Flight simulator economy game (campaign mode)

Ever heard of a flight sim eco game/app?

A flight sim eco (“flight simulator economy”) game/app, which is a fun way to add immersion and meaning to flight simulators like Flight Simulator 2020. It’s like a campaign mode, but it’s a separate gamified app that runs alongside a flight simulator and connects via a plugin. Notable apps in this genre are: OnAir, Air Hauler 2, and FSEconomy.

This genre has actually been around for years (maybe 10+ years). But, FSEconomy is extremely archaic now, Air Hauler 2 has an overly complex interface (some say unfinished), and OnAir has a poorly designed server architecture (slow page loads, downtime, etc).

I’ve been using OnAir for a few months and was totally addicted, but I found their customer support a little bit lacking, the screens very slow to load, and the 3 hours of weekly downtime was driving me nuts (they also banned me on Discord for criticising them on this issue). It’s because they insist on using a slow monolithic TCP/IP server instead of speedy modern serverless pub/sub… their view on architecture is surprisingly old fashioned.

So, I decided to fund development of a competitor app and we’re now in the user experience (UX) design stage. If you’re interested in sharing your thoughts about how we should go about this, here’s a few UX research questions: Explore Typeform | Create your own surveys, quizzes, forms

How so? I have been using FSE for 10+ years and do not find it “archaic” at all.

1 Like

That’s why you don’t find it archaic. You’re used to it. To any new users, the process of learning and using FSE is very outdated and the newer programs are much more user friendly.

4 Likes

First two questions in a survey shouldn’t be your ID and email …

1 Like

First two questions in a survey shouldn’t be your ID and email …

@ClayishCoast9 Ok, that’s a good point. I’ve updated the form to ask permission first (the question is at the end). How’s that?

1 Like

Thanks - that makes it much better!

Good luck!

1 Like

Check out NeoFly. It’s under active development and constantly expanded with new features.

2 Likes

You also need to take a long look at FSPassengers (no longer in dev, FSX / FS9 / Xplane only). The UI is terrible but the underlying mechanics and attention to detail is phenomenal.

2 Likes

I second neofly, I’ve been doing an “around the US” flight, starting from the nearest airport to where I live in GA. I’ve flow across to CA, up the coastline, and along the northern border of the US, and am now in Maine. I’m just about to get my class C aircraft checkride as soon as I buy my TBM 930 (I’m just one mission away from affording it)

1 Like

I’m hearing so much about NeoFly! That’s great that there is a viable competitor to OnAir. I’ll definitely try it out extensively.

OnAir seems to be the most popular in terms of number of users… I wonder why? According to my survey so far, OnAir is rated 3.8 out of 5 stars (13 responses), whereas NeoFly is rated 4.47 out of 5 (though only 6 responses so far). Data as of 25th Nov 2020.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.