Floatplanes support

Good idea. It would be great in island areas.

100% It’s sad how lacking float planes are in this sim.
What we really need is the DHC-2 beaver. it’s been in
just about every other sim available. Short of that it can’t
be that hard to let us add floats as an option to the
appropriate default included aircraft. 3rd party. ANYBODY!
Pretty Please

2 Likes

Milviz is bringing the Beaver:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?21073-Milviz-Announces-DHC-2-For-MSFS

4 Likes

Great news! I’m not familiar with Milviz. Is there stuff any good? Thank you!

I think so; I have their Cessna 310R Redux and DHC-2 Beaver (with float kit too) for P3D and they’re really nice. Not A2A nice, but real nice. :small_airplane: :smiley_cat:

3 Likes

Hi, could you make the wake in the water with a seaplane (now we only have icon 5) when it lands?

Thank you.

Why has this topic died down? It’d be really cool to have properly functioning float planes!

1 Like

Yes all good points - but from a few flights with the Icon A5 some things do actually happen - sort of.
‘Park brake’ (which I have as an assigned stick button) does work as an anchor. Maybe only if you assign something ? Wind also does seem to affect but perhaps not sufficiently. We can beach and then use SHIFT+P to shove off just like pushback on land. (I prefer that method to using Pushback Guy anyway and avoid him at parking spaces). We can put gear down in water and approach a ramp but - like other versions and sims - the transition doesn’t work - jumps or gets stuck & needs a swift slew/unslew to happen.
So it is partly sort of OK but yes, improvements needed (although since it has never been hacked with other sims I doubt if a water-land-water transition can be coded).

Even just floats for some existing planes.

1 Like

Anything is possible. But sometimes it’s a matter of how much time and money you want to put in it. :wink:

1 Like

Well, the Marketplace doesn’t have them, but there are two seaplanes already available from 3rd parties:

-Black Box Simulations Cessna Bird Dog
-AT Simulations Michel Colomban Cri Cri.

1 Like

You can’t get much more in an aeroplane than this (my painting of one). A Beriev Be 12P-200. Its an amphibian, water-bomber, sea rescue, twin turboprop, gull winged taildragger. I have one on FS9 and it is a brilliant thing (needs reverse thrust on land rather than brakes unless gentle braking only for obvious reasons.)

What about the float version version of the XCub? That would be great :slight_smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rLHlD5Drkw

Interesting development !
I downloaded the excellent Grravel cub-type thang (Flightsim.to etc) and its huge balloon tyres make it float - if you land gently in 3 point attitude - them and the air in the stab I guess. But not only can it be sailed about but it also does water/land transitions and vice-versa without any problems. Hmmm.

Title says it. Landing a seaplane without a visual wake is boring.

1 Like

Particle effects like smoke and wakes will be implemented at a future date. Last I heard with DX12

5 Likes

Water physics really should be improved. Interaction with water, realistic water operations like taxing, take-off, landings, wave interaction and realistic docking/undocking physics for seaplanes and more.

Any real life seaplane pilots in here that maybe could elaborate?

5 Likes

Yes! This is near the top of my wishlist second only to official Helicopter content. Along with the additional features/support for more immersive seaplane interactions etc. I’d love to see the addition of more official floatplanes. Maybe some turboprops and additional amphibious LSA like the Progressive Aerodyne SeaRey?

1 Like

Still not sure why we don’t have this. Being able to land on water with the Icon but not have any water effects just makes it look silly.

2 Likes

I agree but I do think it likely will take a lot of work to add in better functionality. I’m definitely not a programmer so this just a hunch on my end, but adding in more realistic water physics and whatnot probably will take some time. I’d imagine they’d also have to put in a lot more work into the coastlines to clean them up a bit if you ever wanted to do things like beach your plane on an island or something, especially since they don’t always seem to have a clear boundary.

I have also noticed issues with “seams” in the water and occasionally colliding with them when using the ICON… that can be frustrating but I imagine that will also take some work to fix as well.

REGARDLESS, it’s definitely something that should be improved as seaplanes add a unique and fun aspect to aviation. Like how cool would it be to navigate the wilderness in something like a DHC beaver, island hop, or even try to hit targets with a firefighting seaplane?