Fenix A320 - The FPS Topic

Here is my thoughts:

Now i understand why you get 10fps! You have a HUGE 65" 4k tv and using an iGPU!

You NEED a good GPU to get the best of it and of course your experience will get a huge jump.

First PSU: No way a 550w and undervolt a 3080. Just no.

You need at least a 750W/850W GOLD PSU. I would recommend a 1000w.
My advice is a CORSAIR HX1000 or a cheaper one if you prefer XPG CORE REACTOR 850W Gold.
Psu is something that will last you at least 10+ years. Specially CORSAIR. Never save money on a PSU.

GPU: Since you are thinking about going for a big card. Forget this iCHiLL
Go for a ASUS TUF 3080 or ASUS ROG STRIX 3080.
EVGA 3080 FTW3 or (the one i have which is HUGE but have one of the best cooling around)
MSI SUPRIM X 3080 (its 40cm long though)
Those cards tend to get VERY HOT while using MSFS, you need a good cooling. I usually play on 2k and it uses 95% of its power. So forget about undervolting.

Also those offers warranty for 3 years, its important since most of them only gives 1 year like gigabyte and probably that one you mentioned.

1 Like

So a 1000ā‚¬ upgrade for the computer if an expensive PSU is needed.

ThatĀ“s why I wanted to avoid GeForce cards, because all Radeon cards run without any problem on my 550w PSU (Corsair RM550x with modular sleeved custom cables).

While having the ASUS Radeon 5700 XT Super Advanced OC the semi-passive PSU fan that kicks in when 250w load is on the PSU never spun while gaming. So electricity-bill friendly is my computer.

And when using an Nvidia I am forced to use a 1000 watt PSUā€¦ Hm electricity is getting more and more expensive, I need to do some calculations about power consumption before upgrading :slight_smile:

With undervolting and limiting (power setting throttling, and limiting max FPS) a graphics card can run over 20Ā°C cooler, most of the time it was 69Ā° compared to 95Ā°C and more.
ThatĀ“s why undervolting and throttling is very important, especially when the thermometer will hit 40Ā° this week I wonder what temperature it will have in my cozy attic apartmentā€¦ :smiley:
All 6 Corsair magnetic levitation high speed fans are already set at 50% idle and 100% power when any hardware is hitting 70Ā°C, and the RAM timings and voltage is now reduced because the RAM went very hot.

Undervolting prevents a computer from being destroyed during summertimeā€¦

I live in Brazil and its pretty hot almost all year around here as well.
You need probably a better cooling inside your gabinet. A GPU while running MSFS will get to around 60-70 celsius. No way to get less than that. I have 8 fans inside my gabinet and still leave the glass door open while playing MSFS. My card run around 65 Celsius and if noise isnt a problem you can power up the GPU fans.

One thing is if you are going for an upgrade, its better to save for a while an get good hardware instead of buying cheap PSU/GPU. You can get a CORSAIR 750W Gold for cheap and will do the job.
About the GPU: 3080 is a hungry in power and much more powerfull than Radeon 6700xt. A good one to compair is a 6800xt which tends to get VERY HOT. 3080 uses GDDR6x which is much more powerfull and get way more hot.

Since you are playing on 4k i cant see you using anything other than a 3080.
And the way ASUS,EVGA and MSI build they top tier cards for gamers is exclusivelly to get the most of them. They use the best cooling systems, the best thermal and also the quality of overall materials are top noch compared to smaller cards and other brands. That makes a huge difference and thats why they cost more.

3080 in small size are nonexistent because of all that i mentioned. And i had experiences with other brands already. Coolers tend to make a lot of noise and not working after a while, memory starts to get hotter due bad thermal pads and construction.

Read about the EVGA cooling system called: iCX3 and MSI Tri Frozr 2S.
the mechanism on them etcā€¦ They are built to run fast all the time if you need them.
You can also control speed and they are not noisy as most of the coolers around.
Those cards are built to run at hot temperatures so i usually leave on automatic cooling.

One last thing. Getting a powerfull card and undervolting it, there is no point in my opinion.
Its the same if you get a powerfull car with 400hp and make it with 100hp.

