First time using VATSIM

Good day flight simmers! So I created a VATSIM account way back in roughly 2019 and completely forgot about it, in that time it wasn’t required to take the orientation exam to use the client. A couple of my buddies have been using VATSIM for some time now and always asked why I didn’t use it, well like a lot of others I was skeptical to give it a shot.

I started watching tutorial videos on how to call out clearance, taxi, departure, approach, and so on and I finally pulled myself to it to download vPilot and other resources for VATSIM. Low and behold I connected to the network and did NOT have a pen and paper like most say to have and when the controller called out my clearance I PANICKED lol, I hovered over the disconnect button and pulled the trigger haha.

I started looking even deeper into the resources on VATSIM and gave it another shot and did a full flight from KPNS → KMSY and I had a BLAST! The more I understand everything the more I really enjoy VATSIM. I don’t think I’ll be going back to the default ATC in MSFS 2020.

I’d love to hear your first-time experiences with VATSIM below if you’re willing to share! :grinning:

Any advice is also welcome! :grin:

4 Likes

This is of great interest to me, however I fly in VR and not sure if Vatsim is even possible in VR?

1 Like

I’m also a VR pilot and one of my main concerns is how I would go about reading back a long-winded taxi clearance, for example, without an intuitive way of making a note of the original clearance/instruction.

I suppose i could stick to small airports, with limited options for taxi routes, but the above-mentioned need for “pen and paper” still makes me nervous.

1 Like

Hey there, @WieBurger. Since you asked for VATSIM advice, I moved your post to the #self-service:online-services-activities category.

Your enthusiasm has peeked my interest. I may give it a go myself soon. Blue skies, my friend.

3 Likes

You kind of have to do certain parts in 2d (like you say clearance, also taxi instructions unless you’re really familiar with the airport).

Then there is the problem that sometimes you get pinged, eg. when on unicome and a controller comes online, you might miss that in VR.

My personal wish is that somehow I could take my iPad (IRL) and pen and “blindly” draw/write on it and it appears in a virtual iPad in the sim in VR. The technology is there, I hope someone does something like that.

I personally don’t feel comfortable enough doing Vatsim in VR yet.

2 Likes

Believe it or not, most people started out that way. Remember that everybody on the network has been new once, and most remember that time very well. :slight_smile:

Just take it slow, and make sure you know your aircraft quite well before you connect. I am one of a select few who essentially act as “moderators” on the network, and most problems I encounter with new members have to do with a lack of knowledge of their airplane. VATSIM is very open to beginners, but we expect you to know how to fly your plane! :slight_smile:

IFR clearance is, unfortunately, the first thing most people encounter when starting out on VATSIM, and it can be very daring. One thing I still use and highly recommend you learn, is the CRAFT principle. That’s the standardized form and order you’re gonna get pretty much every clearance you’ll get on VATSIM. Although some places will amend or leave out some of the letters, the key concept remains the same.

Once you get familiar with VATSIM, you’ll never look back. Just start out slow, stay away from busy areas like KJFK, KLAX and EGKK (or the entire UK) when you’re new, and never be afraid to ask the controller to “say again”. Never read back something you don’t understand!

Good luck on your journey, let me know if there’s anything I can help you with, or answer!

3 Likes

I was initially really excited about Vatsim. I even jumped through all the hoops to become a student controller. The shine has since come off though if I am honest. They are very IFR focused and the controllers are almost never online in the evening when I am able to fly (at least in the part of the world that I do most of my flying). Nobody ever got back to me about beginning to train as a controller, either, despite a couple of attempts to follow up with the instructor. I’ve participated in a few Vatsim events when they are better staffed and those were fun, but they’re few and far between. Maybe it will be better if more people join, but it needs effort.

3 Likes

You can usually find ATL center on late. Sometimes DFW stays on late if they get things going.

Different vARTCCs are very different when it comes to training. Some you really have to put the effort in just to find someone to help or wait in long queues for a spot. Others are a bit easier. You might try a different ARTCC and you’ll get that shine back for being a controller.

I’ve tried the new POSCON network as both controller and pilot. The pilot aspect can really be cool with a lot more effort. With a fairly unlimited pool of resources I actually see it as the future, but that’s just not the case. Resources are tight and pilots aren’t using it. It takes a lot to draw someone away from what works (VATSIM) and has the best of the best controllers.

I’m so glad more and more posts are here talking about first time on VATSIM! This is great.

While it is IFR focused, it is modeled after real life and so you should be able to get flight following just as IRL. Don’t be bashful about flying VFR on the network. Get to it!

2 Likes

I heard on here somewhere that a VR ready iPad app was being developed to solve current Vatsim issues and was expected to be released this summer. Can’t remember the name but it promises to allow ATC instructions to be taken without lifting your headset

1 Like

While I was flying last night DKFW was on fairly late and that’s who I contacted while flying into KMSY. :slight_smile:

Yeah I saw that. They had it going on!

