Floor mounted joystick

I would like to have a full floor mounted control stick – seemingly called a helicopter cyclic stick. Research on the subject indicates these are absurdly expensive! There are YT videos showing adding an extension to a regular joystick (DIY). Has anybody tried this, and if so how does it work? What did you do?

I have the following:
A. THRUSTMASTER T16000M JOYSTICK, THRUSTMASTER TWCS HOTAS, THRUSTMASTER RUDDER PEDALS
B. ANCIENT LOGITECH EXTREME 3D PRO / WINGMAN ATTACK (no longer used).

It looks like it wouldn’t be that difficult to add an extension to the Wingman, and extend the wiring. Is it best to have a crook in the extension, or keep it straight?

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

You certainly have good reasons I don’t know about.
I use my T.16000M as helicopter collective. Works fine include the twist as throttle control.
Hey, it’s a simulator, my imagination is more than capable of imagining that it’s a long stick fixed somewhere to the floor :grin: !
Seems complicated to adapt these sensitive and fragile joysticks.

I would use a cheap joy stick mount on the floor and get the grip off
Than use a broomstick or electrical pipe to extend, (also easy to heat and bend)
And re-attach the grip. Do not forget to extend the wires.
Then were it is set on the floor use springs on the outside and on the cyclic stick to get tension on this device swith springs i mean four (lets say one for a direction of wind or shear news :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)
With usb connect this cheap modified diy device and fly that bird

Greetings to you sir

Sebastiaan

Here is a picture of my modified yoke with ffb made of a logitech wingman racingwheel

1 Like

Yes, I’ve been flying with joysticks for decades. With the short throw of a 6.5" joystick handle the controls are a bit sensitive. I know there are settings to reduce sensitivity, but with rudder pedals and HOTAS why not get the full immersion experience of sitting in a cockpit! The long throw would give more realistic control feeleings. :slightly_smiling_face:

Not sure if you will find it useful but a popular YouTube creator for DCS content did actually modify his T16000M for the purpose of making it into a better cyclic.

This is what I will do. Thanks. I found a dowel in my garage and have plenty of wire, so won’t cost me anything. I will upload a picture when it’s completed.

4 Likes

Floor mounted DIY Joystick created by extending classic Logitech 3D Extreme Pro joystick using materials/supplies at hand (free to me), Here is how I did it, and how it worked out. You may be able to do something similar. All of the stick controls were maintained, including rotation for rudder (with spring centering).
== THE BIGGER YOUR SCREEN THE BETTER YOUR EXPERIENCE ==

3 Likes

Very well done both video and modified joystick Sir and Thank you for sharing this to the community.
This seems garanteed for many of fun flying hours with the satisfaction of your own home adapted joystick. :ok_hand:

Sebastiaan

Thanks! Flying is indeed now more immersive than ever. Now if I could only get someone to make me an Aeronca Champ! :o)

1 Like

Well there is plenty of devellopers around, get on their discords team up with them and ask them if they can devellope and make one.
I think you are convincing enough to make it happen.

No is there and Yes can be given

Sincere

Sebastiaan

Just a thought…Based on the video having 190 views in only 2 days…

If anybody has any pull with Logitech, perhaps they could convince them to put out a modification kit for the 3D Extreme Pro joystick based on my modification. Seems like they would sell a lot! That joystick is still very practical/useful in spite of it’s age. There are probably thousands of them out there. I actually have rudder pedals, but prefer using the twist rudder of the joystick, which works better for doing aerobatics, slips when landing, etc.