1 Like

The point is these cards are so severly overpowered that I donĀ“t need so much electricity costs when playing my old favorite games like Witcher 3, Dishonored 2, Alien Isolation or FFXV.
I need the full power of such extreme hardware only for Flight Sim 20 and DCS in VR :wink:

Losing like 2-3 fps to reduce watts consumption and 10Ā° isnā€™t that bad for me :slight_smile: undervolting is good but like overclocking, results will depend of how you tuned it and from what i saw most of the time itā€™s even worse than untouched.

1 Like

While I love the Fenix, since moving to a 2 monitor setup (with beta experimental feature) I never get above 15-18fps regardless of the airport (stock vs complex payware). In the 737-600 and Bae 146 I get around 30fps and in GA aircraft in the 50s.
This is with a 5800x3d/6900xt.

Iā€™ve experimented with all kinds of settings to try to improve FPS in the Fenix but it never moves. That does have an affect on FPS in other aircraft though. Obviously it could be because Iā€™m using a 2 monitor setup now but nothing I change seems to affect FPS in the Fenix and other planes donā€™t have the same issue.

Iā€™ve learned to live it with it for now as 15fps is barely acceptable. I just donā€™t understand why tweaking the settings (Rendering, LOD, anything) has no affect in the Fenix.

1 Like

That really depends on your system.
What CPU/GPU/RAM/RESOLUTION/LOT?

5800x3d/6900xt/32GB with 2 1440p monitors. Itā€™s the 2 monitor setup that really tanked fps for me and I certainly expected a reduction in fps but the Fenix seems locked in the 15-18fps range for me regardless of what settings I use. All other aircraft for me are 30fps+ with same setup.

thats weird. whats you LOT?
and fenix config?

im using a Ryzen 3600x / RTX 3080 / 32gb and i get pretty good fps on 1440p using 2 displays
but only one for the sim.

40-50fps

Thanks. Iā€™ve tried LOT between 50 to 200 and it makes no difference at all in fps. Which Fenix config?

my best advice is to have it on 100.

The fenix app configs.

Thanks, I had completely forgotten about the Fenix perf settings. I changed from ā€œQualityā€ to ā€œPerformanceā€ and it jumped to mid-20s so Iā€™ll play with those settings as wellā€¦

1 Like

The Ryzen5800x dont have igpu right?
i would suggest using the GPU for the displays on the fenix config.

1 Like

Only the G Ryzens have an APU.
The Ryzen 5 2400G, 5 3400G, and the Renoir 5000G.

Highly recommended! I am STILL playing all games with my good old Ryzen 5 2400Gā€¦ And of course flying the Fenix.

The framerate is a little bitā€¦ ehā€¦ well itĀ“s 10 or 15 FPS but itĀ“s an APU and not an engine. Old but good Radeon Vega 11 chips are soldered into the Ryzen GĀ“s.
I sold my graphics card because I found an ASUS Dual GeForce 2060 with RTX Raytracing for 400ā‚¬. WOW RAYTRACING!!! The same day my ASUS Dual Radeon 5700 Super Advanced landed on eBay. (it was minutes laterā€¦)
Unfortunately that GeForce was no longer available a few days later when I wanted to order it so I ended up with no graphics card for half a year now :smiley:

But the Fenix can also be flown without a graphics card and with a Ryzen APU only (no real Airbus could do that *g)
That APU is not only good enough for rendering the displays but also capable of running the flight sim (with strictly limited graphics settings to medium and lower resolution not higher than 1600x900 of course).

And way worse on a Rift S in VR.

I was having a problem that my CPU was on 100% and the GPU was like 70%. Due to that I was having shutters and a bad performance with fenix. To solve this problem I installed ā€œMSI_util_v3ā€ and set on the RX6600 options (my graphic) the MSI square to on and the interrupt priority to ā€œHIGHā€. I donā€™t recomend you to use more options of that app. If you had good performance in other games and now you are having bad performance just set the interrupt priority to ā€œUNDEFINEDā€ :wink:
It solved all of my problems and I hope it can help yours too!