Flashing shadows

Good evening all. Has anyone experienced the issue of shadows flickering (see the video, right side)? It’s been occurring for quite a long time and after flying a beautiful sunset like this, I figured it was time to ask…

What setting will fix this? Thanks much!

Happens with or without addons in community folder.
No dev mode enabled.
Attached video of the flickering issue.
Always there during certain times of the day.
3700X, 3080, 32GB 3200, All SSD.
466.77 Driver but this was happening on previous ones as well.

MS Store version.
Happens since day one.

No matter what settings I choose this is always there.

Same flight, different sun location.

1 Like

same issue for me this shadow flickering was since sim update 2

I read somewhere that dx12 will fix this (dont quote me me on it though) some airports do the same thing with flickering textures at distance.

1 Like

Bumping. This issue is annoying the hell out of me

Anyone found somewhat of a solution to this?

I’m posting this because I haven’t found any threads with any helpful information at fixing this issue. When sunlight hits objects in the sim at a certain angle, I get horribly flickering shadows. Is there any way to fix this? It’s pretty distracting. I’ve tried what some people have mentioned by setting the shadows in cfg file to 4096 but it does nothing, it just resets to its default value of 2048 when starting the game, there’s actually no way to change the shadow size.

Here’s a video to show the flickering problem. Again, this happens in all planes.

This is a directx problem, there is no fix yet, directx12 might solve it in near future.

1 Like

I have the same issue. Has anyone found a solution or work around?

I have the same Problem. hopefully dx 12 can solve this issue

1 Like

It did not :frowning: Microsoft Flight Simulator 2022 05 15 18 52 53 01 - YouTube

Has anyone or is anyone still suffering the shadow or suncasting in internal ‘passenger’ view over wing/over engine against the internal plastic window fascia? when flying into the sun i get poor flickering on the panel, i assume is meant to be a moving shadow but is just a series of flickering greys/blacks.

Here is a video showing the issue
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/flickering-shadows-in-all-planes/368051?u=rdutta

I was able to make the issue a lot less prevalent by increasing shadow resolution to 8192 as described here 4K (crisp cockpit-)shadows now possible! - MSFS (2020) Tips and Tricks Forum - The AVSIM Community

If you have a gtx 1070 or better, the performance hit is very negligible.

1 Like

When i try to manually adjust the shadows in the config file, my logitech panels basically stop working. I already running quite a demanding setup, all logitech gear (yoke, 2 throttles, rudder, trim, radio, multi, switch, 9 fips (with more on the way), triple 4k using experimental views, 2 g1000 units with popout manager, wind sim, littlenav connect for moving map detail on another tablet… so…i get it… its already a lot to ask… but it’s also a beefy system. 14900k, 32gb ddr5 6400, strix 4090 oc edition.

Ive actually managed to get everything running really well. Made several fairly long flights without anything cutting out, even after a couple of hours, all the controls still work, all the fips still work, all panels are fine, g1000 units still working with all their buttons and controls operational.

When i set the shadows to anything above 2k default max, the switch and radio panels become intermittent and the multipanel fully locks up and stops working after the very first input you make… before you even move on the runway, let alone take off.

Is it just too much for the sim to process the shadows with everything else ive got connected? Or is the extra load revealing an instability in my otherwise rock stable 70mv undervolt on the cpu? Or something else?

Is this why Microsoft/ asobo don’t increase the max values in the official settings maybe?

If anyone else has a bunch of logitech/ saitek gear, can you tell me if changing the shadows in the config file causes you any issues?