[FIXED] Random CTDs due to internet and hardware issues

Maybe the level of detail for objects? Should he one of the sliders.

Happy landings!

First of all, the screenshot you compare your scenery to is from the alpha stage of the game which changed before release.

Furthermore, try the “Ultra” preset in your settings or change “Buildings”, “Texture Resolution” and “Texture Synthesis” to Ultra and make sure both “Terrain Level of Detail” and “Objects Level of Detail” are set to 200. This ensures FS2020 will render its environment with the highest quality the game engine has to offer.

However, this may be very taxing for your system, depending on your specs. Give it a try and update us with some screenshots when you feel like it :wink:

Ladies and gentlemen,

IT’S TIME TO UPDATE :star_struck:

Patch Version 1.7.14.0 has been released and is available for download!

­
Update FS in the windows store first then start it. Steam users simply start FS and the update will be downloaded.

Please find the patch notes here:

I’m flying Live multiplayer with windows 10, 2004
The event viewer faulting module path is:
\steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSlimulator\FlightSimulator.exe

The event viewer faulting application path is:
\steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSlimulator\FlightSimulator.exe

I just started noticing that I have been flying jets when the crashes are happening and some airliners with both low FPS. Yesterday, I tried some general aviation planes and the FPS was 60+, sometimes spiking past 100. It could be the way the Jets and Airliners are model that are causing low FPS and desktop crashes.
I tried fly the B747 from KLAX to KSAN with low FPS yesterday and the FMC did not want to follow the flight plan. The plane flew in the opposite direction of KSAN and I had to fly manual all the way to KSAN. And I notice that there is no direct-to on the FMC. Or I couldn’t find it! And I could not input a new waypoint when directed by ATC.

Hi @AmbitiousPilots - nothing in the Event Logs pointed to a suspect DLL. All I saw were the suspect ‘Faulting ProcessID’ and other data that referenced my specific install of the app.

I’m also sad to say that I was forced to rebuild my PC from the ground up!
After trying to update the VS C++ Redistributables and restart FS, it said I needed to install the (Aug27) updates before I could fly - yes my timing is impeccable! UGH!!
Installing the updates then gave me an error that my SSD did not have the capacity for the entire install (100+ GB). UGH! So, I decided to uninstall and attempt to re-install FS. BIG MISTAKE! Re-installing FS from the MS Store crashed my PC and forced-rebooted every time! I ended up rebuilding Windows from a fresh USB stick - hopefully I can bring things back up to a workable state. UGH!!

I’ll reply back in a day or so and let y’all know what I did to fix things.

This is a BIZARRE experience!

Oh - and I was also able to revert back to Win10-1909, which might increase my chances of having a GREAT flight in the near future :slight_smile:

Hi @ChrisofUSA7229, the bigger aircraft are indeed requiring more resources as they’re more complex, mainly the cockpit instruments.

What you can try is a community fix that lowers the “refresh rate” of these cockpit instruments, which should help increase FPS and lower the amount of work the CPU has to cope with every second.

Here’s how to:

1. Download this zip file and extract to e.g. your desktop:
    https://www.postfrontal.com/FS2020/FPS-Fix_Community_Folder.zip
    ­
  2. Copy the folder called “FPS-Fix-15Hz” to the FS2020 community directory.
    To find this directory, enable “Developer Mode” in the general game settings. In the dev menu at the top of your screen, click on Tools and select “Virtual File System”. Expand “Watched Bases” and note down the path containing “\Community”.
    ­
  3. Run FS2020 and start a flight with an airliner.
    ­

­
Credits for this fix:
https://np.reddit.com/r/flightsim/comments/igw31c/lowering_2d_instrument_refresh_rate_improves/
https://www.nexusmods.com/microsoftflightsimulator/mods/34
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/small-js-config-file-mod-to-gain-10-15-fps-in-airliners-and-glass-cockpit-planes/221308

­

­

@DanZ0208 that’s very weird that the re-install of FS messed up your OS. Personally, I think there was something else that got corrupted which prevented it from running. That’s one reason I’m using a separate SSD partition running a separate Windows installation for my games.

Did you try to run Windows in safe mode or use any recovery method before rebuilding? Because it’s unlikely that the update of the C++ Redistributables, the Windows Update and FS re-install would’ve caused so much damage, that’d have rendered Windows unrecoverable. I hope you’ve made some backups of important data. In case you didn’t, I recommend you start doing so.

Anyhow, it’s indeed sad to hear this happened to you. But the good thing is you’re running a fresh Windows with version 1909 now, which should be the more stable one for FS.

Keep us updated. Questions are welcome any time!

2 Likes

You do not have a clue, what You are talking about. Do not write nonsense like this before checking the complete truth of Your sayings.

The patch gave me 10fps more by fixing the somconnect issues.

