Fenix and simbrief

I apologise if this has been answered else where, but numerous searches here and on the net haven’t really said yes or no!

Is it possible to do an IFR flight from cold and dark using simbrief?

I can’t find a way for simbrief, imported into the world map, to have a start at a gate.
And I can’t find a way for a simbrief plan directly imported into the fenix to trigger a IFR ATC flight. Only flight following seems possible.

And to create a complex flight in world map, to match the simbrief one, is also just about impossible!

Can someone say - tough, it can’t be done, or can someone tell me how!

Thanks
Richard

Once you’ve imported your simbrief plan into the world map planner screen, try zooming in on your departure airport and clicking on one of the gates, then “set as departure”. Using this method will not recompute the flightplan, unlike selecting it from the departure dropdown, so should allow you to depart from the gate with your simbrief plan.

I only zoom into my departure airport and select a gate “as departure”. I don’t import the FP into the world map. I then import my Simbrief plan into my Fenix tablet and the FMS.

Thanks for the replies. I will try longhaulsky idea. Trouble with forsakenpi is that I never then get the option of IFR ATC. I suspect msfs cannot read the fenix flightplan
Richard

The way I understand how it currently works, for an IFR plan, you either

1. Create an IFR plan in the World Map (or load a .pln from your PC/cloud into the World Map).
  2. Have a plane that tries to sync a plan back into MSFS after you have set up the FMC/CDU. The FBW A320 team and the Working Title team have this feature, but they aren’t 100% reliable given the poor shape the flight planner is in. I think WT has improved this some in the upcoming SU10 with the NXi.

I do the same thing with the PMDG 737 and the Fenix because unlike the FBW A320NX, they don’t have the facility to save the imported flightplan back to the planner so that the ATC works correctly.

Trust me on this though, it works.

1. Set up your flight in SimBrief as normal
  2. When you load into the World Map you need to select your departure and arrival airports.
  3. At the departure airport select the gate you want as your departure point (which gives your cold and dark start) and the departure as per your SimBrief plan. For the destination airport select the arrival as per the plan but leave the approach as ‘automatic’.
  4. Change the navigation method from ‘Direct-GPS’ to ‘High Altitude Airways’. Don’t worry about the route it spits out.
  5. Click ‘Navlog’ at the top and change the cruise level to that depicted on your SimBrief plan.
  6. Click Fly

Once you’re in the game do everything through the FMC/iPad as you would normally. You will find, however, that you can request an ATC clearance and the whole thing works as it should. The inbuilt ATC is too stupid to know that you might not be following the exact same route as per the world map.

Occasionally the runway suggested by SimBrief and the runway in use by the in-game ATC don’t match up. You’re better selecting the runway favoured by the prevailing wind in the world map for departure (and correspondingly the correct SID) rather than blindly following the SimBrief output. I have found myself taking off against the traffic flow in the past because ATC assign you whichever runway you’ve selected in the world map, irrespective of the runway the AI are using.

HTH.

Nearly got it to work! Just the usual msfs problem of leaving the descent too late.
Also had a invalid f-pln uplink error on the init page so had to enter the full flight plan manually. The ipad import from simbrief worked fine though
Richard

Thats my method as well.
I also select SID and STAR (same as Simbrief plan) in the world map before flying.
90% of the time I have to start descent before ATC directs me to descent, but for the rest guidance is fine.
Unfortunately, this does not work for turnaround (multi-leg) flights, so for the second leg you are on your own…
It’s a pity, the FBW A320 allows uploading the FMC plan to MSFS, but the Fenix does not…