First freezes then BSOD and restart PC

:wave: Thank you for using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons? If the issue still occurs with no mods and add-ons, please continue to report your issue. If not, please move this post to the Community Support section.

Yes

Brief description of the issue:

My sim first freezes then BSOD comes. Bsod most of the time SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION. Sometimes , system store exception or another one.
In grapgic settings I use the HIGH END global rendering option.2560×1440 resolution.
I have made hundreds of tests. Now it seems OK but in graphic settings I use DLSS BALANCED option, if I switch to DLAA or something, or if I switch nvidia low latency optimization to on, BSOD happens.
More if I enable XMP II from Bios. RAMs swicth from 2133 to 3200 Mhz, again BSODs starts.
BSODs happen randomly some during flight some just at the beginning.
I did sfc /scannnow or DISM storehealth etc. No problem anywhere. Morover I did GPU and Rams tests with test tools no problems there. I did a fresh Win11 and msfs2020 reinsntal. Did not help.
One thing more recording the game with geforce experience shadowplay also causes BSODs, but I can record without problems if I switch the DLSS option to PERFORMANCE .
Could you help me? What is the problem?

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

graphic settings options, recording game video

Many issues may be due to an outdated graphics card. Please state your Graphics Card Driver Manufacturer (NVIDIA, Intel, AMD) and Version (Learn how to find your current graphics card driver version):

nvidia rtx 3070 TI

PC specs and peripheral set up:

intel i9 9900K asus z390 prime. 2x8 gb ram. 650 w power supply ASUS 32" 144 Hz 1 ms monitor

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

no 1001 flightsimulator.exe issue

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

more than 1 year

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

I’m wondering whether a 650 watt PSU is enough for a 3070ti? I have a 650 for a 3060 12gb and that’s just enough from what I can gather with a 9700k CPU. A 750watt PSU may be a better choice.

Are you over clocking your CPU at all?

Have you tried xmp I profile instead of xmp II?

I get crashes sometimes when using profile 2 but profile 1 works ok for me. Fyi I have an Asus z390 Rog strix MB and 32gb RAM.

Thank you for your kind reply.
Yes I am suspicious about the power supply. Maybe a 750 or 850 W power supply is necessary.

No I am not overclocking the CPU or GPU.

Let me check the XMP, I did not see an XMP I profile in bios settings. Nevertheless I do not think that it is a Ram issue.

I did a GPU test with a popular tool the result was pretty good. Indeed with high msfs settings the GPU load and temperatures do not go so high.

When I monitor my power I rarely see more than 580 W with my 3080Ti and very high display settings. Get a copy of HWiNFO64 and monitor your temps and power draws to confirm. BSOD means hardware failure, and high power drawn from an over extended power supply will simply shut down the system and not create the BSOD. Your experience with XMP settings sounds to me like you have a bad memory stick. I had this problem last year and none of the diagnostics I ran revealed the problem until I ran MemTest86, which revealed I had ONE bad bit on a 16GB stick. It takes time to run that test but it’s the only thing that found my problem.

Psu is replaced with a 850W 80+ Gold.

Problem solved.

No BSODs with high settings.

2 Likes

Glad you got it fixed! Sounds like a problem I was having for a while. I’m on a 3070 non ti btw. Seemed to get worse over time so I went extreme and got 1000w PSU for when I upgrade the GPU and no more restarts. :+1:

RTX 30 series can have high transient spikes which can trip out some overly sensitive PSUs.

That’s great news, glad it all worked out for you. :+1: