First ever CTD with GPU Error after flying faultlessly for 10 months

After using MSFS faultlessly for 10 months (even through all the MSFS and nVidia driver updates, after building a new rig for it last year), I encountered my first ever CTD today.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

No

Brief description of the issue:

CTD after about 15 minutes with “Your graphics device has encountered a problem and Microsoft Flight Simulator will now exit. This may be due to graphics card overclocking, overheating or due to a driver fault.”

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Error message as detailed above.

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Fly in MSFS

PC specs and peripheral set up:

Intel i5-12600KF (not overclocked), 32GB DDR4 3200, nVidia RTX 3060 12GB (not overclocked), monitor resolution is 2560x1440p, 144Hz, nVidia driver 531.41 Game Ready. All other BIOS, windows and drivers up to date.
As a builder of my own PCs they are well maintained with dust filters/fans etc cleaned regularly and temperatures checked to ensure stability. The PC is perfectly stable in all other aspects, and has not CTD in any other game or app that uses the GPU.

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

1530225064544293892, type 5

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

Are you using DX12? If so, switch to DX11 if you want to stay on that driver, otherwise, roll back.

This is a well documented issue on the forums.

1 Like

So it’s a specific driver issue? Rolling back definitely fixes it?

Are you on DX12?

and e.g. these already existing bug-topic as reference:

1 Like

Had this issue for the first time today, and didn’t know. I’m on 531.41 so will need to roll back. My question is how do I roll back?

Just download the 531.29 driver and do a clean install.

Hi, just wanted to share my experience with the DX12 beta.
My system info is below.
DX12 beta brought CTD’s in these following planes within 15 minutes of flight.(with over clocking warning that never got before)

MSFS
Cirrus
Baron
Carenado
Mooney

DX11
All planes still ran with no issues.

Interesting fact.
The Embraer EMB 110 Bandeirante that was purchased outside of msfs ran with no issues in both DX environments. Hours of flights. Please don’t shut the door on DX 11…lol.

Yes. Sorry should have specified.

Install driver 531.29 and you’ll be good on DX12.

Best practice is to use DDU (Device Driver Uninstaller) to completely clean all traces of old drivers out.

Make sure you run DDU in Safe Mode. This method works for Win 10 and Win 11.

Install new 531.29 driver in clean mode.

Usually there’s no need for safe mode, just run ddu twice with a reboot in between.

but want mention again: all that effort ( and the risc ) with DDU is not necessary.

Simple download th 513.29 from nvidias side and install it.

Additional users can choose the “completly reinstall” checkbox.

Or also you can do the way which the FAQ described: uninstall the nvidia driver first. But also that is not necessary.

Moved to #community-support:tech-support which is more appropriate :+1:

1 Like

I rolled back driver to 531.29 and all is ok on DX11

If you want to keep using DX12 you can, it works fine on 531.29.

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reason

I’ll try it. Thanks

1 Like

I had same issue with Windows 11, rtx3080 ti, intel i9 12900. Rebooted and no problem since. Keep a close eye on your GPU

I have never had this bb g before, but since SU12, it happens 1x/3 when developer mode is enabled and I disable it via developer mode. When I leave developer mode via the game options, no problem.

DX12, 4090.