Flightspots new functionality

Hey all, I pushed an update to Flightspots.co the other day with some heavily requested features :slight_smile:

You can now find the 5 nearest landing zones for a location by clicking the airport icon on the right hand side when viewing a spot. The database contains just over 55,000 airports, and you can click on an airport to get more information. You can also click the cloud symbol to view live weather data for any location.

You can now create collections of spots, which makes it easier to plan trips, share collections with fellow pilots, or let people follow along on your world tour. For example, If you’re planning a trip across the magnificent African continent, you can create a collection of all the best locations to visit on your cross continent flight. You can create a collection with places you’re planning to visit, or share a collection of amazing ground patterns, like this one,

As a bonus, you can also share your profile, or click on a users name to see all of their uploaded spots and collections.

The search and filter functions have also been refined to make it easier to find cool locations.

I’ve pushed this on desktop first, and if nothing is majorly broken, I will push it to mobile browsers as well. So please ping me if you find anything broken :wink:

Keep sending me ideas and feature requests, and I’ll continue to implement them. :heart:

3 Likes

I do like the website, but it has a very annoying popup, asking me to sign up for email alerts (which I DID), but the popups will not stop!

2 Likes

Fixed it! Thanks for pointing that out, that did get pretty annoying pretty fast. :+1:

1 Like

@LivingBird26348
I resume this old topic to ask if could be possible to have a map of the world with the spots (clickable) present in the db.
I am new, I found a spot to visit and I want to know if there is others spots nearby.
thanks

@Flavio14815

That’s a great idea. I was looking at it a while back, but google is very stingy with their geo loc API so it quickly becomes very very expensive. But thanks for reminding me about this, I will have a look again, maybe I can find a solution that is more cost effective now.

1 Like

Ah ok I thought it could be done for free.
Another very useful solution could be to have a list with all the data so that you can view them by coordinates or by country or … (excel sheet type)
and to be able to mark the favorite ones, the ones already visited, the double ones …
I also tried to create a “to do” folder and put some images inside but then the images can no longer be removed or moved to another i.e. “already visited” folder , but you can only delete the entire folder.
These are just my suggestions to improve the usability of the excellent work you are doing.
ciao
Flavio

It’s surprising how quickly costs start to add up running a web app :slight_smile: Since it’s all coming out of my pocket I try to keep costs to a minimum, but I’ll see what I can come up with. It would be a great function to have.

Oh, not being able to remove from a collection is a good catch. That should not be the case, I’ll need to revisit that. thanks.

In v.1 there was a function to mark visited spots, but it wasn’t used much so I cut it for v.2. But I agree, there should be a better system for all this, so I’ll add it back to my to do list for sure. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the suggestions! great stuff!

@Flavio14815

Hey, @Flavio14815

Quick update on this, you can now remove a spot from a collection and add it to a “visited” collection if you want. You can also mark a location as visited inside a collection if you don’t want to deal with separate collections to keep track of your travels. Let me know what you think!

I will continue building on this when time allows.

Great, thanks.