Flight control sensitivity

For my X65F Hotas I had to do the sensitivity adjustments in the stick’s own control panel in windows. There I could set a linear ‘curve’, and not the awful exponential one that the sim creates when adjusting the sensitivity.

The exponential one will give tiny outputs, small outputs, bigger outputs and suddenly explode into max the harder one pulls.

Good point. Your controller may have its own software for adjustment. TM’s T.A.R.G.E.T. software allows for comprehensive tweaking of a variety of their controllers: https://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/target

Choice of controller makes a huge difference, too. I just upgraded from a HOTAS X to a HOTAS Warthog. What a difference!

It would be great if we had reasonably-priced force feedback controllers. Feedback would make a huge difference.

That linear curve will cut the total range of elevator deflection tho.

True that:)

EDIT: But as a workaround until further it will do. I never needed full deflection anyways, just nearly at landings. For acrobatic planes it may be differently.

A lot of this is down to final approach technique. You should be able to let go of the stick/yoke and throttle(s) on final, and speed would not change (this means knowing which RPM/manifold pressure/throttle setting maintains the correct final approach airspeed/AOA), and the airplane is trimmed as to stay on a 3 degree glideslope by itself. If you did nothing else, the airplane would land firmly on the threshold at final approach airspeed/AOA on a 3 degree descent. Then, all you need to do is smoothly reduce to idle approaching the threshold, make a small, smooth roundout into the flare, and you’ll have a smooth touchdown using very little elevator. Elevator sensitivity won’t be an issue because you’ll hardly need it.

To practice this, slew out to a long final (300’ AGL/NM will put you on a 3 degree glideslope, so 3000’ AGL at 10NM, for instance). Figure out which RPM/manifold pressure/throttle setting keeps you exactly at final approach airspeed/AOA, and trim so that you can let go of the stick/yoke and throttle. Practice initially with no wind. It’s fun, and it makes landings easy, no matter how sensitive the elevator. It’s also very useful if you have to take your hands away for a frequency change, to flip a chart page, write down missed approach instructions, etc. The airplane will stay put on glideslope and on speed all by itself.

Now practice with different aircraft with varying winds, weights, and configurations, memorizing the power and trim settings. You’ll be nailing perfect landings in no time!

2 Likes

I mean, yes knowing usual power settings For approach and being properly trimmed is important but this idea you’re describing of basically “set it and forget it” bears nothing to the reality of hand flying an approach, flare, and landing, particularly in a GA aircraft.

My control sensitivities were improved by calibrating and recalibrating outside the sim using windows joystick calibration. But still the issue of exponential curve setting is completely at odds with actual control surface deflection in reality.

itend to agree with the issue being about air pressure and or aircraft inertia still being too low as being the more major factors explaining the twitchiness many are reporting.

Since people may be having different peripherals they may not all be experiencing the exact same issue or from the same underlying cause but there are so many examples (and videos) that are showing something very different is going on here than people not having the a/c trimmed and set power properly.

2 Likes

True! But to me this is an important indicator of how serious Asobo is about delivering a true simulator. Refering to how they will react.

It’s worked for me for 40 years, in everything from the Baby Ace to the A-10. Of course, corrections will still need to be made (especially in gusty conditions), but if the power is set and the elevator trimmed, these will require minor control surface deflections and power changes. And when those small elevator corrections are being made in the low-sensitivity near-horizontal portion of an exponential response curve, the potential for a PIO is greatly reduced. It’s a bit trickier when landing a taildragger with a crosswind, but the same technique works right up to the roundout. Having said that, any desktop simulator is going to be a poor substitute for a real airplane when landing.

What would be great would be controller profiles that mimic the response of the real airplane!

3 Likes

Another minor aspect contributing to this problem might be drag. Speed does not bleed fast enough.

This is also noticeable when slowing down for approach. On the other hand on ground and on initial climb it’s hard to gain speed / height. On some fields I nearly run out of runway before vr. Some weird things going on still.

3 Likes

Is it just me, or the sensitivity menu is bugged after latest patch? (Steam version here) thanks.

2 Likes

Yes, the development team is aware and was just added to the official known issues list at the top of the page. Here is a link for more info.

1 Like

This can be done with FSUIPC7. External program that takes control of the controllers. Extremely useful for jumpy controllers like mine and for setting different profiles for different aircraft.

Cheers,

Good job! Now it’d be great if ASOBO could also acknowledge the general sensitivity issue.

Honstly, put someone of ASOBO who got their PPL in front of the sim with a joystick and ask them if you need so little input on a real plane on landing.
It still result in too much reaction by the aircraft.

1 Like

It is more difficult with the default linear controller response, but if the airplane is stabilized, fully trimmed, on speed on final approach, a smooth landing without a PIO is not a problem. It only requires a power reduction, and a smooth roundout and flare. It’s all down to trim, and knowing which power setting maintains the required final approach speed. Of course, winds, density altitude, controllers, and aircraft can make a difference, but the principle remains the same.

Now is this issue tied to specific controllers ? At least in my case Saitek 52 Pro, specially when flying low speeds or when about to land, attitude changes are so agressive (with minimum elevator input) that seems like a rc plane.
Tried different sensitivity/null zone configurations, but didn’t work.
It would be nice to have a list of controllers that works fine and the ones that don’t.

1 Like

I tryed 2 different joystick and a yoke ,at about 25% of the joystick movement the plane start rolling ,at about 60% it goes 100%,so it is not flyable but with the keyboard on the tip of my fingers.Please fix this.

1 Like

Same here. I think it’s a general problem, but most people have lowered their sens to <50% so it’s acceptable. But it does not change that there is a problem. Because normally, a linear curve is what depicts reality.

As speculated, it seems like the control surfaces do not account for dynamic pressure correctly.

1 Like

same… thus… another new ‘feature’ :rofl:

I sure picked a bad time to switch over to the Steam version and setup my joystick again…

1 Like

They have. Though not directly to you or this thread.