Fix ground and low altitude ground effect physics

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

No

Brief description of the issue:

Ground physics issue is particularly noticeable during takeoff and landing and during crosswind conditions. Aircraft currently have a very strong tendency to weathervane. Example: Take C172 and set wind at 90 degrees to the runway at 20kts. Even though this is above the maximum demonstrated crosswind for C172, the aircraft is easily capable of take off and landing in crosswinds much higher than this. However, in the sim it is extremely difficult to even keep the aircraft on the runway.

It feels as though wind is suddenly switched on as the aircraft transitions from ground into ground effect flight.

Since takeoff and landing is arguably the most interesting portion of the flight, improving this would make a big difference to realism.

Agreed. This seems to be especially true in live weather with turbulence set to realistic. I had to turn turbulence down to medium to improve control of the aircraft. When set to realistic, a crosswind at 12 knots can toss you around like a paper airplane.

I recently worked with JustFlight on this problem with the PiperArrow. We determined that the problem was not the airplane, but the simulator.

Also, this is not as noticeable in larger aircraft, such as the 737.

2 Likes

Thank you for opening another topic regarding this serious issue. The current, bad ground physics need highest attention by the devs. As you said aircraft are unflyable in heavy crosswind conditions while take off and landing. It feels like the aircraft controls you and not you are controlling the aircraft.

1 Like

Agreed. I find anything much smaller than a PMDG 737 is basically impossible to keep on the centerline for crosswind takeoffs and landings. I turn on the Auto Rudder in the Assistance Menu as my workaround…not optimal.

2 Likes

Disappointed to see that posts like this are ignored by Asobo entirely. I reinstalled MSFS a week ago and the ground effect is unrealistically overdone. The fact that in December 2023 they still have not addressed this is poor form.

1 Like