3 Likes

:hammer_and_wrench: The development update of September 3rd states, that  patch #2 will be released this month  focusing on the simulation experience itself. Sounds promising! Check out the following link for more details:

https://www.flightsimulator.com/september-3rd-2020-development-update/#:~:text=Patch%20#2%20has%20advanced%20to%20the%20final%20testing%20phase.

­
­

@ambitiouspilots why do I often got the MSFS freezes or not responding? I have this issue since I downloaded its contents, until I play the game now.
The Windows Task Manager shows that flightsimulator.exe is not responding, so I have to click End Task and relaunch the sim again.
When it happens? It happens randomly, but always does.
I’m still using i7 4770K, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 Super, SSD, updated Windows 10 version 2004, updated Nvidia graphic driver.
And also, the audio sounds stuttering/lagging.
Any solution? Thanks before…

When a process like FlightSimulator.exe becomes unresponsive and your audio is lagging, that’s a typical sign that your CPU is not able to cope with the work it’s being bombarded with. So your CPU is the bottleneck in your system, even though it has 4 cores and 8 threads. But FS is currently having issues with multithreading which will be fixed in one of the upcoming patches. So don’t rush and buy a new CPU yet, unless you want to of course.

At what speeds (GHz) is your CPU running? You can see this in the task manager (ctrl+alt+del → Performance tab → CPU → Speed) or e.g. CPU-Z. Do not bother with the “@ x.xGHz” in the title string, as that is the default “stock” speed, important is the number under “speed”. In CPU-Z it’s under clock speeds.

However, I can give you some tips that may improve your experience with FS.

­
1. Always restart your PC and internet router before playing FS

Why You Should Restart Your Computer – CLAS IT

­
2. Make sure your power plan is set to “High Performance” or “Ultimate Performance” when available

see instructions above under “Make sure PC is running at its fullest potential”

­
3. Eliminate unnecessary autostart programs and running background services

https://www.howtogeek.com/173347/beginner-geek-everything-you-need-to-know-about-disabling-startup-programs-on-windows/
­
Debloat Windows in 2022

­
4. Set performance priority to background services, this alleviates the CPU hunger of FS

Press “win key + r” on keyboard → Enter “SystemPropertiesPerformance /pagefile” → Under “Processor scheduling” click on “Background services”

­
5. Limit the FPS of FlightSimulator.exe in the Nvidia Control Panel to 30 FPS

Open Nvidia Control Panel, click “Manage 3D settings” on the left and open the “Program Settings” tab. Select “Microsoft Flight Simulator (flightsimulator.exe)” from the drop down list. Scroll down to “Max Frame Rate”, switch to “On” and set the value to “30”. Click apply at the bottom.

­
Give these steps a try. If FS will still not run properly, double check that your CPU is not being underclocked by some sort of power saving mechanism. Have a look in the BIOS / UEFI.

Your system should be able to run FS without the hiccups you describe. As reference, I got FS running smoothly on a system with i5 6600k CPU @ 4.4GHz (only 4 cores and 4 threads), Nvidia GTX 970, 32GB RAM @ 3000MHz, Windows 10 v2004, all installed on SSDs, game settings medium to high, running an average of 40FPS on a 1080p monitor and no crashes.

Keep us updated on how it goes :wink:
­

2 Likes

My specs. I9-9900k, 2080ti Asus oc version. 32gb ram and 2004 windows. 1gig internet connection. Alpha user since January with no issues. Since beta ctd. Two days ago did a clean reinstall of windows. And now I have only fs2020 on system. I can run the sima little bit better after setting Xbox services to automatic as suggested by support. But it still crashes randomly. After completing short flight it crashed on main menu. Doing a new flight cold and dark startup. Crashed twice. And I get randomly odd textures in lakes and rivers that pop up and disappear.

Nothing works, Still CTDs , the only game/sim which crashes (high end)

@MasterYodakin, welcome to this thread.

Did the flight simply stop and the main menu was loaded after, or did your game also crash completely to the desktop? Did you perform a speedtest (preferably several ones at different times to rule out possible network congestion), what were the results?

Your system specs are definitely not the source of your issues.

Even though you’ve got a gigabit connection, this sounds like a connection problem to the Microsoft servers. Might be that the Azure cloud servers are currently overloaded in your area. As soon as FS2020 loses connection, it returns to the main menu. This is an anti-piracy measure of the game, but can have the side effect you describe. That’s also the reason why FS2020 cannot be played fully offline.

What you can do, is disable “Live Real-World Air Traffic” and “Live Weather” in the game menu under options → general → data. This costs a lot of bandwidth alongside the Bing World Streaming. Also make sure “Data Limitation” is set to off.
­
This makes FS2020 only consume bandwidth for the world streaming and should solve the crash to menu and blurry textures issues.

Of course it’s a trade-off between realistic simulation and performance, but it’s definitely better to be able to fly with artificial weather and no/AI traffic instead of experiencing game interruptions all the time.

