Flight control surfaces way too sensitive

For a linear response, there’s nothing to fix. If you have your controller response curve linear, then linear output is what you’ll get. Linear is linear, and no software update is going to change that. Real aircraft generally do not have a linear response.

Exponential curves give you smaller control surface deflections when the surfaces are near center. And if the elevator is trimmed, you will not get excessive sensitivity and the resulting PIOs. You’ll be operating in the near-horizontal section of the response curve.

1 Like

I just want to have the most realistic control possible. The virtual yoke should do what I do on my joystick and the plane should feel realistic. It just doesn’t do that right now and that’s what you should expect from a $120 SIMULATOR.
Take a look at videos of pilots landing a plane. If I do the same input on the simulator, my plane will fly somewhere but not to the runway. No matter which curve I choose.
If it is ok for you as it is now, I am happy for you but for me and many others it is not. It just doesn’t feel right no matter what you set up. I will test xpalne tonight and compare the controls with the FS.

1 Like

A controller yoke with +/-45deg turn is going to be ‘twitchier’ when mapped to a plane’s yoke with +/- 90deg turn. So you have to either live with the twitchiness or decrease the sensitivity curve so that your ordinary operating range maps less sharply.

You can make the yoke linear if you line - I find it works better with about -35, which is nonlinear. Hint (suggested by Squirrel, on YouTube): Set about 4% or so dead space. That helps a lot with the twitchiness with whatever sensitivity profile you set.

Okay Guys,
Today I compared the control between FS2020 and XPlane and “WOW” it is a big difference.
I made a short VIDEO to compare but you have to feel the difference yourself to understand what I mean.
In both simulations the curve is linear and all help is disabled.
In XPlane the plane feels heavy and realistic. You can really feel how the wings go through the air. Small movements of the joystick make the plane move in a very realistic way.
With FS2020 it feels as if you are flying a model airplane. The slightest movement will immediately cause an enormous change of direction.
Trimming also works much smoother in XPlane. All in all, as I wrote in the beginning, the FS2020 does not feel right. It feels more like a game than a simulation.
Now that I’ve flown XPlane again, this difference alone makes FS2020 almost unplayable for me.
Sorry but I hope this will be fixed soon.

9 Likes

You are absolutly right sekmann, I hope it will be fixed soon, it is not fun to fly at all

2 Likes

Use Joystick Curves and all your troubles are over.

https://www.xedocproject.com/joystickcurves.html

2 Likes

For FSUIPC users:

Peter and John Dowson have made available a beta version of FSUIPC for MSFS 2020. By editing the ini file (using notepad) it is possible to reduce the overall sensitivity of any flight control (this is different from adjusting the control slopes). Please scroll down to Thomas Richter’s post explaining how to do this.

https://forum.simflight.com/topic/90313-fsuipc7-beta-suggestions/

2 Likes

Thank you very much. I will give it a try.

Personally, I find the pitch sensitivity correct which may disappoint some. But in the real 172, the pitch is very firm at cruise speeds and its almost like it doesn’t even move at all yet it still affects the pitch. Its more about how much force you apply rather than how far it moves. A yoke/joystick isn’t like this at all. Its no where near as stiff as the real thing, and all it has to go by is how far it moves. So while in real life the 0.5-1mm movements are easier to make precisely, you have a difficult time doing the same on a desktop yoke/joystick. You also completely lose out on the dynamic firmness. The pitch is nice and soft at slow flight, and like everything else it has less authority which is helpful when avoiding over-controlling during the flare.

The roll on the other hand, is much too sensitive. The 172s roll is much less firm than its pitch and you move it a lot more than the pitch during general maneuvers. Looking at the yoke in the virtual cockpit, it barely moves at all and yet the plane banks as if you put 5-10 degrees of additional roll into the yoke. I think the aileron effectiveness should be decreased to give a more authentic feel.

The A2A 172/182 feels okay, Xplanes 172 feels okay. They’re not absolutely perfect but its definitely acceptable.

