[FIXED 1.13.17.0] World Update 3 has broken flight dynamics, exhibit A

Aerosoft Aircraft: CRJ - Page 93 - Product Previews - AEROSOFT COMMUNITY SERVICES

If you check out this link, you will see that Aerosoft are probably going to have to amend the CRJ’s flight model to compensate for these latest changes, so your speculation would appear to be incorrect.

I don’t think this is the problem, the the stall speed is probably accurate as you can fly way slower than the published 1g stallspeed in ground effect, the corresponding lift is probably accurate as well. The problem precisely is the (lack of) drag, in real life the aircraft would run out of energy much quicker, making it possible to achieve landing attitude much sooner.

That is not true, any aircraft is able to fly straight and level at stallspeed (in ground effect below published stall speed). You are maintaining altitude (1g) until the airflow over the wing separates, the aircraft loses lift and starts descending. The explanation that an aircraft should be descending at low speed even if the aircraft isn’t stalled is simply wrong.

2 Likes

By broken I mean that this isn’t really a “bug” imo, they released a positive update without the drag improvements which makes that update positive.

So now it feels like it’s broken

Thank you for your feedback.
I’m escalating the issue to the team.

12 Likes

Edit:. I might be wrong. So I’ll retract this statement so as not to derail the thread.

How is that a positive thing? They completely changed a major part of flight dynamics which resulted in massive landing issues. That’s a negative in my eyes. Either do both or neither at all.

Yeah I agree. They did something which would have been good, but didn’t finish it.

They should have done both, and they should release the drag improvements in Sim Update 3 at the latest imo

They should have waited till both were done, slight inaccuracies are better than broken while waiting for the finished release.

Again this is all speculation, and other than this the update is great! Hopefully a hot fix is issued

I think it may be a bit of both?

I understand what you are saying…but the argument that lack of drag is the problem only holds up as long as we’re talking about trying to get the speed down, not about what happens when the speed is down.

Towards the end of the video, I can maintain straight and level flight at 50 knots with idle power. Extra drag isn’t going to do anything for me there, at that speed on idle power I should not be able to maintain altitude.

I appreciate that, thank you.

Stall definitely has something to do with the amount if lift produced. Just picture this, if you cut the power and maintain altitude, the loss of speed needs to be compensated for by increasing AOA. You can keep increasing the AOA to maintain altitude up to a certain point (aerodynamic stall) after which the CL decreases and the aircrafts weight is going the exceed the lift produced. An aircraft is able to maintain altitude up to the stall speed. The only situation in which the aircraft might be unable to even reach the stall speed is maybe with a forward CG (possibly forward of the CG limit) in which case the horizontal stabilizer and elevator aren’t effective enough to slow down any further.

1 Like

Who will fix all our thirst party paid addon aircraft?

The only acceptable solution here is to have different versions of the flight model so aircraft can call the version they were tuned against, and the developers (both at Asobo and third party) can choose when to upgrade versions to utilize new features.

This seems like something that would be very sensible to include for a sim with a proposed 10 year lifetime.

2 Likes

The question still is, what weight? At low weight we saw the stallspeed is 53 kts, so 50 kts is reasonable. At higher weights it might be too low, but expect the stallspeed to be below the published stallspeed in ground effect. What about the pitching moment? Did you need to keep the nose up or did it fly level by itself?

1 Like

DOUBLE CHECK to make sure the flight model is still set to “Modern”. After updates, it will sometimes get changed to Legacy… or whatever the other option is. Happened to me once and it really messed things up.

1 Like

You’re right, it has been a long time since I thought about this. Once the lift is insufficient if you maintain level pitch the AoA will rapidly increase followed by a full stall. This is what happened before this update if you tried to stretch a landing too far.

1 Like

Hopefully the third party fix is quick, I’m assuming it shouldn’t take much to fix that and update them.

Whatever weight the TBM St Barts landing challenge sets you up with, I haven’t checked. Slight backwards pressure on the stick to maintain a nose-up attitude for touchdown as I normally would.

I understand what you’re saying about the stall speed, but what I’m saying is that at the speeds towards the end of the video, the aircraft should be firmly descending and settling on to the runway (or in this case, water) regardless of whether it has stalled or not. The plane shouldn’t be able to maintain straight and level flight at 50 knots with no power, even in ground effect.

Thank you for marking posts as [REPORTED] . Step in the right direction :+1:

4 Likes

It probably would be able to fly straight and level depending on the weight but not without a lot of backpressure, if you deliberately hold the aircraft of the ground it might be possible. It won’t do this all by itself obviously, I agree with that! Maybe again, the missing drag of the propeller is the cause of all this, normally the drag from the propeller causes a nose down pitching moment.

I agree with this sentiment. My position is that Asobo needs to get the core models and behaviors right, then expose sufficient interfaces and parameters for third parties (including users) to build on them.

Think of the AP turn bug we had where they broke the core behavior and disabled the parameters in the config files. We had no way to fix that until Asobo made changes. That’s bad.

This ground effect / lift behavior is different. They seem to have enhanced the core behavior involving flaps and ground effect interaction, but they haven’t yet tweaked the aircraft config files. BUT, that is something we – or third parties – can do ourselves for the unlocked and payware planes. They introduced some issues in order to give us more control!! That’s good!

1 Like

I flew a C208 flight before and after the world update, same weight, same departure and landing airport, and I noticed the same thing. Flaps seem to really mess up the deceleration and pitch attitude (especially when going from TO to FULL) and results in a really nose low approach attitude and an insanely long floating after flare. It seems that these “fixes” may have introduced something odd:

[RELEASE] Release Notes (1.13.16.0) World Update III: United Kingdom Now Available! - Community / News and Announcements - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

PLANES

• Improved flaps system of aircraft: Aircraft creators can now move the wing surface’s position and camber with each flap system at each flap level
  • Improved ground effect wing to ground interaction system to avoid pitch dip at rotation on some aircraft