Flight Hours must be counted despite CTDs

The logbook has to count the Flight Hours in Realtime.
Trying to get the 1000 hours flight hours achievement is nearly Impossible If every 2nd flight Crashes to Desktop and you loose Like 8 hours plus.
Many customers have lost a huge amount of logbook
flighthours because of Updates…
Please fix the logbook

My guess is that the current system involves your local client app sending an update to the servers at the end of each flight. To do what you want would mean an update to the server every minute or so, which would increase server traffic by a factor of probably well over 100x. That would increase the costs, which I’m guessing you don’t want passed on to the customer.

If i’m building a fence for a farmer who will pay me after finishing the fence

and a tornado forces me to stop with only 20 feet of fence left

Am i finished building the fence? Should i be paid even though i couldn’t complete the 20 feet because of the tornado, something totally out of my control?

Flights only get logged when you shut the engine down (in a perfect world). So if i crashed 1 mile out from an 8 hour flight, how is the game gonna know my total time if i never got a chance to shut the engines down. I’d want to milk those extra 5-10 minutes for my logbook if it were me.

The question you’re really asking is: should a CTD be the same as a properly completed flight?

1 Like

You get a logbook entry when you quit out to the menue while flying. You don’t have to land and shut down the engines.

But i have taken my work hours while building the fence.
I have to be paid for that. (The tornado is the farmers problem not the workers)

the terms were you were to be paid after finishing the fence. As far as the farmer is concerned, you aint finished until that 20’ is done. For all MSFS cares about, you did not complete that flight whether it was out of your hands or not so why should it award hours it can’t reasonably confirm. It sounds like an easier resolution than it likely is…

If you just want to take the money and run after the tornado, the farmer is okay with that too, he’ll just pay you less money. But in terms of flight simming, that’s the equivalent of you pressing escape and returning to the menu and you’ll get whatever hours you got at that point because you chose to go back to the main menu.

My advice: grab Volanta or some other flight tracking app if you’re not already and use that as your logbook. the in-game logbook, as you are finding out, is notoriously unreliable. I have dozens and dozens of verifiable, completed flights through my VA and APL and yet the in-game logbook is an absolute trainwreck.

1 Like

Thank God …Tornadoes (in the real world) do not come so often like CTDs in msfs…
And i am on Xbox, i am not able to use non marketplace Apps. I am trying to get that 1000h flight hours achievement. 1000 h have to be reached in the logbook.

That’s absolutely not a fundamental requirement. The log book could easily cache your position locally at regular short intervals but only upload it to the cloud if you have either exited the program or (perhaps after a user prompt showing the decoded data first) on program restart after a CTD.

1 Like

Almost like the file recovery system in MS Word or Excel. It popups automatically if a file wasn’t saved in a previous session.

2 Likes

In real life you log time. Should you fly for 5 hours and crash (assuming you are still alive after), you still log the 5 hours. It is time that you operated the aircraft.

Time up the the CTD should be logged irrespective. What should not be added is the landing count. That should stay 0.

Microsoft can easily implement this by creating a blank logbook entry and assign a GUID to it. It then creates an encrypted JSON or XML file with the GUID in the name. When the flight is completed it populates the time and details into the empty logbook entry matching the GUID. It then deletes the file.

If the Sim crashed because of a CTD, the sim must detect the encrypted JSON / XML file when the sim is relaunched. This will then find the blank logbook entry with the same GUID stored in the file. It then recalculate the time flown, updates the blank logbook entry and deletes the JSON / XML file because it has been dealt with.

Why an encrypted file? So that users can’t edit it before relaunching the sim.

1 Like

Exactly, yes!

1 Like

This is why I use Little Navmap to log all my flights, however, that solution doesn’t solve the internal achievement milestones.

Recently I’ve had several CTDs after landing but LNM still captured the flight even though it was not captured by the sim. If I get a CTD during flight I do still have to edit the log to put in the end time and arrival airport.

Not sure if the MSFS 2020 log will carry forward to 2024 which is another reason I prefer having an external log.

1 Like

Adding file recovery or even just a locally cached log adds complexity to a program already prone to crashes. Wouldn’t it be better to concentrate on just fixing the crashes?

Agree. Fixing the root cause of CTDs is better.

However, a File Recovery system is not a bad feature to have. MS Office has it. Why can’t MSFS? It would take 1 developer 2 weeks to implement this tops.

I feel for the tubeliner pilots that lost many hours. It must be frustrating.

1 Like

Great post thank you! I have ~650 hours logged, but in the last 4 months I have only been able to log about 20 hours due to constant CTDs on flights > 20 minutes. Like most things that makes sense to fix and adversely affect the users, it will not be addressed. CTDs have been an issue for this sim since day one. I will definitely wait at least 6 months before getting FS2024, after reading the reviews and also evaluating how responsive the developer is to issues. I have all but given up on this sim since Feb 2023.

1 Like