February 16th, 2023 Development Update Discussion

February 9th:

5 Likes

thank you for sharing

The weather works correctly but the cloud injection problem after 2 to 5 hours of flight stops working in the simulator but the winds continue to work correctly

1 Like

They have told us in the dev Q&A that they targeted March 14th, but with no strings attached.
They have been completely transparent about this.
Itā€™s just a lot more work than they thought. They even have told us with quite some detail why. Some of it has to do with the fact that the XBox operating system didnā€™t allow them to access parts that they needed to get wasm running. After that they thought that they had found a work around, which in the end didnā€™t work out. So they needed to revert and wait for the XBox team to come up with aforementioned change.
Asobo has, outside of putting some pressure on it, no influence on the planning of this XBox os-release.
So my question is: what arenā€™t they telling us?

6 Likes

I for one canā€™t wait for WASM to come to xbox so they can hopefully focus on more important things. I hope I never have to hear about it again.

8 Likes

Perhaps Asobo noticed that the holdup was Xbox, which is part of Microsoft, who happen to be their customer. Remember: the customer is always right, especially when theyā€™re wrong.

Through SimConnect? If so, thatā€™s awesome. Could you provide a link to documentation?

Hello @CplPhokett,

There is nothing ā€œgoing onā€. We previously stressed multiple times that the March 14 date was always a target for the SU12 release, never a promise. Here are Jorgā€™s exact comments from the February livestream:

Jorg - Right! So, Sim Update 12 is targeted for March 14th, right now. Weā€™re not 100% sure weā€™re going to hit that date.

As often happens in software development, release dates can be delayed for any number of reasons, some of which we can influence and some of which are entirely outside our control.

Also, everyone should keep in mind that the new SU12 release target of March 21 is also just that, a target. It too could change based on feedback from testers after the beta build is released.

Thanks,
MSFS Team

20 Likes

The Q&A needs a scriptā€¦or if they have i havent found itā€¦ many of us dont habe time to watch a 30min-4 hr videoā€¦

Literally linked in the post above yours

6 Likes

Didnt see itā€¦ just replied and that happened. Thank

Click the little bell top right in the New & Announcements topic and select ā€œWatchā€ to always get notified of posts there - covers all the Q&A stuff and lots of other important announcements.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, the Xbox folk donā€™t have access to the oodles of freeware out thereā€¦
I think itā€™s a good thing they have access to these addons.

For those complaining about liveries and lighting and stuff being released on the Marketplace, imagine what happens when they finally figure out how to manage a freeware Marketplace (if they ever do)?

Personally, I couldnā€™t care less how many liveries and or bad products are released. It is, however, sad that MScenery and Bredock are releasing so many products, while other developers canā€™t even get approved to put things on the Marketplace, I agree with that.

It would be good to improve the filtering of the Marketplace, I find all the time I canā€™t set the filters I want to use. And, yes, Iā€™d love the ability to block developers I donā€™t like and not see their products.

7 Likes

Thank you, appreciate the help!

1 Like

I understand that. The ā€œtargetā€ has moved many times, but weā€™ve never been told why it moved, especially this last time.

1 Like

Itā€™s called software development!

6 Likes

And donā€™t forget Captain Sim!

But it certainly appears like low effort stuff thatā€™s known to sell high volumes on Xbox gets prioritized, regardless of how bad those products actually are. I donā€™t know if itā€™s consciously being done by the marketplace team or marketing folks, but from an end user / customer perspective, thatā€™s what it looks like. And this isnā€™t a new sentiment that you or I have. Itā€™s been expressed on this forum before, as well as various Discords, social media, etc. Correct or not, thatā€™s what the public perception is.

Not saying it will never happen, but Iā€™d honestly be more surprised if it ever did. It would literally kill the lucrative market for paid livery packs and the other shovelware 3rd parties are targeting at desperate Xbox users because they have no other option. That in turn would be a massive loss of revenue for the marketplace. I have no doubt Jorg and Co would like to see a freeware section, but not sure the more money-oriented folks higher up on the MS totem pole would permit this. Anything that hurts shareholder revenue will be heavily resisted.

And not to mention the issue of accepting stuff into the marketplace in the first place. Theyā€™re already struggling to be able to handle the flood of payware stuff coming in. Imagine if all of a sudden even 10% of the even just the free liveries on flightsim.to were to get dumped on the marketplaceā€™s ā€œfreeā€ section. It would be an impossible task.

So it remains to be seen. Iā€™m not saying itā€™ll never happen. But I think itā€™s unlikely.

EDIT: To clarify, Iā€™m not being critical of the lack of freeware on the marketplace. Iā€™m just pointing out that there are some other factors at hand that are making it non-viable. Iā€™m pretty sure what I mentioned here are factors, and there are likely a lot more.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s honestly too bad. Microsoft/Asobo have a chance here to become the de facto marketplace bringing paid and free together, especially allowing for the value add that is free paintjobs for paid aircraft. The community for decades have massively increased the value of paid add-ons in this way, and Microsoft could latch onto that and increase the likeliness that I go to the marketplace first.

3 Likes

Thanks for all your work
Any news about Scenery Package Order ?? I canā€™t set my own priorities (i.e Navigraph tools), FS rewrite it at every start :frowning:
Kind regards

1 Like

Available through whatever third party means you are using to connect to the sim.