Find ILS frequency for specific runway?

That’s great for the more advanced systems, but not all planes provide that info. Reading charts is very educational and adds a lot to the immersion, it’s an important step in planning a flight. Learn both ways, can’t have enough tools in the toolbox.

2 Likes

Agreed. Even I go automatically find the ILS frequencies in the G3000, I’ll still normally have the chart out so I can see what my proper approach, altitudes, etc are. There’s more to an ILS landing than just the localizer.`

1 Like

Absolutely true. I use Navigraph on an iPad to plan and follow the route. This evening I had a nervewrecking flight in Iceland to Akureyri with live weather on. Approach through a valley with high mountains surrounding and a thick cloud layer up from 1500 feet. Without this approach chart I would not have survived. Such a relief to break to the clouds in late evening light and just see the runway light in front of you. Amazing sim…

3 Likes

I use Little Navmap but for some airports i dont have coms listed - for example waxp or wayk…I am using MS database but no frequencies listed for that airports…Do you have coms listed for those airports in your Little NAVMAP app?

The MSFS flight planner has this built-in, you just have to enable Navaids under Open Filters. More info here https://guides.gamepressure.com/microsoft-flight-simulator/guide.asp?ID=55611

Right - you can get the information from the world map. But, it’s not available during flight. That would be handy, I think.

1 Like

I have a Navigraph subscription but when I’m just doing a quick flight and feel a bit lazy I use www.fsxmap.com to quickly look up the frequency.

1 Like

FSXmap is new to me and looks interesting. Thanks!

I think the point being if you are new to this genre all of the information you need should be in the simulator. Veterans know to use third party add-ons, but a new person would look in game for such information. It should be available!

1 Like

Agreed. I have a feeling it will take a while, but considering what the WorkingTitle team had been working on, I have a feeling we’ll be seeing that in a future sim update.

I doubt new people would need to know this. I think all of the default aircraft auto-tune the ILS anyway so why would they have to look it up? If they start flying more advanced third-party planes then they are no longer new people and have to learn new skills.

I don’t think the Garmin units auto-tune. The airliners do, but not the Garmins.

Oh, you mean the 530s? I thought the G1000/G3000 did auto-tune. Or maybe that’s the WT mods?

I mean all of them. I don’t even think WT auto-tuned until this newest G3000 one. I don’t think any of the G1000s do either. I always had to manually tune them. Maybe they auto-tuned when you activate approach? I don’t know.

I see. Maybe I just had an unusual situation but I was flying various aircraft and doing ILS approaches in MSFS for months before I had to manually enter the ILS frequency.

1 Like

I’ve seen the Garmins autotune, but only if you activate the approach “just so” (which is not always easy with the Crazy Ivan bug, etc), so I am always prepared to manually tune it.

1 Like

I found this on Flightsim.to

It’s simple, basic and quick with no frills, just what I need for a quick reference.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that. It does what I need as well. My only concern would be keeping it up to date.

I wouldn’t think ILS frequencies change all that often.

If the dev is keen he might produce regular updates?

It is not important what is the REAL frequency of the ILS, is important what ILS frequency is STORED in the simulator or you will miss the GS.
I easely find this informantion in the Garmin3000 in the landing airport frequencies.