Fenix A320 vs PMDG B737

Don’t worry, you’ll get there! Boeing’s FMGC kind of “walks” you through from POS, Route, Perf, etc. In the Airbus, you’ll need to complete the Init (both pages), FPLAN, and Perf pages “separately” by selecting the pages on the MCDU if you will. All the same general information is used on both platforms but as said above just a different philosophy.

V1-Simulations is a real world Airbus pilot on Youtube, and the content is great IMO. I would recommend his videos and tutorials.

2 Likes

Will the Airbus accept a flight plan from the World Map or must it come from Simbrief? The Boeing does but you still have to enter the Dep/Arrive and waypoint into the FMC.

Is it true Fenix is heavier on FPS than PMDG. I own Fenix and at complext airports like Aerosoft EBBR with FSLTL it barely scrapes past 22-23 FPS.

i7 12700K, RTX3070, 32 GHz RAM and 1440p monitor.

Yes an no. Overall, the Fenix may cost a few extra frames. Without FSLTL, 2-3 seems about right to me at airports that are already taxing the CPU. Don’t notice any difference in flight.

That said, right now the PMDG is not playing well with FSLTL at all and I find myself in single digits taxing in busy airports or on final approach. That is with a 13900k/4090.

Wow, your system specs are super cool. Single digit FPS with this system spec is quiet odd.

You will experience a much more fluid experience with the 737. I don’t have issues with the 737 in combination with FSLTL.

3 Likes

What do the fps look like with AI and at a complex airport?

Every system / settings / airport are different.
It will be significantly more fluid and your system will be taxed significantly lower the same time. You’ll feel it and numbers are less important then.

I’d guess that the 22-23 you barely get past with the a320 will be the the minimum with the 737.

1 Like

It is odd. A bunch of folks with same problem though over at FSLTL Discord. The usual finger pointing prevails.

Thanks! I see lots of people recommending the WTT CJ4, it surely must be awesome, I just don’t have the business jet itch :slight_smile:

Just got the Navigraph subscription, now I think your second suggestion makes perfect sense: jumping straight to it. Now the second problem is which one :slight_smile: I’m trying to decide if the between the big airliners or the regional jets. The shorter flights seem to attract me to the CRJ

That’s also great to consider. You would say one is more automated and handsfree and the other more hands on? Where does the CRJ fit into that balance? Cheers!

I have both and I really enjoy flying both. If I had to pick one then I’d say the PMDG 737 and that is mainly on the basis that the performance is far better and more importantly it is stable. I can actually finish a flight in it!!

Whereas since SU10 the Fenix is totally broken as every flight I have done in it has fallen victim to the graphics card error and CTD bug that is plaguing some users at the moment

1 Like

I fly both, and I prefer the B737 workflow. Regarding A320, a big contra is that you cannot save/load the whole situation via MSFS FLT files. With PMDG B737 it works fine. If you like to fly, then use B737. If you like to plan, use A320. :grinning:

I have 737 and A320 and fly them both often - Curious what you mean about fly vs plan? There seems to be this age old Boeing is the “pilots” plane and it’s more for “flying”. There are some “shortcuts” that PMDG take that can be viewed as making it a little bit quicker to get it ready to taxi but The A320 is really no different. If you are piloting either, you have to plan. Not sure why the 737 is somehow more ready to fly?

Yeah, that’s right! For me it is clearly easier to handle. It is more transparent.

1 Like

If possible, get both. They complement each other.

There are two discussions here, A320 vs B737, and Fenix vs PMDG implementation.

The first is just a preference, if you like the Boeing and want to fly it it doesn’t matter if the Fenix is the better product. Both are fine planes. The bus is far more sophisticated and modern, the 737 is much more hands on.

The Fenix is heavier on frames, will never come to XBOX, but is far more complete, circuit breakers and small quirks and all. It is the definition of study level. Oh and it’s got an EFB (shocker I know) and CPDLC, it’s got load sheets and takeoff/landing calculators (including intersection takeoffs). OFB and navigraph integration. Oh and it is also cheaper last I checked. They are currently working on a big revamp with better visuals and more importantly much improved performance.

The PMDG has more variants and avionic options. And it has better fps. IMO in ever other aspect the Fenix is the objectively better product.

3 Likes

I have both A/C and only fly the 737. Sorry I bought the Fenix A320.

1 Like

I agree! Fenix is probably the best MSFS world has ever seen and it’s getting better …

2 Likes

The PMDG has a remote FMS where as the fenix does not and doesn’t appear to be on the horizon anytime soon, which is a deal breaker for me.

If fenix gets a remote FMS I would buy it immediately