Finally.....Solved CTD issues... for those of us with < 32 GB ram

I agree. But for me this 22 GByte is physical RAM plus pagefile, not pagefile alone.

All in all: If you have too little pagefile, you get crash 0x80000003. If you have too much pagefile - say 32 GByte instead of 16 GByte - I see no harm.

Unfortunately this clear error number comes not allways.

Want only mention : users need at least a overall memory ( RAM + pagefile(s) ) of 32 GIG minimum, better bit more :slight_smile: Of course it is possible to set e.g. 48GIG pagefile, this is not a problem…

1 Like

As I said earlier, I have 16GB RAM, and the pagefile is often at 32GB while in MSFS2020.

When the pagefile was system managed, it never got above 38GB.
But that was when using ReLive to record the MSFS2020 session.

The formula is what people use to set the manual maximum size - given to them by advice off th einternet usually.
There is no formula for system managed, as the system manages it and you don’t need a formula.

I agree, I mean setting it to 48GB when I only have 16GB RAM may seem excessive, but after I used my monitoring apps I could see how much was used and when, and crucially, my system was almost always using 32GB.

Using it as system managed should also allow it to get as big as possible, but I always prefer to tell the PC what I want — I also found it a little stuttery under system managed, as if it was deciding too slowly what the upper limit should be

yeah… of course with addtional software you need possible more thatn 32GIG :slight_smile:

Related to the forumula is e.g. here a link for system managed rules:

This rules for system managed explain possible also, why system managed sometime not works as expected.

That’s just a link to your own writing … not any source explaining “system managed formula”.

The formula people use, is when they are talking about how big to set their minimum and maximum cache sizes when using manual cache settings. They do not generally talk about the system managed formula, as they could not change it.

The only times I have seen system managed not work as expected is when people put in more RAM, and it does not seem to adjust the pagefile size to match their new RAM capacity. Often, turning cache on and off again resets this, as do other fixes. But, there are other reasons.

The system managed setting just uses what ever it needs, if it needs more, it uses more.
The max limit is what the system-managed formula calculates.
For 64 bit systems, the algorithm used by system managed files is this:
“3 × RAM or 4 GB, whichever is larger. This is then limited to the volume size ÷ 8.
However, it can grow to within 1 GB of free space on the volume if required for crash dump settings.”

So, on my 240GB SSD, the limiting factor is 240/8 = 30GB
On my 1 TB HDD, the limiting factor would be 3x16GB = 48GB because 1000/8 = 125GB

That is why I have used a manual size, and made mine a maximum of 3.5x16GB x 1.024 = 58 GB
That should force the system to use more than the 30GB limit on my SSD, and as I get up to 38GB pagefile.sys usage regularly while videoing in medium density areas, it seems to work fine for me.

It is, however, a little slow in high density areas, like New York.
I am currently playing with rollingcache.ccc size to see if that affects the pagefile.sys
It might be that the only solution is to get more RAM.
I already know I need 64GB RAM, and that increasing from 16 to 32 is going to be the only compromise I could even think of.
And even that will have to wait.

nope… in it is a link to docs.microsoft.com. Because I not want duplicate the same thing again and again ( in special in same topic ), I linked of course to my former post :slight_smile:

I think we say the same think, except that I want to mention that “manual setting” means “manual”. There is no a formula for “manual”, there are only posts in the “www” where they derivated the 'recommended size" from the existing system managed formula. But in case you need more, simple set manualy more :slight_smile:

as you can see within the link I mentioned , there are limits for system managed setting.
As you also said:

The max limit is what the system-managed formula calculates.

And therefore it is exact why we said that some users need to increase the pagefile manualy ( e.g. some user have very low free space on disc ), and can then simple set what they need and overwrite the system managed “limits”. Needed is at least overall 32GIG, of course not million other apps running in parallel.

And you done it sa same reason :slight_smile:

For a HDD I would recommend the MIN and MAX as same value. So the pagefile is one time created and fragremtation is avoided. When pagefile lies on an SSD this is not necessary. The only reason to set then MIN MAX as same is to ensure that there is alleays enough free space.

The memory consume depends on resolution, settings, etc… I will not say you “need” 64GIG , but yes, what I can see at my system and my settings ( near 4K, near Ultra, etc. ) I can realy recommend 64GIG RAM.

You were something for 15 years…just never considerate! :rofl: :rofl:

No offence, but a lot of what you say is wrong. The post did NOT have a link to some other site,

See, no link, just a massive wall of your text. If you wanted to post a link, don’t post some massive wot, just post the link … the rest is just wasting peoples time.

