Fix Cloud Density and any Resulting Effects (wing fade)

I to had not noticed this as I’m concentrating on the flight instruments when in the clouds.
However, it’s a good immersion effect that should be in the sim/game.

Can the OP @SnarledRain1 change this to a “vote” topic? I’d vote for it… The Osobo devs will also take notice.

3 Likes

No. This has never been accomplished in a sim before…Well, I guess Active Sky was able to make this happen way back for FSX.

Anyway, It seems the team is too focused on adding things in your field of view, like landscape, trees , buildings, airports etc - then taking them away when you look around. ​Thus, something like realistic clouds and vapor effects might detract from all the goodness that pops around you and would definitely be considered an immersion breaker.

4 Likes

It would be really cool to have this in the sim, i agree ! !

2 Likes

@Asobo is still possible? This immersion of realism will blow people’s mind. Also flying through clouds should make interaction with the wings. That would be amazing too. If someone can do it, then its Microsoft and Asobo.

2 Likes

As the OP, it’s encouraging to see some discussion. As I posted way back I owned a Sim that had this entirely natural and realistic cloud effect built in. It was highly immersive. The lack of it in MSFS was for me, a major disappointment when checking it out for the first time. It’s ideals were not as high as I had hoped.

In MSFS the planes and the clouds exist in two separate environments, or virtual spaces. Interaction between them is a clever illusion. Let’s give credit where due. At the moment we cannot observe aircraft entering or emerging from cloud as we do in the real world. More importantly as potential inflight threats
I may be a Military-trained pilot but I’m no programmer and suspect that to solve this problem would need a re-designed DNA (core) for the entire sim. But or course, I hope I’m wrong.
‘Sadly’ most users will probably be content to carry on as is.
But we can dream, right?

2 Likes

Apologies, I’m by no means the OP! The rest stabs though for what it’s worth :wink:

2 Likes

Hope it will come with some sim update in the future !

3 Likes

Please more votes for this awesome immersion

2 Likes

underrated effect, wish they will include it asap <3

2 Likes

really sad not seeing this get more up votes. we have a platform that can handle it, we have a community that is littered with eye candy enthusiast and flight sim enthusiasts. i do not see why Asobo would not incorporate this.

3 Likes

yes, push!

3 Likes

That would be great if the effects in the clouds would be improved. I would really appreciate that. It is not very realistic when one is flying in the clouds without any movement of the clouds. It must be the case that when you fly in the clouds that the clouds collide against the cockpit window and that you can then see an effect of it. So when you look at the wings and you would fly through the clouds that the clouds move along with a high speed through the wings and the wings disappear a bit through the clouds. These effects make it realistic. Hopefully they give this point a little attention as this is extremely important when flying and makes a Flight Simulator a real Flight Simulator. This should look lifelike.

3 Likes

Agreed with you. Maybe we have to bring out a video on youtube and share it to the community so we reaching more flight simmers. I wil make a video in short time.

1 Like

Come on we need more votes! :wink: Some cloud physics cloud raytracing and functional WASM weather radar are the most important pending updates for this awesome sim.

2 Likes

Saw this in the FBW yesterday. Thought it was pretty cool to see, although it obviously still need work

4 Likes

yes, indeed ! would be amazing to have this native in the game.

3 Likes

come on guys we need your votes ! what an amazing effect to have.

5 Likes

I noticed that in MSFS, when flying through clouds, the plane never actually gets obscured by clouds. Regardless of whether you are in external view or a cabin view.

A good example of this would be the screenshots below. Here my plane is flying inside heavy clouds, but the view of the wing is never obscured. The wing view is as clear as it would be when flying with no clouds.

Compare that to real life where you can completely lose visibility of the wing when the plane flies through clouds.

I hope this gets resolved as it would make for a much more immersive feel.

I know this might cause people new to simulators to panic when they lose sight of their plane in external view, but that just adds to the realism and will make them rely on the instruments. So maybe this can be an option in the graphics settings if that’s a concern.

11 Likes

Pushing this essential feature request back to the top. It’s a very basic functionality request that adds a lot to the immersion going through voluminous clouds with the wing view partly obstructed is a must have.

Perhaps Asobo can add a checkbox tot he SDK where the ‘hide clouds’ function is hidden inside just the cabin airframe of the aircraft instead of a ‘box’ around the complete aircraft. That way, clouds are visible around the wing, but not inside the cabin and cockpit.

13 Likes

THIS WOULD BE AMAZING!! I hope this Asobo team really takes this into consideration.

3 Likes