reason for a panic. They are literally all over the place.

I remember landing much further up north in San Jose ReidHill View and I stood on the ramp and could see the tower of another airport! A stones throw away. Amazing.

I wish Skyvector could work in VR. I miss the old days when I was happy flying in 2D and used Skyvector and VOR:s to find my way around. It’s just too much work taking my headset off and on to look at Skyvector on a second screen.

Ozarks is great, so much airfields , small airports there. I highly recommend North Carolina, Smoky Mountains.

4 Likes

Do you have any particular airports to and from, for the Ozark area?

Im trying to go by your map in the post above to find some airports but the world map in game really sucks, it’s fine for finding airports but putting in a place isn’t.

Wonder if they will improve this one day?

All of them :wink: , I always use https://fsxmap.com to see what kind of airports and runways are available in some areas. But the Ozarks are really nice to see with a Cessna 152.

2 Likes

You could also use the excellent LittleNavMap which is free and I find it easier to use as it can be integrated with MSFS Database.

2 Likes

Xbox here.

I have tried LNM but my desktop is downstairs and need something like this but on my iPad.

What @PlaneHolland said is pretty neat.

Cool! What website is that , it shows the airports very well!

He did link it in his post.

It’s https://fsxmap.com/

Oh, I see what you mean. I missed that , thanks for link :+1:

2 Weeks ago, I watched a lot of documentaries on the Franklin Expedition, so I traced his route through the North West Passage to where his ships got stuck in the ice South of King William Island.

Then this week I am watching a lot of coal mining documentaries and am flying the
areas coal mine incidents took place. Pennsylvania is amazing at the strip mines you see.

I also fly where the Japanese Tsunami of 2011 took place.

In Georgia from Dobbins AFB around Stone Mountain then to Atlanta

Sometimes I also visit crime scenes and see the structures that are pointed out in crime documentaries.

So I like doing history flying.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.