Flight Velocity slow trim wheel solved!

Just in case you were experiencing the same problem as I was having: my FlightVelocity trim wheel was hardly usable with FS2020 because it responded too slow: turning the wheel had very little effect.

The FV trim wheel uses ‘joystick’ button up/down events (so it’s not an axis) which can be assigned to the Elevator trim up/down events in FS2020. When you touch the wheel, these button events are fired in rapid succession after each other, but apparently not rapid enough!

To solve this problem, you need to install FSUIPC 7 (currently free in beta while the FS2020 SDK is being worked on, but definitely worth buying when it gets fully released). Now, the standard FSUIPC user interface does not allow you to solve the problem directly however, since you can assign a FS2020 event to the trim wheel events/buttons, but you cannot add key/event repeats. What you need to do is edit the FSUIPC7.ini file and add the repeats manually.

So after downloading FSUIPC 7, run the FSUIPC7.exe as administrator (right-click, ‘Run as administrator’). An icon is added to the Windows tray at the bottom right. You can either click that and select ‘Show’ or press Alt+F to display the FSUIPC user interface. In the user interface, select ‘Assignments’ from the menu and select ‘Buttons & Switches’.

Roll the FV wheel down (for elevator trim up). You should see some information at the top of the dialog referencing the Button 0 (remember, the FV sends button presses when you roll the wheel). Now select the button at the right ‘Select for FS control’. Then underneath that, press the box titled ‘Control sent when button pressed’ and select the event ‘Elev Trim Up’. To save you lots of scrolling, you can press ‘e’ on the keyboard so that it jumps directly to the first action starting with ‘E’. Repeat the same for ‘Control sent when button released’.

Now that elevator trim up is done, roll the FV wheel up (you should see Button 1 becoming active) and repeat the same steps, but now select ‘Elev Trim Down’ for the two events.

Press OK and select Exit from the File menu. Now in the directory you have downloaded FSUIPC7 to, you should find a file called FSUIPC7.ini. Double-click that and open it with Notepad. Scroll to the section named [Buttons]. You should see 4 entries there, like:

1=RD,0,C65615,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_UP}-
2=UD,0,C65615,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_UP}-
3=RD,1,C65607,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_DN}-
4=UD,1,C65607,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_DN}-

The idea now is to repeat the RD entries 1 and 3 such that on a ‘button’ down event from the trim wheel, a number of trim commands are sent to FS2020. I use 5 entries, but adjust to taste. You need to change the numbering so you cannot just copy the lines. Mine looks like:

2=RD,0,C65615,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_UP}-
3=RD,0,C65615,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_UP}-
4=RD,0,C65615,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_UP}-
5=RD,0,C65615,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_UP}-
20=UD,0,C65615,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_UP}-
31=RD,1,C65607,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_DN}-
32=RD,1,C65607,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_DN}-
33=RD,1,C65607,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_DN}-
34=RD,1,C65607,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_DN}-
35=RD,1,C65607,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_DN}-
40=UD,1,C65607,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_DN}-

So you only have to repeat the RD actions. I am not allowed to upload an .ini file here, so you have to do some manual editing. I hope this information helps someone here!

3 Likes

Thank you, will give this a try. FV didn’t assist when I asked a couple of months ago, I hope they will develop a plugin in the future. Cheers.

Just wanted to provide an update, followed the steps and it works !!! Thank you again for sharing, now I can use the trim wheel.

One thing to note, FSUIPC spitted out entries starting with PD instead of RD in the .ini file for me, I had to change manually to RD.

1 Like

Hello, I’d just want to add that the information in this top also worked for me. Thanks a lot for sharing.

EDIT: in my original post I mentioned I had copied and pasted the extract of the configuration file of the original post. This should not be done as explained by John below.

You shouldn’t need to run FSUIPC7 as administrator, unless you installed it in a windows protected folder (e.g. Program Files).

That’s because you didn’t select the ‘repeat’ checkbox when you assigned the button press. ‘P’ is a single press and ‘R’ a repeat (‘U’ is for a release).

Be careful doing this! For most people the entries WILL be different, as the joystick may have been assigned a different letter (its the ‘D’ joystick in this post) and you may want to assign to buttons numbers other than 0 and 1.
Better to create the assignment in the FSUPC7 UI as described, then look for the ELEV_TRIM_UP/DOWN annotation on the assignment to determine which lines to duplicate.

