First time in VR, unable to turn on anti aliasing?

I just got my occulus 2 working FINALLY in MSFS 40th premium. Im going to buy the G2 headset as I HOPE it would be better??? Now I do NOT understand the zillion techy terms on all the posts so they have been no help to me. I have a RTX 4060 at 8 GB, a 2 TB hard drive and 32 GB ram. That is the extent of my computer savy. Since Im going to be flying a real plane next month I want to be as prepared as possible. You know, in case instructor dies etc LOL. I’ve even bought the check lists and POH for that plane . I actually was a lic. Captain. Just for ships not planes. But this computer stuff at age 59 is a bit much for me. Why I love the DC3 the best and old planes. I HATE glass cockpits ! and while I adore Airbus and the 787 dreamliner… I prefer hand flying and also flying by feel . Why I’m loving VR. I can get a feel for wing position in a bank etc in case I had NO instruments I want to still land a plane by feel as I did big ships . I could land them blind almost. I love to perfect handling of ships and now planes too. So my issue is how shaky the distant scenery is. Is that just the way it is in VR? Instruments seem OK but impossible to view glass cockpit instruments on jets. Why not in VR I found the Hold right ALT on keyboard, then click the guage you want to magnify so I can at least see my airspeed and altitude. But I cant figure out how to even pause the game in VR??? let alone see a glass cockpit . But when I go to graphics settings anti aliasing , what ever that is is turned OFF and It wont turn ON. Many of them wont work in VR. I have to Occulus app thing on the PC. Im running the game through steam where I bought it. I have a Logitech yoke and throttles hooked to thrust master peddles , Now the Cessna 172 seems clear , but any jet is so jumpy it makes me really dizzy and sick . But even the distant scenery is jumpy and vibrates even in the 172. I’ve read posts to do this or that. But I don’t even know where to find those things. I need REALLY bonehead directions for help. Like, Vector me in here !

1 Like

I am not an Occulus user, but I suspect it’s related to their software. Active Pause is working in VR. You have to map the key in the controls area.

Buying G2 is not the best idea as MS is going to deprecate support for them (Windows Mixed Reality) from Windows 11 this fall (unless you are going to block Windows 11 major updates or stick with Windows 10). If you are on a budget Quest 3 will be probably better option, you can also go wild with Pimax Crystal, but with 4060 Crystal makes limited sense (GPU too weak).

You may check your turbulence settings and bring it down, you can also fly in the morning hours when the turbulence (convective activity) is smaller.

1 Like

hello Raven and welcome. Raven, great name for flying :-). Anyhow: can you start by giving us an overview of your setup? Processor, graphicscard etc… Just so we know what we can be aiming for as far as sharpness/frames per second etc are concerned… over to you!

1 Like

I have it mapped for my keyboard. P for pause and Ctl +P to restart. Does not work in VR.

A RTX 4060 in too weak? Its only a little under the newest 4090?

Thank you ! BTW Raven was a nickname given to me by a dear friend who passed away. I had red hair then ( now dark purple) So it was Red raven. Use it as my hiking trail name too. I bought a desktop just to fly MSFS 40th Premium as I will flying a real plane next month. You know, in case instructor croaks on me… :grinning: I am not tech savy at all ! But its a GeeForce R onTX 4060 at 8 GB , 32 GB of ram and 2 TB hard drive as I also want x plane 12 someday and a few others. I have FSX and FlightGear on my older computer too. I run MSFS via steam. Thrust master flight stick ( which I have not used since I got a yoke that I like better) , TM peddles, Logitech yoke and throttles. Big monitor. Quest 2 VR headset. That is all I know. But many of the function under Graphics don’t seem to work . Can’t change from OFF. Yet the You tube guy VR Sim Pilot has the same headset and he can change them. He is WAY WAY above my computer and MSFS abilities at this time. I’ve done all the training one a million times but when I get into world map, Im totally lost what to do without the old AI instructor,

There is collosal performance (and price) difference between 4060 and 4090. 4060 was generally designed for FullHD (1920x1080) gaming, 4090 is much better suited for 4K and VR (VR requires much higher resolution than 4K for high res. headsets like Crystal).

4060 may still work with Crystal, but you will need to go low with settings (DLSS Performance) and expect low FPS.

1 Like

I feel you don’t have the system to make good use of VR. I had a RTX 2080 Ti with my G2 and it was a good experience but your card is 40% slower. It’s not the best card for VR if I’m being honest. A 4070 Super would be my minimum with a Quest 2 or Quest 3 if you want a smooth performance. The G2 is now a bad choice as it’s no longer supported.

As far as the Graphics options go, we’ll need screenshots. A lot of what you are saying shouldn’t be. You should be able to access the DLSS options with an RTX card and if you have Hardware Accelerated Graphics (HAGS) you can get frame doubling too when not in VR. DLSS though will help massively but will slightly decrease clarity but in a Quest 3 I find this not such a big issue.

To take a screenshots of you graphics options, you can follow this guide as there are a few ways to do this. Then you can upload to this thread.
How to take screenshots in Microsoft Flight Simulator (pocket-lint.com)

I’ve found if you have HAGS on to get Nvidia Frame Generation you need to be using Directx 12.

Nvidia GPU-based rame generation doesn’t work in VR. The corresponding VR feature is called “motion reprojection”, “smart smoothing” or similar depending on the headset vendor.

If it’s not tracking issues you are experiencing, the sim overdoes the visual turbulence. The results don’t look natural in VR. I have it set on realistic but debate on turning it down since it can make seeing outside rather difficult.