[FIXED 1.13.17.0] World Update 3 has broken flight dynamics, exhibit A

I fly in real life. I can stop my 152 in roughly the same amount of space landing at 55 or 60 kt. Can honestly say that the 20m assumption is just that, an assumption

Of course you can do that. You can force it on the ground, you can break more or less. I am talking about a clean flare without positive touch down (flown out to stall, touch down right at stall). Try it next time. Set your gate speed at 55, 60 and 65 knots and then the measure the distance from gate with your vRef to touch down, idle at gate.

1 Like

Good critical thinking. Lift is NOT the problem. It’s the absence of sufficient drag. Search for “drag” in the flight_model.cfg file. In the TBM, Asobo’s default for the landing gear drag coefficient is 0.01. Change just that to 0.06 and test the difference. You have to change it and restart the simulator – or use the Developer mode techniques to avoid a restart.

With just that one change, I think you’ll find the TBM takes off, flares, and lands much more realistically. I’m a real pilot with a lot of time in a Piper Arrow. With the increased landing gear drag, I find that the TBM flies a lot like the (much slower) Arrow, including pitch and drag reactions from flaps, and similar behavior in and out of ground effect. It’s a pleasure to hand fly now!!

1 Like

I just did a diff on the last release to this release, nothing in that file has changed since the last update, so its not that!

1 Like

You are essentially undoing the change Asobo made to the core flight model, but you’re doing it plane by plane. You won’t be able to do that on the premium planes, and I assure you, the FBW team, the CJ4 team, the TBM mod, and third party aircraft developers are NOT doing this. They WANT a better core flight model. In fact, there are some theories that some of them (Aerosoft?) are delaying aircraft release dates waiting for this – and other – core changes.

So what are all those guys changing to make their planes fly beautifully again?

INCREASING DRAG!!! They are not killing lift!

1 Like

That might be because the only two aircraft that actually had changes made to that file are the A320, and the 747-8:

yea exactly, so channging the value for the TBM probably won’t fix. I’ll try and see if it helps though.

I thought that was the very reason why we would need to change those files, as Asobo didn’t. They changed the flight model, but didn’t change individual aircraft files to match this new flight model.

1 Like

That’s not sensible at all. These kind of changes are wanted and needed – even if they break existing tweaks. But I agree that a separate beta period and audience is needed before general release so that mods can be tested and fixed beforehand.

The most important thing, though, is that continual progress on enhancing / fixing the core behavior MUST GO ON!

2 Likes

You maybe right. But how can we work out what it should be?

Asobo changed the core flight behavior code. This affects ALL aircraft flight behavior. Hobanagerik is confirming that they did NOT adjust individual aircraft config files other than the default A320 and Boeing 747-8.

This absolutely means that changing the TBM flight_model.cfg file is needed in order to adjust for the changes in the core flight behavior code. Making changes will absolutely have an effect as long as you make the changes in the right file (right place, too), and correctly make it take effect. Restart the sim to be sure.

If you need further proof, click on my avatar and look at my profile. I am a respected member of this community. I assure you I have personally made changes to the TBM config file, increased drag from the landing gear, and test flown the TBM with that change.

It is now a pleasure to fly by hand and flies more realistically on takeoff, while climbing and descending, flaring, and landing.

1 Like

Is that possible, that someone make a list for all aircrafts, that show me the part i must change.

I want to fly the 747 today and must know how i edited the cfg to flare more realistic

Unless you have good technical knowledge and skills, you have the following choices:

1. Find a good mod – they’re out there for the TBM, Longitude, and A320.

2. Look at the flight_model.cfg files in mods and tweaks by others, and copy it or roll your own based on those as starting points.

3. Wait for Sim Update 3 when Asobo (hopefully) adjusts all the aircraft config files.

4. Make changes by trial and error, and test the results in experimental flights.

Okay thanks! :slight_smile:
I don’t think editing the files directly is great, so I’ve made a mod which increases the drag off the landing gear and also changes the flap lift.

I can confirm this does seem to fix the floating issue, but needs more testers.

Download:

Pop it into the community folder and restart the sim.

1 Like

If you have an enhancement that makes something worse it makes sense to return it to the thing that worked better whilst it is being fixed.

1 Like

Unfortunately, each plane has many, many parameters and the documentation is not good at all. You can’t make the same changes in two different planes and get the same results. And many of those parameters come from the world of aeronautical engineering and its complicated equations and interactions.

The best thing to do is to find a good mod for a plane you will like to fly, and then just stick with that plane for a couple of months or so.

As a general statement, however, it is my STRONG opinion that if any mods are made to the config files, they should focus on adding some drag to offset the new core flight model changes. And don’t just add overall drag at random. The drag needs to realistically come from things like deployed landing gear, adding notches of flaps, prop drag (not yet modeled), increased AOA, and other aircraft-specific factors.

Actually,
the changes to the individual aircraft flight model should not have been needed at all. They are not in response to the welcome additions to the core flight model. These changes will have to be removed once the issue that brought about their need is addressed.

Try my fix :stuck_out_tongue: for the TBM

Either I’m not understanding you or we don’t agree on the premise of your statement.

My premise: The changes Asobo made to the core flight model made that core flight model BETTER, not worse. Furthermore, those changes were wanted and needed to support more realistic aircraft behavior and third party developer requirements.

Based on my premise, what is needed is for the individual aircraft config files to be adjusted to match the new core flight model. Therefore, no “reversion” is needed or desired. And the only thing we’re dependent on Asobo to “fix” is the premium aircraft config files. Third parties can easily adjust the open planes by increasing drag – not by killing lift to essentially undo Asobo’s core change.

Better yet, Asobo could save themselves a lot of pain and complaints by opening the flight model and system config files on the premium planes.

1 Like

The practical effect of the core flight model changes was get to more realistic lift behavior. The problem is that all the individual aircraft configs had been over-adjusted to compensate for that lack of realistic lift. They did that partially by increasing lift coefficients too much, and partially by reducing drag effects. Now, after the update, all the aircraft have too much lift and not enough drag.

The changes to the core flight model are good, but all the aircraft config files do indeed have to be modified. And once the core flight model is changed again to better model drag (adding prop drag, for example), then all config files will have to be changed yet again. In the case of them adding prop drag, hopefully they expose control parameters for that in the newer config files.

3 Likes