FlightSimulator.exe - Application Error (0x80000003) - A breakpoint has been reached

While this may be helpful, the reality for many of us this breakpoint exception error just started up with the recent SU9. I previously did flights to Dubai from the states without any issues. Now anything over 9 hours gives me this breakpoint exception error. I was disappointed to watch their dev Q&A stream where they discussed that they are not seeing the same issues. Makes me wonder if they’re truly doing long hauls…. I can handle 6, 7, or 8 hour flights. Beyond that is when this error pops up.

1 Like

Release software, Compiled in Debug Mode comes to immediate mind !!!

Same… (sorry for the hungarian error message)
Yes, long haul, SCEL-EDDF.
I reinstalled MSFS a week ago, I used the latest Headwind A330neo.
I checked the box “The Automatically manage paging file size for all drives”. It does not solve the problem for me.

My specs:
Asus Strix Z490-F (0607 BIOS)
Intel Core i7-10700k (without oc)
Crucial Ballistix 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz
1TB SSD Crucial P1 2280 M2 (Boot and MSFS)
Palit Geforce RTX 3070 GamingPro OC 8GB

1 Like

I didn’t do a long haul, Vancouver to LA with the Fenix A320, had the error on approch to LA with the default scenery. Never touched the page file and always been system managed.

ASUS ROG Maximus Z690 Apex
i7-12700k
G.SKILL Trident Z5 Series 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 RAM
EVGA GeForce RTX 3090*

If it helps anyone… maybe it is machine specific (donno). I was having this issue on long hauls. I resolved it by setting my page file as following:

• I have 24Gb memory
  • Set custom page file size
    • min size: 1.5 times 24
    • max size: 4 times 24
  • Make sure you have enough room in your C drive for the allocated page size. The issue is MSFS fills up C drive when caching etc. So give enough room. Me personally have 100GB minimum free space in C so I dont run out.

Above setup, I was able to perform multiple long hauls with extensive payware addons without issues.

Hope this helps someone.

Just had this now for the first time at buttonville in Canada whilst using drone

Anyone got this error with beta 10? They seem to have addressed memory issues within their change log.

1 Like

Yes, just got it now. Not sure what its related to, as I wanted to see if I get this issue: AIG Live Traffic and Traffic Controller -- CTDs Due to Legacy File Change in SU10! - #54 by PILOTOWAWAWA

but instead I got a CTD with beta 10:

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.27.9.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 1.27.9.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0x80000003
Fault offset: 0x0000000001d9cf52
Faulting process id: 0xe68
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8942612a075a7
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.27.9.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.27.9.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: c19b1500-e9b1-4d4c-a914-0a32dd21ea99
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.27.9.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

Oh i got the same with AIG, try removing AIG completely and see if it resolves the issue since we know AIG is just compatible with sim update 10 for now.

What’s the point anymore? I have spent more time troubleshooting a faulty product than playing it since it came out. I give up, move on to something else, come back a month later to find another issue that CTD. I had such high hopes, but at least X-Plane didn’t crash on me all the time. The beautiful graphics cannot be worth all this mess. I’m sorely disappointed. :frowning: I don’t mean to be the guy who sulks but I am truly bummed about this game, especially considering the enormous amount of money I put into building the ultimate gaming machine specifically for this game. I hope someday they can get it right.

Yea, the AIG models were the issue.

Only using the IVAO models for now as it’s working ok.

Eh? I never had that many problems, at all. 3rd party stuff breaks sometimes, depending on the changes to the sim, but other than Carenado, most developers are quick to patch their things.

I figured that could be the case, which is why I removed every single bit of 3rd party content. It’s a ■■■■-shoot with this product. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn’t.

So glad I found this post - AIG was certainly causing my crashes. Sim is rock solid without AIG now. Going to use IVAO models for now I guess. Was this strictly a SU10 beta issue? I was having crashing in SU9 with AIG as well, the same breakpoint exception.

I had no issues with the aig models and su9. Soon as I installed su10beta, ctd every time it tries to load the models.

Very weird, well I hope whatever caused that crash is unrelated and patched out now. Im quite enjoying the SU10 beta.

So not sure if you all are aware but a workaround (possible solution) has been suggested within the original CTD thread and seems to be working for AIG issue.

Now back to “Breakpoint” issue, for weeks I have been trying to complete a long haul from VIDP to KBOS and just cannot giving me the breakpoint application error causing a CTD. Happy to report, sim update 10 actually solved this issue for me! Its a 13 hour flight and I am about 4 hours to destination and has been a smooth ride.

I’ve just had this error too with 787 and a flight approaching 4 hours. What I recognized when running hw montor it showed that my GPU (2070 Super) didn’t get used at all. The clocks weren’t even approaching maximum. When I usually run the game all the clocks are max as you would expect.

Just had this error this morning 3 hrs into a 3.5hr flight!. The original post solution for is already set as ‘automatic’ on my system. SU9. This was a FS crash without being a CTD. FS just became unresponsive, sound still playing, but program not doing anything. (0% CPU). No CTD, no event log, but in Event Viewer->Windows Logs->System it says -

‘Application Popup’ (which didn’t show)
Application popup: FlightSimulator.exe - Application Error : The exception Breakpoint
A breakpoint has been reached.

• (0x80000003) occurred in the application at location 0x00007FF8D6B490F2.*

Click on OK to terminate the program

Very annoying. Not using AIG so nothing to do with that for me.

What is a Breakpoint doing in the Release version ??

Someone debugging a Null Pointer situation, and set a Breakpoint , or created an incomplete Exception error hander, that somehow got into the release version . ?