[FIXED] Crash to Desktop without error message [Exception code 0xc0000005] - how I got rid of the issue [AMD GPU]

TL:DR ,.,.,.,Body seems unclear, is it a complete sentence?, Yes

Hi, silentmichal and I, we have spent sometime changing ideias about amd drivers crash and errors. This Friday, my pc update the windows but something go wrong and the pc just starts freezing. The way that I found was formatting my ssds and do a fresh install of windows. I will xplane what I did, for now it’s working, but not sure if those amd drivers will start crashing again or not. So let’s go
1- all ssd have been formated and a brand new windows was installed;
2- latest amd drivers have been installed including the optional one.
3- msfs 2020 and a few more games have been installed
4-no other program have been installed yet, for ex Logitech software for my headset.
After spent some hours on Saturday and almost all day on Sunday testing if those drivers crash or not, everything was fine. I flown more than one hour on msfs with no issues.
I believe that driver crash could be related to some program/software, which causes conflict with the drivers. For ex my Logitech software a few months ago, after one update, cause xp 11crash to desktop when I plug my USB headset. After uninstall that the Sim starts working fine again. So, my advice is, do the steps that I mentioned, the start installing your programs one by one, and testing if msfs starts crashing with amd drivers after the instalation of a specific program. Maybe this way you could find what is causing your problems.
Hope this could help you and Sorry this long testament.

There are some differences indeed… so it might be as I explained in my previous post.
However - could you please provide the “Information” event seen in Windows Event Viewer window (System related entries)? I mean… this particular line:
Information /////// 18-04-2021 19:35:47 /////// Service Control Manager /////// 7045 /////// None

it seems interesting enough to me.

Could you elaborate please? I don’t know what you mean.

Nice it has worked for you :smiley: It’s a little bit “harsh” solution as Windows reinstallation is often a pain for people, but it’s good to know you got it fixed.

Very possible. If you ever find out what was the cause here, share it with us as it will be a valuable information for others :smiley:

By the way - the sim seems to work just fine now (except for some weird ATC bugs/issues). I had 3 really long flights since that crash (Monday, Tueseday, Wednesday) and… so far so good. It seems it was a random crash OR the hotfix actually fixed something (I believe I had to download something from MS Store) OR the latest Windows Updates updates and/or inside-sim updates (15 pending as seen above) actually helped. Difficult to tell, but it looks really promising now in my case.

2 Likes

Good to hear. !!

I will try reproduce the info you ask and come back here.

Greetings

1 Like

This thread has been marked as fixed but I’m not able to understand what the solution is. Anyone has any idea? I’ve a completely different Graphic Card yet the same problem since SU5

3 Likes

I set up this thread only to present my situation and my solution (it’s in the 1st post - my solution was a complete driver reinstall). It worked for me. It’s definitely not “the ultimate solution” to all CTDs. Especially to CTDs that now people experience due to the latest SU5 update.

One extra side note here: since I completely reinstalled my GPU drivers, I thought everything was working flawlessly. And for the most part it was. However when I was streaming MSFS on Twitch (using official Radeon Relive streaming feature), I was getting random CTDs very often. So I stopped streaming at all and for 2 months now (or something like that) everything works great for me.

1 Like

I have nvidia

I recently acquired an amd system
Spec
Ryzen 5 3600 cpu
Asrock Radeon rx6700xt graphics card
Vulcan Z T-Force 32GB ddr4 memory
Seagate firecuda 520 500GB ssd
Team group 512gb Vulcan g nano ssd
WINDOWS 10 home advanced

From day one I was experiencing crash to desktop problems on any game I had installed on the system, I wasn’t having much luck troubleshooting the drivers because every fix I deployed I was still having the same ctd, then I had an epiphany and I had another 32gb memory lying around which I added to the motherboard and it solved my ctd and now I have hours of uninterrupted gaming plus getting between 40 and 50fps flying GA aircraft over London.

In your case you were experiencing CTDs in all games you tested - that indicated there could be a bigger hardware-related issue and it seems it was RAM memory :slight_smile:

Do you get any news? I get the same message, something about a permission.

My windows user account is not an administrator.

04.2023 UPDATE

After getting CTDs once again and having spent countless hours looking for the solution, I went for the last one I could think of - hardware replacement. I replaced my CPU (Ryzen 5 3600) and GPU (RX 5700 XT) with Ryzen 5 5600 and RX 6800 XT. Since then (over 4 months now) I have flown over 130 hours in MSFS and had 0 CTDs. Interestingly, before replacing both CPU and GPU I replaced my GPU with RX 6600 (having still Ryzen 5 3600 CPU installed). I was still getting CTDs. What’s even more interesting - after I replaced my CPU with Ryzen 5 5600 I left my RX 5700 XT installed at the beginning. Guess what… yep, CTDs remained with me. Is it possible that both CPU and GPU had some kind of flaws? …

What (I think) may be the reason why I was getting CTDs after all - it seems that MSFS is very sensitive to some little-hardware-bugs or instabilities - you name it. Replacing CPU and GPU eliminated these instabilities so it works now as intended… that’s all I have to say about it.