FlyingIron Silver Spitfire - Round the World - icing problems

I’m attempting to recreate the Silver Spitfire RTW flight (using the extra fuel tanks mod) but run into severe icing problems on the Lossiemouth-Reykavik leg.

I know that you can’t totally disable the (appalling) icing textures, but you can at least disable the icing effects (in “Assistance”).

However - I found that even though I was flying at only 12,000ft my engine gradually died roughly half way there. Should I be flying those legs much lower? Why am I still getting icing effects even though it’s disabled?

Not sure if you are trying to use ‘Live’ weather or not.
I was flying over the UK using SoFly’ s “UK Spring Weather” & struck light cloud at 8,500’ & icing started.
Prior to that, in clear air at that altitude, no icing.
The presence of moisture seems to kick it in.
If you can fiddle the weather then I would be inclined to run at low altitude & clear skies in the colder latitudes.

There is a tweak I have seen on a few aircraft, but it requires there to be in Systems.cfg a line that says something like:
De-Ice Set =0, & you change the ‘0’ to ‘1’.
You then you need to search your Keyboard ‘All’ bindings & find De-Ice. Then map it to something.
I used Ctrl + D.
TG

1 Like

From the included manual:

“When flying above 12k ft in altitude, ensure that the fuel pressurization ■■■■ is set ON to prevent engine failure. Do not exceed 100°C Oil Temperature and 125°C Coolant Temperature.”

Maybe that’s what is happening?

1 Like

Wow! I’m in awe of this community! Yes - I was using real weather (Unreal Weather mod). Thanks for both suggestions … I’ll give both a whirl. I skimmed through the manual (mea culpa) but thought that fuel pressurisation was INOP, so didn’t think to use it. Drat!!!

EDIT/UPDATE: Fuel pressurisation did the trick … many thanks! Made it in one hop, from Lossiemouth to Reykavik … with only a few lbs of fuel left. This was flown mainly at 20,000ft.

1 Like