Fenix A320 vs PMDG B737

Would anyone who owns and flys both a/c care to comment on which they prefer, and why? I have been flying the 737 almost exclusively (all the a/c in my hanger gathering dust) but I’m interested in the A320.
Thanks for your time.

I have flown A320s in XP for a long time and now fly the Fenix A320 in MSFS 2020. I find it heavier on FPS on my system, especially at payware airports such as EGLL…However, I still like it. BUT…whilst waiting for XP12 to stabilise, I treated myself to the 737-800, which I find an amazing aircraft to fly in MSFS 2020. Graphic fidelity is superior and very pleasant. Setting up the FMC requires more thought and effort which makes it more rewarding. In summary - the A320 is what it is…slightly robotic. The 737 requires a bit more thought and interaction to achieve a successful flight.

4 Likes

Great reply. Helpful. Thanks much.

A lot of people will drag in their personal take on Airbus vs Boeing. Yes, the airbus is a newer design and therefore requires less pilot input, however, you can still take control and stray outside of the airbus’s managed mode. At the end of the day whether you like a Boeing or Airbus style aircraft is completely a personal preference so below are features from the makers of the aircraft. I personally love flying both for very different reasons :slight_smile:

They are both GREAT aircraft, but overall I would say the Fenix is a more polished final product. EFB that can be pushed to your personal ipad, takeoff and landing calculations, seamless simbrief integration that loads passengers, fuel and route, superior navigation to PMDG (PMDG creates false waypoints on certain approaches like RNP where Fenix correctly recreates the exact route and procedure turns, great ACARS, and company messages that make you feel like an actual airline pilot.

Some potential cons… Fenix requires you to run the Fenix app that is outside of MSFS. This doesn’t affect me and I have no trouble, but worth noting. Also, no cargo or ACJ (corporate jet) types are included, so if you love those extra variants in PMDG they are not there with Fenix, but the Fenix is cheaper so maybe a balance? In the end, I would always recommend both to anyone because who doesn’t want to fly both Boeing and Airbus styles :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I enjoy both aircraft. I try to fly the real routes for American and I use what they use on that route. The Fenix is of course very pilot friendly and the updated sounds are incredible. The 737 is always improving and the engine sounds to me are spot on. The 737 aircraft is a pilot’s aircraft. I look forward to the EFB being added soon. To break it down into numbers, my aircraft choice breaks down to the following:

1. Fenix = 30%
  2. LVFR A321= 20%
  3. Heavy Div 787 = 10%
  4. PMDG 7378= 40%

I look forward to the 900 (Delta and United). I also use ProATC/SR and Flight Simulator First Officer (FSFO)

1 Like

Thanks guys. Super helpful. Guess I’d better add the A320 to my fleet.

And what would you recommend for someone to transition from GA (C310 in my case) to the airliners division?
Any recommended stepping stone to learn the ropes or jump directly to the PMDG/FENIX?

Maybe try CJ4? Then PMDG 737 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you want to get your feet wet with airliners, the FBW A32NX is a great plane. There are tons of YouTube tutorials and ressources available and the FBW site has lots of well written content. And best of all it’s freeware.

I would look at getting Navigraph to help with flight planning.

Personally I think you can learn any plane if you put some time into it. No need to slowly work your way up.

3 Likes

I’ve been flight simming for some 22 years now, the MD-11 is my go-to plane (perfect fusion between Boeing and Airbus I’d say). I never really flown Airbus before as I always leaned to the Boeing-style personal taste.

However, since FBW and Fenix I absolutely love the A320. Boeing indeed is more a muscle approach where Airbus is more a brain approach.

However however. When flying these jets like they do in the real world there aren’t really a lot of differences. Disconnecting the AP 1000 feet AGL and landing in manually isn’t really very different in an A320 or a 737. They have about the same systems, they just operate more intelligently on an Airbus.

I know how Boeing pilots love to mock how Airbus pilots have a “deskjob” being a flight proces manager. But I honestly feel both aircraft operate quite similar in terms of flight procedures, only less labor intensive on the brainy Airbus vs. the muscled Boeing.

2 Likes

I want to use breakers in PMDG 737!!!

Although I have flown other airliners in other sims for a long time, I started in MSFS with the CJ4 and the Working Title Mod.
https://www.workingtitle.aero/packages/cj4/

With the support of the Working Title guides and for example this wonderful tutorial video you should be able to get started.

Then you can step up to Airbus or Boing, depending on your personal preference. They have different philisophies in operating the autopilot and flight management computer.
Airbus flies differently, here you set the current flight attitude with the stick and this is kept stable by computer. In the Boeing 737, you have more to “work” with the rudders and the trim.

1 Like

Two reasons why I went with Boeing over the Airbus. For me personally, the instruments are easier for me to see and read on the Boeing. The other is, I use a yoke instead of a stick, so for me it’s more realistic to fly a Boeing.

3 Likes

I own both as well. Both aircraft do a fantastic job of getting from point A to B. how they get there is where there are differences. It sounds like you are comfortable with the 737. If you want to learn something new, that will require some study, and are ready to throw out some 737 logic and way of doing things, then you should absolutely go for it. I would bet there are a lot of things you will enjoy about the A320.

This…Toss the “Boeing is a pilot’s plane” bravado nonsense in the trash. In the real world, airlines want to fly as cost effectively and profitably as possible. Both aircraft have capabilities to provide this for their operators. They just have different philosophies for getting the job done. If you really want to learn these aircraft you will get immense enjoyment out of both that goes beyond the EFB and other bits not related to how the aircraft is actually simulated.

I own and use both aircraft and think they are both excellent. If you are only going to purchase one, I’d definitely get the 737 though. Not because it is that much better than the Fenix BUT because the free FBW A320 is really good and can give you an excellent experience flying the A320. Seems like more fun / learning to have the PMDG 737 AND the free FBW A320 than just the Fenix and the FBW (both A320s). The Fenix is definitely better than the FBW but until you really learn the FBW you probably won’t notice all that much. Tons of liveries for the FBW too!

Personally, I’d check out the FBW A320 before spending a cent on either.

3 Likes

Thanks again everyone. I did purchase the A320 and am now trying to figure out he xyzz@##% MCDU.
Not as logical to me as the 737 but I’ll get it.

2 Likes

Great point here. FBW is certainly good enough to get acclimated to the big differences between Boeing and Airbus. If you like it, then you can decide to go all in on Fenix.

One of many discoveries of differences. Grab some YouTube videos and you’ll be on your way. Deeper study will reduce the “what’s it doing now” statements you may find yourself saying while flying.

1 Like

Right, I am going thru some Ytube videos as we speak (I hate learning things on Ytube videos—arrgh) but I sure have done a lot of it since buying this sum. :confounded:

2 Likes