FBW Airbus A320 cut out

I had tried out the Fly By Wire A320 airbus and followed the instructions from cold and dark. I started off for around half an hour or more to deal with the checklist and when time came to pushback and switch on the engines, the whole aircraft had lost all power and wasting my time going for the whole cold and dark procedures. I applaud the people who designed this aircraft to make it more available to work without the default basic aircraft. But for it just to lose power by cutting out once it leaves the gate is a bit of a joke. I cannot see anything that I had done wrong. I know there are tutorials out there, but honestly? I purchased my Flight Simulator from the Microsoft store. I and use Windows 10 pc.

I have not experienced that in many, many cold and dark starts on the FBW A320.

Which checklist are you following? I recommend the illustrated procedure on the FBW website which shows pictures of every step, then once you are familiar, you can try on your own.

I wrote down my start up procedure after following the online checklist a few times, so I refer to that now.

1 Like

Moved to #third-party-addon-discussion:aircraft as this references FlyByWire.

1 Like

Did you start the APU before the pushback?

3 Likes

Yes, it sounds like the external power cutting out as the plane is pushed back from the gate.

1 Like

yes, I think so too

Make sure you have enough fuel for the whole trip. If you havenā€™t refueled the aircraft at the start, you might be carrying an empty tank. No fuel means the engine canā€™t stay on.

You also need to turn on all the fuel pumps, without the fuel pumps, the aircraft canā€™t pump the fuel from the tanks to feed them to the engine. No fuel being fed means the engines canā€™t stay on.

Additionally, make sure you have APU ON and itā€™s running, then also make sure the APU bleed is also on before you pushback. The APU will feed the aircraft with the electrical power, because when you pushback, the external ground power unit will be disconnected. So if you donā€™t have the APU running, youā€™ll lose all electric power.

Then when you start your engine, start number 2 first. Wait until itā€™s stabilises and the AVAIL appears on the upper ECAM display for Engine 2, then start engine 1. Also wait until it stabilises and teh AVAIL appears on the upper ECAM display for Engine 1.

Only then, you can turn off the APU Bleed and APU master switch. The electrical engine will now come from the main engines.

1 Like

Guarantee itā€™s a user (your) problem.

1 Like

Normally there is never a power loss as long as the APU is running.

I have around 1000hrs on the FBW32nx now, it has never cut out. Its not really a ā€œgameā€ aircraft, you have to follow checklists and procedures like IRL. Sadly, I think this is user error. Take your time, learn the aircraft, follow many tutorials online, and enjoy. I think calling it ā€œa jokeā€ is most unfair, lots of people put thousands of hours into creating the most detailed airliner currently available, and its free to you. Its not a joke.

obviously a user problemā€¦The manual and checklists are available on FBW website/redit/github. If you have on your mind to purchase any Boeing add-on from PMDG one day, the joke would be to try to fly one of these birds, without considering reading the manual at first. Well, this airbus ( from FBW ) is as close as boeing from PMDG are to the real stuff.

I did try that out, but it seemed to show a fault somewhere.

Yes I agree, but really the ā€˜jokeā€™ is on me. I have wondered if it is something to do with me not doing something right. I had followed the checklist instructions on the checklist that is from the simulator itself. I donā€™t intend to offend the team of people who have designed this aircraft. I do have a lot of respect for those who spend their time in creating a great model that works more than the default airbus A320 Neo.

Thank you to everyone who have responded to my issue. I appreciate all the comments. I did have an issue with the APU power and seemingly that was the problem. I did use the checklist in the upper flyout that shows the list of checks to be done. I obviously didnā€™t go through the correct procedures and many thanks for directing me to the appropriate website to carry out the proper checklist for this FBW aircraft.

1 Like