“sa same”? the system managed will use ALL the free drive space, not stop, so that is wrong. As I said, “to within 1 GB of free space”, so it would only leave 1GB free — and to over-ride that would be very dangerous.
I understand you are trying to help. Not sure why you are talking about “million other apps in parallel”, it’s just confusing the whole thing.

That is wrong. First you say one thing, then say the only reason is to do something else. Setting it to the same size min and max is unnecessary, and would waste a lot of resources. If the system is only using 4GB RAM, it does not need a massive pagefile. It also troubles me that you wdo not seem to understand that 1/8 of most HDDs is going to be 125GB, so there would be NO NEED to change from system managed, as the upper limit is 125GB for the pagefile. The only reason to go manual is to avoid that upper limit on smaller drives when you have 8-16GB RAM.

And yes, I NEED 64GB, because my system is regularly going up to 48GB pagefile, which means that 48+16GB is in use = 64GB

you must of course jump to the linked post… the forum does of course not copy/paste the whole post again, it only insert some lines of if. You have to click to the post-link or click on the little “arrow right side” and then you jump to the thread and see the FULL POST. In this way the forum works.
Additional I get a warning in case I post the same link again !

I link the post again for you ( this time as a link without text , so you must click if you want read ) : Finally.....Solved CTD issues... for those of us with < 32 GB ram - #41 by MichaMMA

related to this I stop the discussion. I mentioned what the docu tell us, nothing else.

You also not understood why I recommend for HDD the min/max same and for SSD not for each. But also here I stop the discussion.

You are free to have your own opinion. We here made long ago recommendations for minimum pagefile size, and this helped a lot of users. Your settings is also not wrong, and so I end now.

Thanks for the tip. Have followed your guide and will see if that helps further. I found that my CTD was due to insufficient drive space, so I have cleared enough space and reinstalled the update. It’s working so far with 16GB RAM but the Marketplace tab is still greyed out and I haven’t reinstated my Community folder yet.

@Vinman1776 @MSFSRonS
After letting Windows optimise the virtual memory as suggested by you, the fps mostly stands at or just below the 30fps that I set as maximum and the sim runs smoother with pretty good colours. I won’t upgrade the 16GB GPU for now but will first install larger drives for upcoming world updates. I can live with the Marketplace tab still greyed out. Thanks again for the tip.

How I can increase the page file?

1 Like

That vid will give you correct size for your ram

If I’ve learned one thing in here, is no one is an expert in every aspect. Try, test what works for you. And then try the next one.
:+1: :100: :wink:

I have always been advised to set the Size to a FIXED size, and not let Windows dynamically keep changing it.
This was even more important back when using Rotating Disk Drives, as repeated changes of size, was one thing that could easily lead to heavy fragmentation.
With a SSD maybe that is not such an issue ?

I favor a fixed size, and having its content deleted when the PC shuts down. (non-default registry setting)

1 Like

I like that and wrote same too, but not all users understand why I mentioned it and wrote I’am ‘wrong’ :laughing:

e.g.

In case I had must set a pagefile on a SSD, then I had set the minimum value to near the expected amount what I need, e.g. 16GIG for 16GIG RAM owners. Then a Max Value for Fallback and double it, e.g. MAX 32GIG. For same 16GIG RAM , but a HDD, I would set 40GIG FIXED. It might be also not wrong to set a fixed size for a SSD, in special that users in these way ensure the disc-space is allways reserved.

But because I own 64GIG RAM, I only have a “fallback” pagefile setting of 1GIG min and 4GIG max. The pagefile should never completely disabled.

EDIT: one point I seen… e.g. clear on shutdown may not best choice for a ssd , in case you meant that with reg-change

I am pretty sure you need a reasonable size PageFile on the C drive, to be able to collect a crash dump file ? (mini dump)
IF you want a FULL dump, it needs to be somewhat bigger than your total Ram. ?

I am happy to get just a MiniDump file, as, while it is interesting to see the CTDs are almost 90% due to Pointer issues, but without the source files and symbol tables, there is not much further one can go ---- and even if one could specify the EXACT coding error, the chances of that ever getting back to the right person at Asobo, via ZenDesk, appears to be about the same chance as winning the lottery.

It use to frustrate the “Underworld” out of me when MSFS was released - now it does not.

Facing reality, it will be what it will be, and after all, its only a Game – one which is here today, and will be gone at some unknown time in the future.

I just consider that I am fortunate that it is NOT “my” problem, and one I have to solve.
It does not affect my life in any significant way, or my ability to keep my job or earn a living.
For those it does affect, you have my deepest sympathies.

For everyone else there are less frustrating alternatives, like XP, P3D, or some other Hobby.