John

Thank you for the clarification John, and pardon my ignorance since I am not familiar with FSUIPC as a past X-plane exclusive user.

Thanks a lot John for the clarifications, much appreciated.

I was lucky as my ini file had also D for the joystick.

Have a great day

Thank you so much for this fix. I really wanted a trim wheel and the flight velocity is the only option available right now. Works great with FSUIPC, though I didn’t realize that it is no longer in beta- meaning you have to buy it. I am using each line 10 times, and not 5 as 5 was a bit too slow for my taste.

Quick question- is it possible to have FSUIPC running all the time? I set it up to start with windows, but it doesn’t work unless I restart it when I run the sim.

It should be. Make sure that you are using the latest version (7.0.1), and turn-off the ‘Exit with FS’ option. You shouldn’t need to restart it. If you are having issues, please raise a support request over on the FSUIPC forums on simflight and I’ll take a look.

I’m also not sure why the FSUIPC added fast inc/dec controls (and offsets) aren’t working for this. I will investigate.

Thank you so much for giving me (and many others!) a useable trim function
DC

Any updates on this?

Do you mean the fast in/dec controls? Thats next on my list, so in the next few days.

I must not be doing something right. This isn’t working for me. I started out with 5 repeats, increased that to 8 and then doubled it to 16. I haven’t seen any difference in the sensitivity of the trim wheel. Here is what I have with 16 repeats.

[Buttons]
PollInterval=25
ButtonRepeat=20,10
2=RD,0,C65615,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_UP}-
3=RD,0,C65615,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_UP}-
4=RD,0,C65615,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_UP}-
5=RD,0,C65615,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_UP}-
6=RD,0,C65615,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_UP}-
7=RD,0,C65615,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_UP}-
8=RD,0,C65615,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_UP}-
9=RD,0,C65615,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_UP}-
10=RD,0,C65615,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_UP}-
11=RD,0,C65615,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_UP}-
12=RD,0,C65615,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_UP}-
13=RD,0,C65615,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_UP}-
14=RD,0,C65615,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_UP}-
15=RD,0,C65615,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_UP}-
16=RD,0,C65615,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_UP}-
20=UD,0,C65615,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_UP}-
31=RD,1,C65607,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_DN}-
32=RD,1,C65607,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_DN}-
33=RD,1,C65607,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_DN}-
34=RD,1,C65607,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_DN}-
35=RD,1,C65607,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_DN}-
36=RD,1,C65607,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_DN}-
37=RD,1,C65607,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_DN}-
38=RD,1,C65607,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_DN}-
39=RD,1,C65607,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_DN}-
40=RD,1,C65607,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_DN}-
41=RD,1,C65607,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_DN}-
42=RD,1,C65607,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_DN}-
43=RD,1,C65607,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_DN}-
44=RD,1,C65607,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_DN}-
45=RD,1,C65607,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_DN}-
46=RD,1,C65607,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_DN}-
50=UD,1,C65607,0 -{ELEV_TRIM_DN}-

Finally found time to look into this. For faster trim control, you should really be using offset 0x0BC0 as described in this post: https://forum.simflight.com/topic/90988-installing-and-registering-fsuipc7-and-widefs7/
I tested in the C208 and this works as expected, although I found an increment/decrement of around 500 to work well for me.
Note that this offset is currently (incorrectly) documented as not working for write access via the sim variable (ELEVETOR TRIM PCT), but it is working but using the key event ELEVATOR_TRIM_SET.
I will update this.

If anyone has any further issues when trying this, please use the FSUIPC7 support forum, and please specify the aircraft that you are using.

John / FSUIPC

1 Like

After restarting my computer and the sim and FSUIPC7 it did start working. It was a little too sensitive. I will try taking some of the lines out. Another thing happened after the update. For some reason up and down trim reversed in the sim options. Seemed very strange.

You should try the recommended way instead - by using offset 0x0BC0 as indicated in my previous post.

Thank you for taking the time to investigate. I will try this way instead.

Hi, from my opinion, trim reacts too slowly either up and down and this is for all airplane. Is there anything we can do for changing this situation? Thanks for reading and replying to me.

If using FSUIPC7, you can use offset 0x0BC0 as described in the link provided in an earlier post on this topic.
John

Thank you FloweryParrot50,
great advice. I have already decided to send the trim wheel back, but now I keep it.
Bruno