Thats my 2¢

Source: 62 hours in a 172SP.

EDIT: Forgot about the rudder. I also find the rudder to be kind of an interesting case. It feels off, but I cant put my finger on what exactly is wrong. I think it may just be too effective but I’m not sure. Either way staying on centerline is difficult to achieve without visceral thrashing left and right even at slow speeds. I’m not even sure you would have enough authority to thrash the nose around like that at 30kts but I certainly haven’t and don’t want to try in real life. I have made some changes to the flight_model.cfg of my aircraft and by dropping it down by about 2/3rds, I feel like the takeoff experience is more authentic, while at the same time I don’t have enough authority during general flight which wasn’t an issue before my tweaks. That’s why I can’t put my finger on what exactly is wrong. My guess is that its becoming too effective too early, but don’t quote me on that.

And before you attack me about calibration, yes my pedals are at -40%.

1 Like

You are absolutely correct about the sensitivity of the yoke in FS2020. It is WAY off! I’m trying to get current with my pilot license again so I can take my family on trips, but using this sim to practice just doesn’t work. It’s not a sim at all, it’s just a way for MS to show off their global world view (like Google Earth).

The main problem is the way they designed the sensitivity to work. It’s fine if you are perfectly trimmed, but if the pitch is out-of-trim, the thing becomes unplayable. The slightest change to the yoke results in a huge change to the aircraft pitch.

There should be 2 adjustments. They can keep the curves that they have now (but don’t call it Sensitivity as a percentage), but they should add a real Sensitivity as a percentage that lowers (or raises) the entire curve.

Better yet, would be full bezier curves.

5 Likes

I’ve flown GA aircraft in real life and can tell you Asobo have NOT got it right yet, especially the ground handling with the rudder. There are just not enough curve and sensitivity adjustment options in FS2020 to bring it close to real life or to the same standard as X Plane 11.

2 Likes

Works fine for me!

Thank you! This works great!

he’s talking about basic controls NOT aircraft performance and imho the same does apply. A sim is a sim whether a plane OR car.

Let it go, he just doesn’t get it. He has spent hundreds or even thousands of dollars for his setup and now he is satisfied with this totally unrealistic control and even defends it and is of the opinion that ASOBO should leave it as it is instead of making it better. I mean with a gamepad I understand that you have to make some compromises in sensitivity but not with such expensive hardware where you have to set the sensitivity to -40% or even lower. To each his own

2 Likes

I installed the latest update, 3 I think, and ran FS2020 and XP11 using the KingAir in both from the same airport. Marked difference in the control of the aircraft. XP-11 version of the KingAir was the best response and control. FS2020 KingAir was all over the sky if you were not careful. I spent more time trying to control the aircraft in FS2020 than flying it. So as someone stated earlier in this thread, I will go back to XP-11 and fly.

Utterly unplayable. I’ve been using a trusty Logitch Attack3 joystick for years on MSFS X. No problem. Just got a nice new machine and spent the money on FS 2020. Waste of time. Completely unplayable.

As it happens, I’m also a private pilot. I’ve flown C152, C172 and various PA28s.

I’m at a loss to see how the developers of this new game have got this so completely wrong!

All you have to do is map the full range of joystick in a given axis to the full range of the matching control surface deflection. In a real light aircraft the control surfaces are normally controlled by mechanical cables from the yoke to the surface. The movement is therefore linear. Therefore if you make 100% full forward joystick eqaute to 100% full elevator deflection to pitch down, and 100% full back joystick equate to 100% full elevator deflection to pitch up you can’t go far wrong. It works with FSX so it should work with FS2020.

Once you’ve mapped the control surfaces to a joystick in that way, any other odd behaviour is down to the game modelling the flight dynamics incorrectly.

Light aircraft DO NOT violently pitch one way or the other once you cross a random amount of deflection of a control surface.

Bascially, I cannot play FS2020. AT ALL.

1 Like

They basically need to copy the XP11 flight model 1:1 and be done with it to make this sim usable for real pilots.

1 Like