First impressions on GOTY (SU7) or Reno Air Races

VoloCity is fun to fly. I’m not a sim helicopter pilot - this one is stable and easy and fun for low slow sightseeing.

I tried DX12 and got the first stutters and pauses that I have experienced in many months in addition to losing 5-7 FPS - went back to DX11.

Adding a waypoint near the departure or destination points in a route in the flight planner doesn’t break the route anymore.

So far, this is a positive update for me. Lots more to experiment with in the days to come.

5 Likes

Awful update. Lots of new bugs as expected, new weather system terrible. But hey, we got a load of toy airplanes and silly races that the developers spent their time working on rather than addressing the huge problems with the sim.

9 Likes

Lowering the LOD would improve performance, but are you sure that’s what’s caused the framerate to drop in this update? A value of 10 seems rather extreme.

I’ve noticed my frame rate halving at times. I suspect it’s the omipresent haze and the volumetric lighting it requires. But it could be a mix of things, and you may be right about the LOD. The LOD has changed. I noticed the taxiway lights aren’t nerfed anymore like they were after SU5 when the sim was stripped down to fit on an XBox.

Agree. I was kind of hoping the batteries would run dry and it would fall out of the sky just to have a few seconds of excitement.

And am I the only one who took a look at the interior, trying to figure out how to get the thing going, and just said “Wuh?” I figured it out pretty quickly, but only because there were was a limited number of buttons to randomly push. At least it was manually flyable, contrary to speculation that it would be fully automated. However, I don’t see myself flying it much after the initial curiosity flight. It’s just way too slow and sluggish.

ive only flown the 208 so far…

VR is broken, the toolbar is inaccessible. if you do the instrument view hacks to click the buttons, you cant interact with the floating panels. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I was running VR at 100% render and everything except occlusion in ultra and getting 22-26 FPS(3090 factory OC) and now with the same settings I am getting 15 FPS!!! Makes me sick, and I am not even talking about DX12 Alpha, here, this is in just plain DX11. C’mon Asobo, don’t let VR down cause it is the future!

1 Like

Scotch…or maybe tequila

i mean in the normal mode

1 Like

well said…

Why thank you!

That’s hilarious. As a skydiver myself, the only thing the Milviz one does (which I have as well) is let you open the door. Nice enough, but the sound is nothing like real life. The windblast is far louder and completely different, not a gentle breeze. Apart from that, there is nothing skydiving related that’s different. You go up as fast as you can, take a dump, beta the jumpers down if you can.

2 Likes

Use your eyes, there’s a trim gauge there.

1 Like

So many people in this thread (and others) need to take a chill pill. You’re whining louder than any turbine, complaining for complaining’s sake. Get a grip ffs.

8 Likes

oh yes - you even said so initially…my bad.
Now I’ll have to go look for that developer vid because I’m thinking I heard Jorg or someone say that it would not work outside of the Reno race events until a later update

I use ffs everyday - I feel out of sorts if I don’t…but lately I just shorten it to fs…makes me laugh now when I type MSFS…

Developed by veterans who forgot create only “documentation” we ever get from Asobo - Check Lists :joy::joy::joy:
Sad.

couple of early observations from and Xbox S user,

1. Paris photogrammetry exceptionally sluggish - which it wasn’t before - may be related to volocopter so will retry in another aircraft
  2. Volocopter probably won’t get used often ( or at all )
  3. Scandinavian POIs which had all been rendered invisible by the previous update have all now reappeared.
1 Like

I like your take, but consider this paradigm: porter means port-er, port is the latin root for door/gate/gateway, so this aircraft is all about doors… Possibly related to some people’s frustrations about non-operable doors.

1 Like

Got the mega pack of Reno planes - I like it, all of the planes have character.

So one of my main ways of using MSFS is for long distance AP legs while im working on my other screen. This means I like using autopilot on almost everything.

If you are curious there are some L39’s that have functional Autopilot in the package. Blue Ice, Drop Bear and Red Thunder. I think this is kinda cool because its a small jet with familiar General aviation AP, which I believe is pretty uncommon.

The T-6s and the Pitts all have no autopilot. One P-51 has inop autopilot (Lady B), kinda disappointed in that, but its probably because it looks like a AP module thats never been in sim yet and I can imagine the old birds are generally not set up for it.

Just in case anyone is looking to buy onesie twosies of the planes and AP matters to you.

2 Likes

I laughed. And what makes it funnier is that it’s actually credible. Unfortunately, the correct Latin word is the verb “Porto” which means “to carry” :smiley: