[FIXED 1.13.17.0] World Update 3 has broken flight dynamics, exhibit A

Agree completely. Something got broken.

1 Like

The windsock showed you had a strong crosswind from the right, so you would need to be turning in that direction, while using left rudder to keep aligned on final. As you touch down you would need to apply more left rudder to stop the tail being pushed round, as you saw after landing.

You didn’t appear to be correcting for crosswind while in the air, so was this a weather preset with the wind layer close to the ground?

I’m glad I dropped in to see what was up. I thought it was just me suddenly not being able to fly the Caravan properly. I’ve been flying it right through the Caribbean recently and it’s been perfect for hopping in and out of the little runways on the islands… but tonight, I really had a problem landing it on one runway and when I reached Le Lamentin (TFFF) in Martinique, I floated 2/3 way down the runway (the runway is 9842 ft) at zero power. I had flaps at position 1 because the headwind was strong. There’s no way it should have traveled that far?

At Marie Galante (TFFM) which is 4000ft I had to fly it onto the runway and hit the brakes. I thought I was just flying badly.

I’m feeling a bit sad about it because I’m seeing that other aircraft are acting similarly. :frowning: :worried:

IN the Caravan, ground handling is less sticky, but… meh, that’s on the ground so it’s a poor pay-off. Flying is more important than driving around on the taxiways… and landing is one of the best parts of the experience for me.

I hope it gets fixed quickly. Unless it’s been all wrong the whole time and I’ve got used to flying a bad flight model and now it’s fixed I’m struggling??? I don;'t think so though… I’ve flown flight sims a lot in past years. Sadness.

Seriously though how did they have 2 months to release this patch and STILL manage to mess up a fundamental element of the sim?

3 Likes

Just completed a short hop in the C172 “Classic” - my standard for comparison after an update, and the A/C I spend the most time in.

It feels pretty similar to the flight characteristics pre-update, so my experience with the PA-44 Seminole may be limited to that particular model.

I’ll give the Mooney a test flight next…

I tried the 172 too and it seems OK.

I also tried changing the flight model from modern to legacy, both with realistic settings, and it seemed much better with the Caravan, with stall speed being higher and nearer to what it should be and pulling back the throttle on landing put the aircraft promptly on the runway.

The TBM was also better with legacy flight model, with the exception that full flap on approach was like throwing a parachute out the back and needing a very nose down attitude to keep the speed above stall. Half flap was fine though (OK a bit of excessive pitch up upon engagement) and again I was able to put the aircraft on the runway without floating.

This flight model switch may be workable until it is fixed properly.

1 Like

Agreed. The 172 appears close to what it was like pre-patch. Easy to fly, and trim out, landing at around 60kts with no appreciable floating as seen on the C208, the only other plane I’ve tried post-patch.

I tried the Cessna 152 and the diamond 62. Didn’t notice any major problems when landing. But I’m glad that people do careful tests and report problems with the landing physics. With such feedback the sim will steadily improve.

edit: I’ve now flown the PA-44 also, landing physics seems fine to me, but then again I haven’t done a careful test to see if the sim model coincides with all the published data points…

1 Like

I’m actually wondering if anyone from Asobo has actually ever been in a plane let alone flown one.

Haven’t played this game since they butchered it with the Japan Update and loaded it up again and updated everything for the UK update only to find the TBM can now climb at 50kts with idle throttle.

3 Likes

I’ve worked for many companies as a Beta tester in the past, even one that does LCD screens for racing cars. A Flight Sim Company who put our names in the back of the manual. I got hardware sent from the US to England to test and to write small programs for.

In all this experience and more with many companies one important part of testing was observed in each one of them and something I never fully agreed with. So much so that I stopped doing it after some time. The thing was that they gave the specific areas to test and report on with no overall full testing or checking other items for shall we say cross programming and errors. Many of these areas where later diagnosed as the problem ones and it was always the Beta Testers blamed.

You cannot test fully with your hands tied behind your back. Another thing was almost all of them, with tight budgets and time constraints, never took notice of any reports other than the areas they requested in writing to be tested and signed for. They point blank ignored them and allowed them to go out, like planes blacked out, planes parked inside fuel pumps, buildings misaligned. I even gave out fixes for them and they were never followed up.

3 Likes

Ahh, gotcha. I thought you were talking about aircraft in general.

But how can we, the customer, hold them accountable? Our (the simmers) problem is, we want realistic like we are used from other sims, but we also want the eye candy. It seems to get it all is somehow asking too much. I do regret having paid double for the premium deluxe, as it hasn’t given me any advantages.

I spoke too soon as pretty much any aircraft turns into an airborne wheelbarrow with full flaps set on legacy flight model.

On a positive note, upon switching back to modern flight model, the 747 was very well behaved, even at full flaps, with no big pitch up on flap deployment, a positive AOA on final approach with full flaps, believable speeds and no floating down the runway at zero thrust setting.

None of the aircraft in the sim are turned against the Legacy model and using it will cause nothing but problems. Some add-on aircraft won’t even fly and stay stuck to the ground in that mode. Suggesting people use this as workaround sets them up for problems later.

3 Likes

Don’t do Legacy. Just don’t. It’s ONLY for imported FSX conversions (the freeware ones). Not to be used with anything created for this sim.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure I just said I’m not using legacy anymore. It was a desperation attempt to get some old faithfuls flying again and it showed it’s true (bad) colours with the 747.

Modern all the way, even if it is currently somewhat borked!

The fix is already out for the A32NX in the latest developer version. It will come to a new stable version (0.5.3) soon.

2 Likes

Since I’m reading a lot of comments about 3rd party fixes, freeware or payware. That implies that the issue is with the mods or 3rd party aircraft. Does anyone still have this issue flying the out-of-the-box aircraft?

Hey people, even Boeing slipped up bigly on the 737 MAX. This simulator is very realistic ! :wink: :innocent:

Yes, and pretty much all except two official aircraft, the two with modded files, and probably by chance the 152, and 172s.

1 Like