(FIXED) CTD on every single flight after using new CPU and motherboard

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

No

Brief description of the issue:

I used to have an i9-9900k with ASUS rog maximus xi motherboard which I’ve recently upgraded to i7-13700k on Asus Prime z790-p using the same GPU which is RTX 3080ti and same RAM (technically I only replaced the CPU, motherboard, and the cooling system). I did it in a certified service centre (Canada Computers). Before the upgrade, MSFS was working fine without almost no CTDs issue. Now, I’m experiencing CTD on every single flight sometimes during the plane startup and sometimes during the flight and I haven’t been able to log a single flight since then. I did not add/remove any new third-party software from my old computer setup. My GPU is up to date as well as all my motherboard drivers. I’ve done tons of workarounds I found online including installing a fresh Windows and flight sim but neither of them helped.
Below is the info I found on event viewer every time I have a CTD:
Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.29.28.0, time stamp: 0x635faded
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.29.28.0, time stamp: 0x635faded
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000204cf29
Faulting process id: 0x0x520
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D8FDC899187C75
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: 37073e05-f090-470b-bf69-e39bbe6d12b2
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Run MSFS, load a flight, and CTD happens on every single flight either during plane startup or mid flight

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

i7-13700k, 32gb RAM DDR4, RTX3080ti

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.29.28.0, time stamp: 0x635faded
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.29.28.0, time stamp: 0x635faded
Fault offset: 0x000000000204cf29
Faulting process id: 0x0x520
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D8FDC899187C75
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: 37073e05-f090-470b-bf69-e39bbe6d12b2

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

IDK

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

If on PC, Fault Bucket ID - Instructions here - Please type in just the Fault Bucket ID # rather than a screenshot for privacy reasons:

Tbh it could be a lot of things but I suggest you visit your MS account and under devices check that your “old” pc is not still showing. If so then take a note of it’s name before deleting it then if windows licensing starts bothering you it might help if you rename your new install with the old.

1 Like

I’ve seen people say turning off ai traffic helped (I’m not having ctd)
Also clear/delete the rolling cache
Running msfs with High CPU priority really helps smooth out the overall performance

Last thing to consider, try the beta…I’m currently on the beta and sim is running as well as su10 for me.

1 Like

Windows 10 or 11?
Core i7 gen 13 needs Windows 11 for correct multi-thread scheduling. (Intel Thread Director)

3 Likes

Well, I’ve tried “a lot of things” and unfortunately neither of them had been of any help! I checked the account and found my old system and removed it. Just did test flight and CTD again…

I’ve done all of these :frowning: I even did a whole clean windows 11 install as well as clean MSFS install after failing with beta.

Have you tried starting in SAFE mode as per this link?

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/command-line-parameter-to-start-the-sim-in-safe-mode/535418

1 Like

Moved to Community Support-CTD help for community assistance.

1 Like

I’ll try it in safe mode and update shortly.

Update: Did a safe mode test flight for more than one hour with A310. No CTDs! But, before saying there’s something in the community folder that causes the crash, please note I was using exactly the same addons when I had the old motherboard and CPU. The only difference is I’ve replaced the motherboard, CPU and cooling system. I also monitor the GPU and CPU temperature and they are between 50-60.

Also, which nvidia driver are you using?
And what messages show in the Event Viewer?

1 Like

I was using the latest one 562.98 and then rolled back to what I thought is more stable which was 522.25 but it crashed again. Below is what I have in the viewer:
Fault offset: 0x00000000027fcf94
Faulting process id: 0x0xB80
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D8FE00617231A2
Report Id: 664ed14b-2dd5-4e91-a2ab-25a44e8c8aed

Try running DDU+ to fully uninstall gpu driver then reinstall 522.25 and test.

Might also want to run Memtest and lastely test if the newest msfs beta solves the issue…

2 Likes

So many variables it’s a tough one…
Could be as simple as a thermal paste issue up to hardware issues…
Try turning hyperthreading off,
Make sure HAGS is off (Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling)

I’ll clean reinstall the driver as instructed and see how it goes. However, do I need to play with hyperthreading since the sim didn’t crash in safe mode? I also realized that the HAGS was on. I’ll turn it off and see what happens. Thank you so much for the tips though!

No, definitely not required to disable hyperthreading…that would just lower the heat, increase stability and possibly indicate temp issues…
Yeah leave the hyperthreading as is.

HAGS can definitely be problematic…let us know after you test.

1 Like

Did a clean install using DDU in windows safe mode with internet disconnected for 522.25. also disabled HAGS. CTD again…
The only scenario that seems to have no CTD is if I use MSFS in safe mode.

Ugh…sounds like the next step is gonna have to be to clear community folder and add back Addons 1 by 1…or clusters of like 5 or 10 at a time to narrow down the culprit…i know these addons worked previously…but maybe they created their own config files based on your old configuration

1 Like

Such a lovely step! I was actually thinking about it. Will give this a try.

1 Like

Is the fastest but is also the least stable, for me anyway it is (yet I still use it)

1 Like

Ok I did the community removing in clusters. Now I only have the PMDG in the community folder. I removed them in three clusters. The last cluster which includes one Scenery from ORBX, another one from Aerosoft, and Flytampa Toronto seems to be the culprit. When I removed those and started a flight from Toronto to Vancouver with PMDG 737, the sim looks stable since the last 1 hour into the flight and there hasn’t been any CTDs so far. What I’m going to do is to install back the rest of the community stuff I removed through the first two clusters and see which one of the sceneries would be the culprit. Having said that, say Flytampa is the culprit, how should I fix it?

1 Like