Flying Iron Spitfire, How to

Hi all,

I’ve given up on my sim today LOL, after spending nearly an hour trying to get my spitfire started, I discovered it won’t unless the button I have mapped on my new Bravo quadrant for “Fuel Tank Selector 1” is turned on, even though it creates no on-screen effect (odd)

After that I managed a decent taxi, stop and go for a take off only to lift off and be met with the black screen of death and the message that I over-stressed my aircraft.

This continued three more times before I gave up. Every time, I get a nice smooth acceleration, stick back, lots of right rudder, feed the power in to about 7 boost, stick slowly forwards and… over-stress failure.

Is there a secret to getting off the ground? I have done it before but not for about a year now as I have been flying GA planes.

Unfortunately I had to (unrealistically) turn off over stress a very long time ago, this was due just to opening the storm window on the Kodiak!

I believe the same is true with the Spitfire (I think flying iron even recommended it) for the same reason, think it’s to do with the cockpit or something being open

1 Like

OK, thanks, I can see that would fix the issue, never turned it off before though, oh well…

You are correct - closing the canopy at before the takeoff run and all is well, no stress damage.

Second attempt I even managed a half-decent takeoff, flight and landing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I keep stress on so I don’t get lazy and overspeed for a start! But yeh you have to be careful… Was flying the A2A Commanche over Queensland airport (beautiful scenery) and the side window iced up. To get a better view of the landing I cracked open the little side window and…the plane exploded!
Lesson learned :smiley:

1 Like

Don’t ever do innocent things like open small windows or doors in flight sim because you’ll inevitably end up in a burning fireball

Literally can’t have 6 hour flights ending this way any more :grimacing:

And when even the developers start recommending it……well I just do as I’m told :innocent:

1 Like