[FIXED 1.13.17.0] World Update 3 has broken flight dynamics, exhibit A

Catastrophic drivel.

2 Likes

Thankfully, there IS a way to like posts such as this. :grin:

1 Like

Nice diction, but lacking substance.

#1. Just because a developer fixes something, doesn’t mean it was wrong. I’ve read first hand accounts of developers changing their sim to appeal to what users expect rather than what is realistic.

#2. I didn’t say it was right or wrong, so I’m not sure how I would feel stupid.

Let’s step back to the big picture again. Yes, Asobo did change the underlying physics model, but it was to make it more realistic. That’s a good thing.

The bad thing is that they did so without adjusting the individual aircraft config files. It thus subtly – or not so subtly – changed some of the flight behaviors simmers had gotten used to. But in the big picture, Asobo is perfectly aware that there are mod groups, individual file tweakers (like me), and third party aircraft vendors that can shortly adjust the behavior for the most popular planes.

Should this be how things work? NO. But it is the way things work right now. And I fully expect all aircraft models to be adjusted in Sim Update 3. Meanwhile, we can enjoy the freely modded A320NX if we like airliners, the Longitude if we like biz jets, the TBM for high performance turbo-prop, and the small Cessnas.

Asobo did not ruin everyone’s life, and they made important improvements to the core flight model. Some of those improvements were necessary to enable deeper third party aircraft.

I approve, and if that paints me as an Asobo defender, well – I just looked in the mirror and the color looks good on me.

4 Likes

You have a video on the first post, and a few more over the topic. That’s more than an emotional analysis.

2 Likes

:laughing:

I didn’t paid to a third party or free devs, I paid to Asobo. The less I can expect is and update with default aircraft working as intended. And no in a later release, but in the same one. I’m fine you are pleased with an incomplete product, but 261 people, me included, are not.

Yep, I have no problem with this position. I’m not out to witch-hunt the Devs.

To be clear, I am very happy they’ve made some changes that will ultimately be positive for the sim. I’m not happy they released them without also making the changes necessary to allow their default planes to work with the new changes.

I know it’ll all be sorted eventually but right now, it’s frustrating. I know the A32NX has been fixed, are there mods knocking around for the TBM and others?

It’s not. I don’t know any way to explain why without sounding very rude, so I’ll suffice to say that an education in computational aerodynamics would provide a large insight into why a one minute clip without any context is insufficient to provide concrete analysis of simulator accuracy.

1 Like

Hi, Crow. Glad to see your input. But what you’re maybe missing is the extensive real world experience and expertise that is represented in this thread. Ignore all the unknowledgeable posters for a second, and read the posts towards the top.

The experts here admit that there are still things that are incorrect about the flight model, but the predominant theory and experimental evidence seem to be that drag is the missing element. Prop drag, gear drag, and flap drag are three glaring omissions.

Gear, flap, and spoiler drag can be – and have been – adjusted in the aircraft config files. But with these new core flight behavior changes that Asobo just made, it has reduced overall drag to the point where the former config file changes are not enough anymore. The planes just won’t slow down realistically at idle thrust.

But all that means is that the config files need to be tweaked to add more – and I think more realistic – drag where possible. It’s an easy fix. But in the long run, Asobo will need to break things again by making the core flight model support more realistic drag.

So in summary, there are still things wrong with the flight model. The forum experts have been continuously analyzing, experimenting, and vociferously identifying those things for many months now. Asobo is aware of those things as evidenced by this recent update. It’s good that they broke our tweaked config files in order to improve the core flight model.

There are many threads and posts that you would probably find very interesting. Click on my avatar or Ninja’s and you can easily find a bunch of expert analysis of the flight models by very experienced pilots and very technical experts in software engineering and aerodynamics.

1 Like

And there you have it in a Nutshell !!!

Every time Asobo change the flight Modeling, (and hopefully THEIR Planes to match), all other Plane developers have to “Figure out” what Asobo has changed, and then update their Models, hoping their Customers will get the new updates.

I am NOT saying that Aobo should not make improvements, but in this case, they really need to make available to ALL, and especially anyone with Plane s in the MS Store, EXACTLY Technical (very technical) description of what has been changed, and how it was catered for in the Asobo planes.

An Update Change log that says things like : "improved the “Twitchiness” of aircraft, just does not cut it, and gives the impression to all, that thing are being done in a very Non-Professional and slapstick way.

Asobo is better than this, or MS would not have entrusted them with the legacy of “MS Flight Simulators”

4 Likes

Okay, let’s do it this way then because I am open to this debate.

You say the clip I have posted isn’t strong enough evidence to show that something isn’t quite right in the sim at the moment. You mentioned context, there is context…it’s the TBM landing challenge so the weather and weights are whatever that sets you up with but let’s say fairly calm weather, average weight.

Can you outline for me, using your real-world experience as a flight instructor and your background in aeronautics, a real-world scenario that explains the video I’ve posted, an outline of what would make this possible in real-world conditions?

The scenario being an approach flown almost entirely at idle with full flaps and gear down, and the plane floating the entire length of the runway and continuing to float over twice the length of the runway down to speeds as low as 50knots (on idle power the whole way) without descending and settling onto the runway or into the sea?

With the flare a 89 knots as I did (a bit fast), I would have expected a bit of a float but at idle thrust and with a slight nose-up attitude my speed should have bled off quickly enough that I should have settled onto the runway about a third or half way down. The only reason the speed was so fast on approach and flare is because even at idle thrust, it seems next to impossible to lose that speed on a steep approach like this after the recent round of updates.

1 Like

Again, it’s hard to say. One of the main benefits (or drawbacks depending on circumstance, such as a short runway) of ground effect is a reduction in drag. How much is too much? I don’t know because I don’t have access to the code or even an output of parameters. My testing thus far doesn’t show significant issues. I’m curious enough that I might record video of myself flying all of the aircraft in the sim that I have real life experience in (C152, C172, C208, Baron, and King Air) and see how they stack up.

2 Likes

You explained this well. To piggy back on this, but not to deflate the import of your comments, I’ve also noticed that the parking brake on the Super Cub no longer “holds” the AC stationary. Wonder if this problem is related.

I tried the 208 and the stall horn goes off at around 30knots (fully loaded). Not sure why some people have to defend Asobo in every case.

2 Likes

It fixed the 152, that now flies properly.

No one has shown you evidence? Did you miss the first 300 posts? Go try land on the St. Barts landing challenge with the TBM right now and come back.

EDIT: and for the record, I am also a real life pilot and I have almost 1,000 hours logged on MS2020 so I have lots of experience as well.

7 Likes

St. Barts is a toughy to land on anyway. I can’t see your speed but take your word for it, but looking at the scenery go by I would think your approach speed is waay to high. You look like you are approaching at over 100 kts. For grins and giggles does your “external look” airspeed sync with your cockpit air speed. Wonder if the the air speed indication is hosed up rather than the ground effect problem Asobo tried to fix with this update. I can’t wait to get to my rig to fly the same landing to see if I experience what you do. Will report back, although I am not real versed in the TBM. I’ll try this one as well as the Cessna 172, with which I teach simulator training for an arm of the USAF.

I agree 100%.
If that paints me as an ASOBO defender as well, maybe we can go splits on the paint!

1 Like