1 Like

I registered, studied the New Member Orientation Course and passed my exam today.

I’m currently sitting on the tarmac in the Kodiak 100 at KBOS just listening in on Approach, Tower and Ground and I’m blown away by this!

I really wish there were more air traffic controllers available elsewhere. I can see how the “holes” in coverage can be a bit of a detractor from the service. I’m guessing off-work and weekend hours will see more activity in my local regions?

There are aspects of the whole new member orientation that seem to be a mystery still to me. For example:

• Do people use a multiplayer server to see one another? How does that work?
  • Do you use this with “Live” traffic and, if so, how does ATC accommodate for that?
  • Nothing is explained about disabling default ATC, I assume it’s just turn the text-to-speech to “OFF”?
  • UNICOM is 122.800, so I ignore the real UNICOM frequency of my home airport (and any others), which is 123.000?

EDIT:

• How does ATIS work? Do you use the in-sim version or are there VATSIM versions we are meant to use? If you use the in-sim and have the text-to-speech turned off, are you meant to read the scrolling text in the ATC window??
1 Like

Since noone has responded for almost a day, I’ll attempt to answer some of your questions as I understand it. I have used Vatsim some but am no expert and am still learning.

1. Of course, you can see others on Vatsim if you are connected to the Vatsim Servers via vPilot or Swift. You can also get VatSpy, Volanta, or a similar program to see the others on Vatsim on a moving map display.
  2. While you can use Vatsim with “Live” traffic, it is recommended you don’t, as it may become difficult to discern Vatsim aircraft from live traffic, and all those on the network, including Vatsim ATC controllers, will not be seeing the same live traffic you might see.
  3. It has been recommended in group learning events I’ve participated in that default ATC should be disabled. It is important to rely on Vatsim ATC only.
  4. Yes, you ignore the real world frequencies and use those you will see being used on the Vatsim network.
  5. Vatsim ATIS is used instead of real world ATIS. Tune to the ATIS frequency shown in vPilot or similar app.
1 Like

Thank you for your reply!

I sort of gathered this, since I can see in vPilot settings for model matching and I’ve added the vmr from FSLTL’s custom models. Does all of this mean that vPilot will generate aircraft models in-sim that represent the various VATSIM pilots/aircraft that are currently active in my surrounding area?

Looking at SimAware, am I to understand that if I start at an airport that is not populated with any VATSIM users I will, essentially, be alone there with no other traffic since live traffic is off?

How do you get the world to feel more “alive” if this is the case?

Yes, as long as you have completed the model-matching in vPilot.

Looking at SimAware, am I to understand that if I start at an airport that is not populated with any VATSIM users I will, essentially, be alone there with no other traffic since live traffic is off?

How do you get the world to feel more “alive” if this is the case?

“Yes” and “Don’t know”. This might be a case where you add live traffic. Others on Vatsim would not be aware of what you’re seeing but you’d be enjoying a more realistic environment. I don’t know that Vatsim officials would agree with this, however. But would you add default ATC then? I don’t know.

1 Like

You might enjoy looking at a video at Flying Broskev or even joining in on one of the group flights held almost every week. These are group flights on Vatsim, intended to be fun and familiarize pilots with Vatsim. The leader of the flights is very knowledgeable and open and very welcoming to anyone with an interest.

1 Like

Hey there, just noticed you replied to this post! So I’ll try and give ya some answers alongside the others that have helped us out…

1. Everything is pulled from the VATSIM server when you hit connect on vPilot.

2. I recommend turning off multiplayer traffic as you’ll have online players and then VATSIM players, which as others said, can be confusing and not as “immersive” seeing a plane on the runway when you were cleared to land.

3. Yes, then the default ATC off/ TTS off.

4. That was answered and my own input would be pointless.

5. They use their own ATIS based on real world weather and time, ensure you have your in game weather set to “live” so it’s accurate to the ATIS. The ATIS most the time is based on real world ATIS of that airport too…

Another thing, if there is no controllers at a relatively busy airport, use the the real world ATIS. I find this by going to https://datis.clowd.io/ You can select just about any “major” facility and see the current ATIS.

From the day I posted this topic to now, I have gained a lot of knowledge off the forums, YouTube videos, and just my own personal experiences. This is such a beautiful hobby, and you can add so much more to better your experience. Happy flying, and welcome to. VATSIM!

1 Like

A question for you all.

When you are departing from an airport without its own ATC, but under the top down control of a Center Radar controller, how do you address this person for clearance, taxi, take off, etc?

For example, in real life you would switch frequencies for each of these requests, whereas in VATSIM you would often remain on one frequency for the entire time.

The question is, when you call this Center controller for taxi instructions, do you address him/her as “ground” or as “center?” Then, do you address him as “tower” when you’re ready to take off?

I address them as they are. Meaning, Iif only Center is on, I’ll address them as Center and let them know which airport I am at so they know where to look.

I fly on VATSIM in VR only. This tool will help a lot in VR: