First Solo Navigation - Headding Compass Wrong

Has anyone seen this issue?

I’m in Flight Training > VFR Navigation > First Solo Navigation

(To cut to the chases just read the last paragraph :upside_down_face:)

I have completed the other VFR Navigation exercisers OK (B’s mainly). I flew 2 First Solo Navigation flights and started by slavishly following the heading compass for the leg from Flagstaff to Munds Park Golf Course. Dimly aware that the mountains were in the wrong position. Incredibly on the fist flight I made it to Sedona but I would keep getting a message about going off course at which point the aircraft was slewed automatically back on course. The second time having again noticed that the mountains were definitely in the wrong position I checked the heading compass against the magnetic compass and it was obvious it was out by quite a lot. Pressed the Set Heading Indicator key (D) to correct the heading compass and a little to my surprise I got a B+. I did not score well on the Flagstaff to Golf Course leg :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I don’t think the heading compass was not working in any of the other navigation training flights because I had no trouble completing them.

I do appreciate you should check the heading compass at the start of any flight but I kind of expect it to be correct for the training flights as I’m sure it was in all the previous ones.

Has anyone else noticed a heading compass error in doing the First Solo Navigation training flight?

Tanks for reading, sPK

Turn off Gyro Drift in Assistance Settings and see if that helps.

I went back and had another go at the Solo Navigation. This time the heading compass matched the magnetic compass. Just one of those things. Still I’m much keener on checking things like the heading compass calibration. sPK

Not sure if that’s the case here, but in general, you need to adjust the gyro compass based off the magnetic one after starting the engine (it’ll most probably be completely off at that point), after lining up (RW heading) and regularly during the flight (especially after sharp turns).
One of the upsides of airplanes with glass cockpits is not having to do this.

Checking the directional gyro against the heading indicator is usually part of the pre taxi checklist and one of those things that’s done throughout the flight. But it should also be part of any discussion/flow concerning a navigation lesson. That it isn’t mentioned or doesn’t have a gentle reminder from the instructor like “the gyro says we’re headed south but this is clearly north, why is that?” highlights the severe limitations of the instructional modules.

1 Like