Flying Iron Spitfire won't start up after updates

I cannot get the flying iron spitfire to turn over since the 1.02 update (updated to 1.03 today and still have the same problem). It worked before and I have been flying Spits in flight sims since Combat Flight Sim 2 (including thousands of hours in DCS) so I’m pretty sure I’m doing it correctly, nevertheless I checked the manual and in game checklist. It just coughs and splutters when I hit the start/booster coil switches and put the mixture into auto, as though it hasn’t been primed enough, but it has. It is driving me crazy. I have noticed that magneto 2 always says “off” in the new tooltip, whether it is up or down, not sure if that is causing it, but I noticed that the hot start plane has magneto 2 in the down position, regardless wherever i put magneto 2, the ■■■■ thing won’t start.

If anyone has any advice, I’d be very greatful.

Hi,

Make sure your mixture and prop settings are correct.

Try a simple Control E.

If it works, then it is your procedure.

Hope this helps?

I flew it yesterday form Coningsby in live weather and it was fantastic.

1 Like

Are you also using the wobble pump and turning on the fuel tank pressurizer?
It worked after SU5, haven’t tried after the hotfix

I can’t start cause I can’t turn primer with the new stupid Lock UI system.
Going back to legacy works :slight_smile:

Thanks, I’ll give control E a try. My other settings are all correct.

This might be it, the real plane (and the manual and in-game checklist for this version) only requires the wobble pump OR the fuel pressure turning on. I will try both. Thanks for your help.

I ended up having to just map the primer pump to a key press as I cannot unlock it with the mouse wheel. That seems to bypass the lock and it pumps correctly.

I tried everything above, no joy. It works with CTRL+E and I can then cut the engine and restart it, however, it still won’t work from cold start. my friend also has this add-on and we have tried together, doing exactly the same actions, it works for him and not for me.

In non-legacy and legacy it turns to open using the mouse wheel, but in legacy you push and pull using the right mouse button - non-legacy, just hold the left button and pull and release several times.
Also, it seems now you don’t have to switch the battery on as before (despite a Spit not having a battery starter) (battery switch behind throttle lever).

I just had this issue. But the key to map is: Instruments and Systems/Engine Instruments/Engine Primer. Just map it to a key or j/s button and it will bypass the lock.

I have this exact issue. Even when I assigned a key to the primer I could use the primer but it still won’t start. I’ve gone over it again and again with two others who use the spitfire and they have no issues starting it
Any other ideas would be welcome. Thanks

Are those people having trouble when they assign buttons using the Honeycomb Alpha yoke or Bravo Throttle?

I don’t have either, but those controllers’ buttons send a continuous signal which breaks MSFS’s interface.

I think that the key mapping, although you can see it moving the primer, doesn’t actually work. What I had to do to get it to work was change the input method to legacy (the non-legacy input method wouldn’t allow me to unlock the primer) then use the mouse wheel to unlock the primer and mouse clicks to charge it. That got it working for me.

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS here, so not the Honeycomb.

1 Like

I’m not sure what it means to change to legacy? How do I do that?did you have the same issue. I can also make the primer move with the key I binded to it.
I literally have through every other procedure correctly. It cranks but just won’t fire up. Thanks

If you have any liveries, make sure they don’t have a panel directory. They shouldn’t, but it’s something to check. Personally, if you have any liveries, and you’re having trouble like this, I’d remove them all and get the plane working first.

Thanks Tom but I didn’t even get as far as getting more liveries. I only got the spitfire yesterday and have been trying to get passed this issue since.
I did read something about the market place version mot being fully up to date yet. Do you think it may be related to that?

It’s possible. I do own it, but haven’t flown it since SU5 dropped. I’ll take a look at it tonight when I get home.

Great, thanks. Sure let me know if you have the same issue. I’ll try a few other things myself if I can get on later too. Changing setting to legacy for one.

1 Like

Sorry, I wasn’t very clear. Before SU5 the way we interracted with the controls using the mouse was different, it changed with SU5 (for example tool tip pop-ups got bigger and things highlight in blue now when you move the mouse over them) to make the sim more xbox friendly. You can change an option to change it back to the pre-SU5 way of doing things, that is the legacy I was talking about. This video explains quickly how to change it back.

1 Like