In the following video you see a comparison between what FS looks like when it IS and IS NOT streaming the world data. Does the offline version look familiar to your sim? Then you simply didn’t get the data from Microsoft at that time, even though you enabled it in the settings. Try the streaming settings I’ve described above and see if that works for you.

@Zixxstar what are your exact system specs? Is it an AMD Ryzen system? What Windows version are you running?

Thanks for time to try to solve our issues.

I am getting 100% CTD not menu. And 100% of it when I try to start procedures of a320 from cold and dark. I barely reach first engine spooling and it crashes. Although if I start from runway I can reach much farther and even do small flights only if I do not go to external view. There has been random ctd also at menu section so can’t be streaming issues.

1 Like

I get CTD every 30 minutes no matter which airport or area im flying. The sim crashes to desktop. i tried the low settings and well as ultra but same results. CPU and GPU usages are below 80 when locked 30fps in NCP. Me and my friend with same specs tried all the avaiable fixes provided by Microsoft and people but nothing seems to fix this issue.

i7 8700k
GTX 1080
32gb 3600mhz rams (XMP on and off) same result
AIO
700w PSU
Z370 mobo

Edit: Why would we turn of all the realism options? thats not what we paid for.

OK!!! I don’t want to get hyper excited but I just finally managed a full flight from Cold and dark to gate at destination. Till now I was getting 100% CTD on starting engines. I had Ultra settings and Real weather and traffic.

SO, I had tried a load of things so far and it was more or less the same. I was wondering why so many are running without issues. I started thinking what I did around the time when closed beta came out. I had gone and bought my RJ45 cable and replaced it with CAT7 standard cable. Yesterday I bought another CAT7 cable to make sure mine was not broken in any way and the issue was the same.

Now I just borrowed an older compliant Cat 5 or & cable and voila… I did my first full flight of 1 hour without issues. I know it is too early to be excite but for me the it means a lot.

Please check if your cables are cat7? I am not an expert if it can even be an issue as they are supposed to be more reliable or is it just false flag?

@MasterYodakin, I’m using a Cat7 cable myself on a gigabit connection. I’ve had no connection issues whatsoever. As I described before, FS reacts very resolute to connection issues. For most people, Cat5 or Cat6 is completely sufficient. You might also try a Cat6A cable which is close to Cat7, but has better compatibility and is IEEE compliant.

Did you fly at the same daytime before and experienced a CTD? Maybe it’s your ISP messing around with your connection by throttling mechanisms or there are simply too many people online at the same time in your area. That’s a common issue I’ve experienced myself.

Regarding LAN cables, there are a couple of things that may cause issues with them. One is distance between your PC and router, but this depends on the standard you use. Cat7 for example doesn’t like distances greater than 20 meters. Any longer distance degrades its performance. Twisting is another thing where you need to be careful how you run the cable (corners, furniture, office chair, and such).

Anyhow, let us know if the Cat5 cable solved your issues in the long run.

@Zixxstar, as your CTDs are reproducible every 30 minutes after starting a flight, it’s likely you’re experiencing issues with FS2020 due to it not being able to handle multithreading correctly. It’s an issue in FS itself, mainly with newer generation hardware. Asobo is working on a patch for it, which is said to be released this month.

To stop FS from using all available CPU resources at once and thus prevent CTDs, you need to lower the amount of work the CPU has to do every second. That’s the reason for the 30FPS cap and why you need to bump down certain in-game settings, but that also didn’t help solve your problems so far. This is indeed not ideal and surely not what you paid for.

Did you try to set the performance priority to background services, which I posted yesterday?

What aircraft are you in when the CTDs happen? Airliners such as the A320, or did it happen no matter the type of aircraft? If you didn’t try the cockpit refresh rate tweak yet, do so with the steps described here: [FIXED] Random CTDs due to internet and hardware issues

Also the process affinity tweak helped others to finally be able to fly without CTDs. Steps are provided above in the first post under “Set FlightSimulator.exe Process Affinity”. You need to make sure to apply this tweak every time you run FS.

Have a look at the following reddit post about the windows pagefile, however I recommend leaving it on auto unless you got the same issue as described in the post: https://www.reddit.com/r/XboxGamePassPC/comments/iir8l3/microsoft_flight_simulator_2020_using_wrong_disk/g39je32/

It’s definitely not your hardware that’s causing trouble.

Yep. After a few short flights it again crashed. I don’t think its internet related. I have enough speed. And I do not live in apartment and fiberoptic cable comes to my house. I am using cat6 yes. Now only left to try to change the memory modules. GTA5 and PUBG onlines never had issues. I stream 4k on netflix and youtube.

And this is also that occurs sometimes. After i tcrashes, it shows me fail message on Store.

I also noticed a cumulative update of Windows was waiting. Can it have caused. This has become so ridiculous

1 Like